What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Not really easy to galet a bowl of curry to look good😔 onions carrots peppers green tomatoes and bamboo with karee paste and cocnut milk on noodles. I am so mad because i looked at wide noodles but grabbed thin ones. But green tomatoes cook down well in any curry really they also make great pickles

5 Likes

I dislike the texture of pears also. I have found cooked pears don’t seem as gritty and now enjoy them that way. I love them juiced too.

I am willing to try another type pear to see if I might like it. It isnt like it was terribly distasteful.

Now chitlins…no way no how. Never. No matter how they are prepared. Tried it, tried it again. No, just no. :wink:

1 Like

Tonight is a fridge cleaning meal. Frittata with potato, mushroom and leeks. Pickled beets and a salad-ish mix of leftover roasted Brussel sprouts, blue cheese and walnuts.

1 Like

Busy weekend with lots of meals out, but tonight was finally a quiet evening at home. Dinner was panko crusted chicken breast strips that had soaked in seasonings and buttermilk for a few hours. Sides were rosemary olive oil potatoes that roasted with the chicken and a green salad.

1 Like

So glad you’re on the mend, but really bummed to know it’s flu season in our area so early!

Must have recipe, if it’s not a trade secret, looks beautiful!

Pork shoulder chop came out fab. I love that cut - so tender and juicy!

The burrata salad was also nice… Ima miss those tomatoes, I tellz ya :cry:

12 Likes

Both look fab! I had to throw away a ball of burrata yesterday, a sad and shameful moment in my kitchen.

2 Likes

Blasphemy!

2 Likes

Burrata salad and caprese are mostly what I’ve eaten daily for months! Had to toss out the mater plants two weeks ago, the last window sill ripened Orange Amana eaten with burrata yesterday. I pile the chiffonade high, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope you had the decency to hang black crepe.

It’s also how I usher in the end of DST.

1 Like

Excellent! Tomatoes reign supreme!

A dry Riesling and some Greek oregano would complete this lovely meal.

(my last night in Greece)

1 Like

Oh, there’s some oregano in the piggy rub, my dear.

We still have some thin, cold-smoked steaks in the freezer from last year. So one of those with a potato and leek galette (never made one before) with some watercress drizzled with oo & lemon juice. Next time I’ll cook it longer and higher to get it darker but it was really good.

5 Likes

The local store actually got some fresh rabbit in for a change, so dinner last night was braised rabbit with carrots. Very tasty with a fresh bun of the bready kind to mop up the sauce. Now if I could only get the “little bunny foofoo” song out of my head.

5 Likes

Thanks for putting it in my head.

3 Likes

I have two meetings after work for community stuff and will get in late and tired. leftovers and a glass(s) of wine will be in order pot roast is defrosted…
Meanwhile in TX the notorious houseguests are in the delivery room expecting a baby boy today so I am on the edge of my seat and driven to distraction waiting for news.
This is my best friend, my brother really so I am very excited and worried at the same time. Hopefully by dinner time I can pop a cork in celebration and start thinking about planning a trip West but in the meantime I am totally unable to focus.

11 Likes

I managed to make an extremely tasty meatloaf yesterday using ground beef-bacon mix (from MEat in Kittery ME) and ground beef-pork mix from an Italian butcher that Berheenia turned me onto 2 or 3 years ago. (Has she made it over here yet?). So many things I normally add are currently off-limits for me but I added duxelles and Worcestershire for extra flavor along with breadcrumbs, eggs, ketchup, and celery and carrot that I blitzed up in the FP. I think mostly due to the amazing meat I didn’t even miss all the things that were not in it. Mashed 'taters and soft-cooked green beans rounded out the plate and the whole meal will make a reappearance tonight.

4 Likes

Good luck to your friends, JT. How exciting this is for you, knowing how you and he have been such good friends for years. Let us know the outcome…

1 Like

Pacific lime chicken from Diana Henry’s Cook Simple. this was meant to be something else, but apparently, I have no passata or tinned tomatoes in the house :flushed::grin::tired_face:, so this, as is often the case, was my plan B.

8 Likes