What's for Dinner #21 - 05/2017 - Garden Banquet edition

Can you put a tarp over the lettuce to try and protect it tonight? My dad always did that with the lemon tree in cold nights.
Love the Alphie closeup!

I used the rest of my korean rice cakes in a stir fry with lots of nappa cabbage and a mix of soy sauce and a little toasted sesame oil. Also roasted some radishes and the greens with some toasted sesame oil and smoked salt. A bit of kimchi on the side- i bought a new jar and it packs a big kick so it will last longer since i’m such a wimp!
I’ve been playing around with apple cider vinegar drinks this weekend (i found a huge jar of Bragg’s on crazy sale!) and settled on a ginger lemon version using a super potent ginger lemon fresh juice i made and a splash of the vinegar with some seltzer. Very refreshing and tasty as my pre-dinner while cooking beverage

5 Likes

Cauliflower salad and meatballs in saffron sauce (details in the Spanish thread).

5 Likes

WFD tonight . Sesame seared ahi tuna with ginger , soy sauce . Some rice . Arugula and mixed green salad . Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

1 Like

Someone on a FB group mentioned that very thing - I forgot I had some thin plastic in the storage shed off my deck, so I went out and tucked that over the lettuces and chard. They seemed OK - although the chard still seems a bit the worse for wear - not sure if the transplanting to the larger container put them into shock. We’ll see how they fared when I get home tonight - we’ve had a bit of sun, so I’m hoping the plants perked up a bit.

1 Like

Now that will really make my day!

1 Like

Lest over BBQ chuck with potato salad

7 Likes

What meat is that? Looks delicious the whole meal!

1 Like

Homemade ramen 2.0 with shiratake noodles. This was MUCH better than the 1st version. I reduced the kombu & added 1/2 apple to the pressure cooker (read somewhere this adds sweetness). Served with wood ear/oyster mushrooms, baby bok choy, menma (bamboo shoots), & scallions. One more tweek & I should have it exactly how I want it. This is by no means genuine Japanese Ramen but it works in this house.

10 Likes

A very barky chuck roast. Salt and peppered it and it hung out a day too long in the fridge. Overall I was okay with it. Lead to good bark formation. This was the last of it with a fresh potato salad to give it new life. Was as good the second go round.

4 Likes

Glass of my cider vinegar/lemon/ginger seltzer combo while sorting out dinner. It was COLD today! Well not that cold but they have the AC on in my office so i was desperate to warm up once home.
Frozen homemade creamy tomato soup (creamy from blended white beans and cashews), while that warmed up i made some tempeh “croutons” - just smallish cubes of tempeh seared with a little olive oil and salt/pepper until the outsides are browned and kind of crisp.
Those went into my big bowl of soup, lots of fresh basil on top. Finally warmed me up!

1 Like

again, very little time in the kitchen in the last week. tonight i finally cooked (well, actually cooked it yesterday, heated up today.) andouille sausage with leeks, garlic, baby spinach & broccoli, tomatoes, chicken stock, and first time using my Penzey’s Sunny Paris herb blend (shallots, chives, green peppercorn, dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil and bay leaf). A splash of sherry vinegar when reheating, a little parm shaved over the top. Creamy polenta with gruyere soaked up the soupiness. Yum.

oops, editing to add a salad i did make Friday night… sort of a mexi-steak salad - rib eye, over tons of romaine, avo, tomatoes, cukes, scallions, cilantro, jalapenos, etc. in a Tapatio vinaigrette (my only nod to Cinco de Mayo.) steak turned out nicely, even though i didn’t do a reverse sear this time.

Out for dinner again tomorrow night with the BF as it’s my last night in town before a 5 day trip with my sister to Mexico City. Very excited!!! i’ll be posting about it on HO - i realized there are no posts about MC on here at all!

now to peruse all your yummy meals…

10 Likes

thank you for that! we always have leftover celery!

1 Like

especially loving the fish dishes!

packing up parents from their ancestral home is a lot of work - glad you got your pay-off! (besides helping your dad, of course.) i am so jealous of you all who get ramps…

incredible! heading over to the Spanish thread in a minute.

These days, a lot of Asian cooking.

Stir fry squid with lemon grass, curry, Vietnamese nuoc mam, spring onion, aneth oil, lemon juice… Very good.

Spring vegetables including sugar snap peas, mushrooms, radish, chill, fresh peppers, lemon glass, curry and coconut milk

The mini asparagus cooked in Thai style, spring vegetables (peas, mushrooms, radish) in a curry sauce and coconut milk. Served with roasted potatoes.

Yesterday was beef pho with some herbs from home

9 Likes

Lucky you! Have fun!

2 Likes

You made the noodles too? Adding apple, interesting, so unconventional!

Yes, I have learned to just score my squids myself instead of buy ing the scored ones.
I love cooking squids with szechuan peppercorn and spices