What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Whoops! Just posted to the older thread and have no idea how to move it here.

(EDIT) Thanks, LindaWhit!

1 Like

(Attempting to re-post from the inaugural WFD…)

Last night we each had a big bowl of Tuscan sausage, bean and pasta soup, served with a crusty loaf of bread from the Bakers at Red Lion – two women who live nearby who bake bread a few days a week. When there’s bread available, a French flag hangs outside the door of their self-serve bakery space in the basement of their home. When the bread is gone, the door is locked and the flag comes down.

8 Likes

Between the devil fingers and skeletons it’s sounding like Halloween!

1 Like

I forgot this is the first weekend of the State Fair. Traffic was backed up for miles - even on the roads I attempted to detour. So one hour became two and I was hungry!

Popped by a wonderful Middle Eastern deli for their sampler plate to go (4 salads or sides). Got tabbouleh, mujadara, eggplant salad and chickpea salad. Their chickpea salad is fantastic but I can’t seem to duplicate it - green olives, parsley, lemon and ??? Continued on to Costco for a rotisserie chicken. So dinner was a quarter of dark meat, mujadara with lots of caramelized onions and tabbouleh.

The left overs should cover most of my at home meals before I head back for the job.

5 Likes

Been down for the count with the flu since Thursday, so I haven’t been cooking. Fortunately I woke up feeling somewhat like a human being today, so I did a little baking. Flourless pistachio-almond pear cake with autumn spices (cardamom, ginger, cinnamon). I made hummus late this afternoon and ate it with some leftover veg, so likely no dinner around here tonight. I’ll try to make something worth posting tomorrow :slight_smile: Hope you all had a great weekend!

10 Likes

HA! Just wanted to check out the “quote reply” feature but nonetheless I haven’t tried TJs pizza dough but have read good things about it. Could you elaborate on what he/y’all do with it prior to cooking? TIA

I saw that video and it and your steak look great!

Cindy, where do you live? While that is a bit pricy - is it a regular baguette or a larger pain de campagne? I’m sure it is worth the money, and so charming.

TBH, last night wasn’t the best pizza baking demo in recent history :laughing:

TJ’s was out of their regular dough (we don’t do whole wheat - blech), so we went with the garlic crust. All you do is flour the counter and roll out the dough. Oh, and preheat your pizza stone for about an hour at 450. And dont forget to put corn meal on the stone… which is exactly what my man did last night. Dough stuck to the stone, was half-cooked when removed, so we had to toss it. Luckily, we had another package. Once you got the dough on the pizza stone, you put on the sauce, cheese, toppings, then back into the oven (bottom rack) & bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust has your desired consistency.

1 Like

Tonight we’re having a massive, nice & thick pork shoulder chop from the grill - it’s currently marinating in olive oil, RWV, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, basil, fennel seeds, lemon pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, 21 seasonings salute & kosher salt.

Side will be a salad of TJ’s burrata, the last of the FM tomatoes, some very ripe avocado & basil.

5 Likes

I’m in southern Chester County, PA, about 35 miles SW of Philly.

It’s a good size loaf, but it’s not mass-produced and the “charm” and the “love” are built into the price. :yum:

2 Likes

Glad that you are feeling better :slight_smile: The cake looks wonderful. I love pistachios and I love almonds, but I just dont like pears. Never have. They taste gritty to me.

Of course, because I dont like pears, I have been pear’d to death…“you will love these”…“eat these, it will change your mind”. The best one, “Eat this, you cant even taste the pear in it”. ? Then why?

Anyway, glad to see that you are feeling better and looking forward to your postings.

Roasted butternut squash bisque, sourdough toast with fresh chive chèvre.

7 Likes

Thanks for your kind words, Robin, and I completely understand your aversion to the gritty texture. Fortunately in this cake, aside from the visible garnish on top all the pear in it has been cooked and pureed :slight_smile: If I may make a suggestion and you’re open to trying pears just one last time, look for the small variety known as Seckel. They’re much smoother than the other varieties and have a lovely flavor. I promise they’re not gritty!

1 Like

Made some chicken-corn-roasted red pepper chowder for the freezer, some lunches, and tonight’s dinner. Garnished with some extra corn, chopped fresh parsley, chives, and a few sprinkles of ground sumac.

A crusty buttered roll alongside. That’s it.

I’ll probably slice up a Seckle pear and some cheddar cheese for “afters”.

9 Likes

Thats a pretty cool concept suprises abound in the region.

Friday was a quick but satisfying dinner of griddle burgers saturday went up to visit the parents dad has been getting creative in the kitchen a good hobby as he is facing full retirement and made currried shrimp and rice and a carrot ginger soup for lunch. Then to Moms for filet and lobster dinner with my brother and sister it was as always great. Tonight with frost on the way pulled the last stragglers from the vine for a green tomato curry

7 Likes

Posted to low carb thread, but wanted to share my first ever experience with braised beef cheeks tonight, using a recipe from epicurious.com… very simple braise, using my InstantPot on saute to brown the cheeks then soften the mirepoix, added the beef cheeks back, some red wine and whole plum maters, a 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder and Wah Lah (or, alternatively, VOY LAH!).

Love these, will do them again. A one hour braise, cannot hate that.

3 Likes

I have several cups of green cherry tomatoes that I’m trying to decide what to use them in. Could you describe your curry please?

Ok, Thats it. I have to try a Seckle pear. :wink:

2 Likes