What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Love nasi goreng. Glad to see the fried egg, it’s a must and having eaten it a lot thought it was standard. Only place I’ve had it without was Malaysia of all places.

Yep. Sometimes I see recipes with an omelette shredded through, but my experience was always a fried egg. I’m just missing the satay and achar on the side😕. I think I pretty much ate this every single week when I lived in Singapore.

Tonight so far I’ve split and roasted a turban squash plus the seeds (the seeds turned out ok but could have used another five minutes probably; somehow I always pull seeds out early). One half of the squash I mixed with salt, butter and honey, and that’s fine.

For the other, I’d seen a suggestion to pour soy sauce on it, so I thought I’d get fancy. Melted some butter and toasted some minced ginger for a bit, then splashed some soy sauce in at the end before mixing it all into the squash. It’s…not terrible, but the balance is way off. Some heat would help but my niece wouldn’t touch it if I did that.

This is an attempt to repost something I posted earlier to #1 and deleted, but the site says it’s too similar to something I’ve posted, so maybe this will make it less similar?

Is a “lamby-porkburger” a combo of the two meats ground? Do you grind them?

It’s Friday, and usually I’d be heading to the pub for a cheeborger club, a few pints of lager, a couple of tunes with my boys, yadda yadda yadda.

However, we have 2 shows tomorrow night, so I think I might just save my voice instead and forego that part of the weekly routine. CBDTR might still happen, of course. Of course.

Happy weekend, y’all!

3 Likes

Cheeseburger club and a few pints sounds like time well spent. Enjoy.

1 Like

Gather ye porcini while ye may, and tonight’s dinner turned out to be simply delicious, with no real effort on my part or credit to me.

Picked up fresh porcini at the market (again!), and sliced raw turkey breast. Sautéed the mushrooms in butter. salt. pepper (they were too delicious add wine or anything else), separately sautéed half an onion and a small amount of celery heart & leaves, plus aromatics, in particular sage. Pan fried the turkey slices, spooned the mushrooms and the onion/celery melange over the turkey and — mamma mia, was it good.

Before that we ate Giovanni Rana tortellini stuffed with ricotta & spinach, just dressed in butter and a sage. Oatmeal cookie and blueberries for dessert.

4 Likes

Yes, a mixture. I don’t grind, can’t manage it any more, the ground organic meats come from Whole Food Mkt.

I love my KA grinder SO much. So easy. Does WF have that as a mix or do they mix it for you?

Wild arctic char fillet, roasted beet “pesto,” parsnip puree, and a salad of fennel, radicchio, beet, micro arugula and grapefruit.

13 Likes

Pasta with broccoflower, Sicilian-style. This means currants, toasted pinoli, saffron and white wine in an olive oil-based sauce with garlic and hot pepper flakes. It’s on the stove as I type this, and I may post a photo later on…

5 Likes

So sorry for your loss, Boyzoma.

I buy separate 1 lb ground meats, freeze at home in 1/4 lb. pkgs, thaw what I want, mix together.

1 Like

Still solo, so I made a quick post work snack…baguette, fresh ricotta, and a few slow cooked cherry tomatoes. It’s Friday so there will be wine. Not sure if there will be anything else for dinner.

11 Likes

Beautiful

As mentioned above:

5 Likes

When we first started grinding our own meat, we made 6oz. burgers. Then down to 5 and now we do 4oz ones. With all the toppings we put on them that seems plenty. Thanks, Gio

Welcome, HolyTerroir! Or should I say, “benvenuto(a)”?

Pizza and salad for dinner tonight. Store bought crust, homemade Sun Gold sauce, chorizo, red and Padron peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, burrata and basil. I like my pizza fully loaded, can you tell? And there was red wine, dessert is a ManHATun, double cherries.anHATun.

7 Likes

Frontera chili starter is ok - fine in a pinch and certainly not bad. I’ll stick with homemade.