What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Last night was macaroni cheese with kale, broccoli, kale and bacon. Had bacon and kale left and also made too much macaroni. So making a frittata using the bacon, macaroni and kale. Also adding soaked dried porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquor and fried fresh mushrooms.

5 Likes

That looks really good. Pear and almond is such a great combo.

2 Likes

I bought an unbelievably gorgeous and HUGE bunch of broccoli rabe from my neighborhood farm yesterday (Lex Farm for those in the Boston area). I didn’t take a photo but it was big, beautiful, and bodacious! This afternoon, I decided to make a broccoli rabe/soy sausage soup (TJ’s Italian Soy Sausage, which - so sue me - both B and I love). I threw in onions, garlic, crushed red chili flakes, chickpeas, carrot, and potato. Man, I am tasting it right now and it is delicious. I looked on-line just now and, of course, I wasn’t the first to come up with the idea. Rachael Ray et al had also published a recipe. Whatevs…It’s delicious, and I’m gonna make breadsticks to go with it. Copious red wine, I’m sure, will accompany. B will be happy.

6 Likes

digga, have you been getting the potatoes they’ve been selling lately? unbelievably good…

PIZZA ! We’re having PIZZA tonight ! I have not had PIZZA for ages. OK, so we’re not making it from scratch. An outpost of a well known pizzeria in the North End is. But I Don’t Care. It’s PIZZA! From Regina. Well, from Polcari’s but it’s really Regina’s PIZZA. Quatro Formaggio for me. I don’t know what George is ordering but I’ll taste it anyway. It’s PIZZA!

And people stop calling it pie. It’s PIZZA. PEA-tsah.

10 Likes

i don’t even know who you are anymore!

2 Likes

Stew! Beef chuck chunks are now simmering gently in beef broth, red wine, bay leaves & fresh thyme, a couple chunks of onion & garlic… Small red potatoes, carrots, parsnip, celery, red pepper, and a can of diced tomatoes to join in about half an hour.

2 Likes

I agree with the texture and grittiness, but these seem to be smoother. And definitely sweeter.

But the whole thing is a Pizza PIE. A whole pie.

But it’s slices of pizza.

1 Like
1 Like

Kitchenangel, the chicken looks and sounds great! How was it?

I had burrata salad too, copious amounts of basil with left over FM tomato. I think that was the night I made a faux chicken cassoulet. Long days and late dinners haven’t been very inspiring. Haute dogs and left over orzo salad, large dinner salad with left over pork tenderloin. Tonight was my version of a Pierre Franey recipe for tarrgon chicken and a green salad. Of course there was lots of booze and wine.

3 Likes

I’ve had a craving for beef and MariaCarmens steak was the final straw. This is a really straight-up technique albeit a bit messy. The cooked garlic was wonderful! Served the ribeye with a simple green salad with homemade buttermilk blue cheese dressing, baked potato with butter, sour cream and chives and a baked onion. Have half the onion and potato leftover which will probably become hash with an easy over egg.

4 Likes

Thanks! Email me a reminder and I’ll send you the recipe.

1 Like

I HIGHLY recommend teflon Pan liners for pizza. I build the pizza on the liner and slide liner, pizza, and all onto the preheated stone. I pull the liner out after a couple of minutes, just because I think it’ll make the liner last longer. Which really hasn’t been a problem as my oldest (Super Parchment) is about 5 years old now.

Neither I nor my son have ever been able to get the hang of getting a pizza off the paddle and into the oven - at least not if you don’t count when it’s all over the back of the oven, and the floor of the oven, and the oven door, and the floor, and maybe your hair as well … until I got my first Super Parchment.

2 Likes

I see frozen and canned grandules in the little grocery store not far from me all the time- but i steamed the frozen and they never got soft like a bean… Did i screw up? Are canned actually better?

They had a perfect baby boy mom is doing great I am happy for them my buddy has had a rough road in life but has really stepped to the plate here and the kid is beautiful. Gotta get down to TX soon visit and get me some tex mex too.

9 Likes

Congratulations on your pending “uncle” status!!
That’s exciting and definitely worth some good bubbles!

Hey! That TJs italian soy sausage is good stuff! (I’m a big fan of their soyrizo for soups and stews too)
Sounds like a delicious dinner to me…(you DID have some toast for dunking, right?)

I cooked a bunch over the weekend in anticipation of another killer week yet was thrilled to leave the office "early " today at 7:30! Woo-hoo!
I stopped off for some dishwasher soap and next thing you know i came home with a bag of that Peppridge farms cornbread stuffing too…
So tonight i sautéed some onion/carrot/celery and made some stuffing! Smelled like thanksgiving came early :slight_smile: side of sautéed kale with some smoked tofu. Random but i needed some greens. Glass of new to me lovely reisling a la carte. (Pic of label)

3 Likes