What's for Dinner #21 - 05/2017 - Garden Banquet edition

again, very little time in the kitchen in the last week. tonight i finally cooked (well, actually cooked it yesterday, heated up today.) andouille sausage with leeks, garlic, baby spinach & broccoli, tomatoes, chicken stock, and first time using my Penzey’s Sunny Paris herb blend (shallots, chives, green peppercorn, dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil and bay leaf). A splash of sherry vinegar when reheating, a little parm shaved over the top. Creamy polenta with gruyere soaked up the soupiness. Yum.

oops, editing to add a salad i did make Friday night… sort of a mexi-steak salad - rib eye, over tons of romaine, avo, tomatoes, cukes, scallions, cilantro, jalapenos, etc. in a Tapatio vinaigrette (my only nod to Cinco de Mayo.) steak turned out nicely, even though i didn’t do a reverse sear this time.

Out for dinner again tomorrow night with the BF as it’s my last night in town before a 5 day trip with my sister to Mexico City. Very excited!!! i’ll be posting about it on HO - i realized there are no posts about MC on here at all!

now to peruse all your yummy meals…

10 Likes

thank you for that! we always have leftover celery!

1 Like

especially loving the fish dishes!

packing up parents from their ancestral home is a lot of work - glad you got your pay-off! (besides helping your dad, of course.) i am so jealous of you all who get ramps…

incredible! heading over to the Spanish thread in a minute.

These days, a lot of Asian cooking.

Stir fry squid with lemon grass, curry, Vietnamese nuoc mam, spring onion, aneth oil, lemon juice… Very good.

Spring vegetables including sugar snap peas, mushrooms, radish, chill, fresh peppers, lemon glass, curry and coconut milk

The mini asparagus cooked in Thai style, spring vegetables (peas, mushrooms, radish) in a curry sauce and coconut milk. Served with roasted potatoes.

Yesterday was beef pho with some herbs from home

9 Likes

Lucky you! Have fun!

2 Likes

You made the noodles too? Adding apple, interesting, so unconventional!

Yes, I have learned to just score my squids myself instead of buy ing the scored ones.
I love cooking squids with szechuan peppercorn and spices

I didn’t know that you can buy scored squids. Yes, they are always great with peppers and spices!

I wasn’t around for 3 days and just look at all the amazing meals you people have made!

Mine last 3 dinners in a row:

I had the last of Chinese roasted pork and these “bread buns” in the freezer to use up (finally!) so I steamed them both. East and West, not East meets West.

Have a little problem with making photos too late in the day in the spring and summer even if there’s still natural light. The sunset makes everything yellow. I have to adjust white balance in post processing and apply a filter to remove most of the strong yellow hue.

Gotta have my asparagus every day. My first 2 chive blossoms from the garden.

Chicken breast with mineola. Recipe calls for orange but I prefer mineola. They are sweeter and smaller. Also, having recently returned from being away for a week I don’t have any parsley in the house but lots of chives in my garden.

There’s some Grand Marnier in the sauce. Don’t mind if I do!

Recipe wants you to puree the sauce and the stuff in it but I thought hmm… no. I would mix it with the Spanish rice to moisten it and give it flavour. The whole meal was very nice. Would make it again.

Today: coarsely chopped up chicken meat and vegs. Loosely based on a Thai dish called “larb”. Fish sauce, garlic, lime juice, palm sugar, chillies etc are used to season it. I also added ginger and onion. The meat has 2 colours because there’s saved trimmed bits of chicken breasts from the meal above/yesterday and 2 chicken thighs I bought today.

There were other vegs as well but they were too much for the photo.

7 Likes

Good heavens, no. Shiratake noodles are WAY beyond my skill set. I was was cooking for 3 days just to do broth, char sui, menma, and eggs.

the Asian stores sell the scored ones, I just score the inside, slice them into 2-3 inches buy 2 inches and drop the in boiling water for a second, then they curl up

Tonight I made seafood cakes using frozen Patagonian scallops and a small filet of flounder to make cakes using a dollop of mayo/sour cream mixed with panko as a binder. Liked the little bit of sour cream in the mix.

Served with sautéed corn and sliced green beans with a touch of onion and a lettuce and tomatoes salad

10 Likes

What are the greens next to your “larb” dish…? They almost look like dandelion greens but there’s a radish or baby turnip on them?
Your photography is always impressive even with your so called lighting challenges that aren’t noticed by non-professionals!

Nashville hot chicken with collard greens. Good, but unfortunately, not nearly as hot as they used to make it. Boo.

Tonight was asparagus risotto.

7 Likes

Last night was late, got home exhausted and really just needed something my tummy before sleep.
I made the last cup of kimchi ramen while sipping my cider vinegar drink, added in cubed tofu, then scallions and cilantro to the top. Side of sliced cucumber with furikake. How does that cup make So Many Noodles??? Couldn’t finish them all.

Tonight we admitted we had to stay late and ordered in , (when in denial we don’t order thinking we will “just finish this” and leave…) i got Beyond Sushi which is new to our work neighborhood, the mushroom roll, a side of (spicy!) kimchi, and white miso soup. Fantastic.
Glass of Oh Crap its Wednesday Wine once i got home.
http://beyondsushinyc.com/beyondnew/menu

2 Likes

Seared ahi , Jasmine rice with dill , mixed salad with miso dressing . Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

5 Likes

Dinner is secondary and quick to make - sketti and sauce and a crusty buttered roll. And some wine.

More important is: Meet Finnegan, the newest member to the El Whitty Household. :smiley:

Alfie and he sniffed at each other while Finn was still in the carrier. I brought Alfie into the 2nd BR for a quick meet-and-greet. A hiss or two from Finn when Alfie got too close; and then one from Alfie when Finn got too close and Alfie didn’t realize he was there (Alfie was sniffing something else).

I’m going to let Finn settle in in the 2nd BR tonight and then do a longer introduction tomorrow - maybe letting Finn explore the rest of the house. Finn and I had a nice cuddle and purr time as well. I think it’s going to work out once the boyz figure each other out. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

:heart: :slight_smile:

1 Like