What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Looks wonderful. What kind of dressing is that? I am always on the lookout for a good creamy dressing recipe. I am partial to creamy dressings, but I am in a rut with the same ole blue cheese, ranch, mustard…

Just Good Seasons Italian with a dab of mayo added.

I baked a chicken for supper last night and planned on having cold chicken sandwiches tonight. Sometimes just some sliced chicken breast on white bread with mayo, chips, and a pickle on the side is just the ticket. Well, the ticket ended up straying a bit from its intended destination after I spotted some swiss in the drawer that I bought last week and forgot about. So it became a chicken sandwich with some swiss. But that didnt really sound good on white bread .I think some things just belong on white bread, TGiving turkey, and chicken especially but when you start introducing cheese in the mix.not so good.

Because the cheese joined the party I got out some rye bread from the cabinet. It wasnt as fresh as I like for a cold sandwich so…grilled cheese and chicken sandwich it is! Except…I have some ham too…

So, my cold chicken sandwich became a grilled chicken ham and swiss. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks.

oh how i’ve missed your food pics!

and yes, i certainly will!

so sorry for you and your family. so, so hard. i was just boo-hooing earlier about my mom, and it’s been 5 years almost. Poor hubs. he’s very lucky to have you thinking of him. i’m also glad your mil’s pain - and your attendant suffering over it - are over… big hugs to you all.

Robin, you should google “Realtor’s Buttermilk Dressing.” it made the rounds on the old CH WFD, and i think everyone who made it loved it. i sure did.

3 Likes

harrowing! glad you’re back safe and sound. and if i cooked anywhere near as beautifully as you, i’d miss my homecooking when i’m abroad too.

Thanks! I will!

2 Likes

well i’ve had no better luck cooking this week - in fact, the only bit i did was a quick prep of a salsa verde for some salt potatoes i made for my lunches, which garnered a slashed-up index finger as a result of my idiocy with a stick blender. don’t ask. it’s on the mend.

The BF turned that leftover steak from Saturday night into tacos for the both of us one night. last night was another happy hour out, and the BF cooked again tonight. at my request, he cooked up the brussels sprouts i bought over the weekend with some bacon, braised in apple cider vinegar and honey, which was a nice touch. fried taters under a poached egg with a mustardy-honey dressing, a few radish sprouts for fanciness, and a brat he sauteed in bacon fat.

tomorrow night i’m going to a cocktail party and i’m in charge of the cocktails! copa verde, will be the drink du nuit, from a restaurant me and a friend went to recently. it’s basically a mezcal margarita made with fresh lime juice/simple syrup blended with cilantro and sprinkled with chipotle powder. i hope i can pull off a big batch of them. Happy weekend!

8 Likes

@Vvvindaloo

That would be benvenuta. Grazie!

What kind of pasta did use in your dish (which looks worthy of a Sicilian grandmother’s table) – ? Looks like candele, or maybe even maccheroni di natale.

By the way, Italians would call your broccoflower romanesco.

No shame in admitting someone does half/all the cooking. For a couple of years my partner cooked us dinner almost every day simply because I had zero energy when I got home. I needed my own private “intensive care” at home as a hospice/palliative care worker!

I deleted all my photos on that wretched site during the beta and pretty much nearly stopped posting altogether! (about 1 post per week)

Re Alvarinho, it is one of my favourites and a lot harder to find outside of Portugal, especially as vinho verde. Have a look at my Porto trip photos for ideas what to bring back. I loved Lisboa, too. Was there in 2005.

2 Likes

Saturday night and back in the kitchen after three weeks away (although this dinner is more about shopping than cooking).

To start …Morecambe Bay potted shrimps

To continue… classic roast - in this case, local lamb shoulder, gravy, roast spuds, root & leaf veg (whatever looks good at the supermarket)

To follow …cheese…we need something poky after all that bland American stuff. Blackstick’s or Shropshire Blue for favourite.

To finish …whatever the Waitrose patisserie counter has that’s looking good and sticky.

6 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to have had both many times here in Sf Bay Area. and love it. Not too much we don’t get here!

and thanks, I’ll definitely take a look at your pics. here or on CH? thank you!

no shame, just miss cooking myself.

That’s exactly right, HolyTerroir! Sometimes it’s Broccolo and sometimes it’s Cavolfiore but always Romanesco :slight_smile:
I broke with tradition a bit in making these. The pasta typically associated with this dish is Bucatini. I used what the Pugliesi call “Fusilli” (it was a brand from Puglia), but which I would call Strozzapreti (I am of Abruzzese origin).
I also omitted the toasted bread crumb/anchovy topping that would normally go on this dish because I just kind of felt like it. There was too much going on.

Interesting, Vvvindaloo. I would never think of those as fusilli – which I always associate with a spiraling pasta, about the length of penne, and which I thought got its name from mimicking the spiral inside the barrel of a rifle (in Italian word for rifle being fucile). Most of the strozzapreti I have seen have been homemade, so it isn’t quite as uniform as the pasta in in your picture. Now that I look more closely at the pasta shapes in your picture, I can see they are not long like candele. They sort of also remind me of the maccheroni di busa of Sardegna.

Further up in the thread, I also described a broccoli pasta dish I made, but that was more styled in the vein of Pugliese dish, made with orrechiette (and I substituted pipette rigate because that’s what I had, and left out the anchovy because I didn’t have any – However, I included the toasted bread crumbs – mollica!-- because it is a favorite of mine.)

The only part of Abruzzo I have ever been in is Pescara, and that was just to pick up a car and drive to Molise. I hope to go to Abruzzo in late spring of next year to see as much as the region as possible, and in particular I want to visit Fara San Martino because – as you can see – I am quite enamored of all the many varities of dried pasta. :spaghetti:

I am obsessed with pasta in general, HT. Personally, I think of strozzapreti as being just like these only longer. It seems that the only pasta shapes with universally recognized names are spaghetti and penne! I keep going back and looking for your broccoli post, but I’m on my phone and I just can’t find it. I need to start using my laptop more for this site… I’ll bet it’s a lot easier to navigate. Where in Italy are you? I look forward to your food updates!

The other post was about 2 days ago, and I just mentioned the broccoli pasta in passing (it was mainly about soprressata/testa in cassetta). I’m mainly in northern Italy but I get to spend a lot of time in central Italy as well, and other parts of Europe, and I want to try to see as much of Italy as I can while I am here (which looks to be another 2 years at least).

Some other Italian pasta types I think are universally recognized – or at least well known in the states – are fettucine, linguine, rigatoni and lasagne – although a lot of Americans confuse the last with a whole dish rather than just the name of a pasta-type. I am always changing my mind about which pasta is my favorite, and I haven’t tried them all! (Will do if I can.)