What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

Yeap, I increased the temperature to 250ºC the last minutes. The off side is, it was a bit too cooked for my taste. For somebody who likes it rosy would be perfect.

Envy you got some snow. Too warm for a march here, the peach tree is already flourishing.

1 Like

Your steak looks pretty good all things considered. My wife would think it was too rare. Different stroked …

1 Like

i think you send the email to the wrong person.
Who is buster?

duck looks fantastic. wish I have your energy!
I gave up cooking duck years ago as there was a lot of preparation both for the peking duck and cantonese roast duck, our favorite.
I had to wash, dry with a fan, and to make the skin crispy, insert a tube between the skin and the meat , blow air into it!
That is 2 days of work .
I used a table top Asian inspired Turbo oven to cook my Peking duck.
Now, when I crave for duck, I just buy maple duck legs from Costco , roast it for about 45 min in 400 degree oven till skin is crispy or D’Artgnan’s duck breast , seared to a crisp, using the fat
to fry potatoes in or cook D’Artagnan’s duck leg confit cassoulet with white beans and sausages.

That is a problem with whole duck. I like the breast rare/med-rare and the leg and thigh meat fully cooked, which is nearly impossible to accomplish when it’s left whole. I usually break it down and cook the breasts separately from the leg quarters so I can have them done differently.

2 Likes

@Salsailsa was responding to my post upthread about me losing my cat, Buster.

2 Likes

I think any tinned beans will do fine. Sausages were pork and caramelised onion - a farmers market purchase - but, again, I reckon any good sausage would work

1 Like

Can’t really see much but I can tell you what’s in it: leftover roe from the other day, tiny king trumpet mushrooms (Korean), tiny brown shrimps, and kimchi juice. I made 4 different types of kimchi which were eaten with this meal. We enjoyed it. House still smells. :yum:

2 Likes

Kielbasa and lentils with butternut squash and fennel, in an herby vinaigrette. My take on saucisson aux lentilles. Hearty food for a post-shoveling refuel!

5 Likes

Working from home during the Snowmageddon that wasn’t. Done.

Shoveling the 15" of snow in the driveway because the plow people disappeared and I wanted to avoid the concrete snow tomorrow morning. Done.

Aleve taken. Done.

Medium-rare bacon-swiss burger on two bottoms of the sandwich-sized English muffins with sweet potato fries made and eaten. Done.

Glass of wine drunk. Done.

Lemon Curd Mousse Pielets made and one eaten for Pi Day. Done.

Season finale of “This Is Us” (about to be) watched. (About to be) Done. And cried through.

10 Likes

i love lentils with a vinaigrette, they pair so well together. this looks marvy.

2 Likes

More of that Jewish-style sweet-and-sour brisket, finally cooked enough to be melt-in-your mouth shreddable and delicious over the BF’s polenta (at my request). His green salad was really nice, too, as he couldn’t find the sherry vinegar so he used fino sherry and apple cider vinegar instead.

6 Likes

So sorry, El - nothing to say that can make that hurt less.

2 Likes

Totally agree Maria. I often make a brown lentil salad. Fine diced onion, celery and multicolor sweet peppers, herbs du jour with an acid of choice makes an addicting versatile salad.

1 Like

Only Time can dilute some of the pain, courage @LindaWhit

3 Likes

Master of illusions, if you haven’t explained, i couldn’t have guessed correctly.

Last night dinner was a couple SV chicken thighs toasted up in the oven with left over roasted potatoes and salad

5 Likes

My TV meal last night was a green salad with radishes and cured ham, some leftover roasted roots vegetables and an already smoked quail bought from the farmers market. Very smoky and amazing taste. For a tiny bird, I was surprised that it had so much fat on its back.

5 Likes

that reminds me of my favorite! lentils, sliced avocado, arugula, hard boiled eggs in eighths, tossed lightly in a very lemony minced shallot/dijon vinaigrette. something about the combo of the creamy avo and the nutty lentils… will have to make this again this summer!

2 Likes

Sounds delicious! DH isn’t a fan of avocado or HBE, so I shall have to try this when he’s not around.

1 Like