What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

Sob sistah!

So, last night was a whole pastured chicken breast soaked in buttermilk, then crusted with superfine almond flour with a bit of GF panko, fresh thyme, cayenne, s and fgbp mixed in and roasted at 400 f, Sides were pan sear brussels halves and sketti squash gratin oozing with gruyere inside and out. As per usual, the best bits were the chewy brown cheesy stuff clinging to the edge of the pan.

Tonight meatloaf, rutabaga puree, peas and carrots to send of the last of winter (we HOPE) with a homey goodbye. Meatloaf also bound with fine almond flour, eggs, lots of fresh garlic, onion, worcestershire and coated with good ketchup from Sir Kensington, increasingly my kind of man.

2 Likes

Last night was a big bowl of miso soup with stuff after i trudged home from work in the mess from snowmageddon- just a few of us there since deadlines donā€™t move, regardless of the weather.
My miso had lots of tofu, some shredded carrot, scallions and a few more veggies.
Freaking cold day again today, home lateā€¦
i sipped a hot mug of miso broth while putting together dinner. Trader joeā€™s japanese fried rice with some smoked tofu, and added in a lot of fresh spinach at the end to become wilty. More miso broth.
I leave sunday on a work trip for a week and am trying to eat up the random produce i have left.

1 Like

St Pattyā€™s day: Iā€™ve been off work sick this week, so a little more time to prep dinner.

Irish beer cheese soup and cottage pie with colcannon topping rather than regular mashed.

3 Likes

Since I donā€™t do the wearing of the green or the drinking of the green, I went with a sort-of partial Irish (food) on tonight - Iā€™ll do the main event tomorrow.

King salmon (Irish salmon is damn good! Although this wasnā€™t Irish salmon - it was Canadian) with a glaze comprised of balsamic, honey, whole grain mustard, minced garlic, white wine, and salt/pepper.

The sides werenā€™t Irish, but worked for me.
Oh - and there was non-Irish wine as the final side dish.
And non-Irish Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato for dessert.

10 Likes

Got got home late so dinner had to be simple and quick cooking

Sea scallops on pasta with a side salad. The pasta was cooked in a shallow large fry pan with slivered garlic in the water, drained and tossed with a butter, cream. garlic and lemon juice reduction. The scallops were cooked in butter and garlic. Salad dressing was lemon juice, garlic, olive and neutral oil, mustard and a dash of sugar, s/p.

6 Likes

Finally Friday and a chance to make dinner at home.

Deviled eggs and whiskey sours to start.

Dinner was bison burgers with smoked cheddar and lettuce and frito misto (artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini). Ah, Friday night!

11 Likes

Scubadoo, you and your scallop posts kill me! Love them and they cost a fortune where am.

1 Like

I think they are expansive everywhere. Here the price from a Parisian market the fresh scallops from Brittany without shells can reach over 55ā‚¬/kg, approximately 27 USD/lb. How about the price in your area?

They are expensive everywhere. I just bought a bag of dry size 10-15s for $15 per pound, which is a very good price in my area. I often see them for $20-25 per pound or more.

1 Like

To start - something of a fridge raid. Thereā€™s leftover cod, veg & spuds thatā€™ll make a couple of fishcakes. Thereā€™s stuffed vine leaves and thereā€™s celeriac remoulade. Ecletic, eh?

To follow - roast shoulder of mutton. Mashed carrot & swede; purple sprouting brocolli, onion sauce

To continue - Pikeā€™s Delight. A cheddar made about 45 minutes drive away in Yorkshire, using organic cows milk

To finish - damson ice cream.

4 Likes

A fridge raid is what I end up doing often. Turn random ingredients into something good

1 Like

Scallop:

• Big ones, from the fishmonger, already cleaned: eur.40/kg
  • Big ones, from the fishmonger, uncleaned: eur.10/kg (about 5)

I prefer to pick the scallops with roe intact and clean them myself.

Nice meals, everyone. :yum:

Iā€™ve been busy and not eating anything new to report.

Off topic, for those of us who adore cats or have pets: a cat is not just a cat. It brings happiness not only to the owners but also others. Owners found this note attached to their other cat after one has died.

10 Likes

Not a lot of cooking going on at casa lingua lately, thus my relative silence here. Between working and ā€œworkingā€, Iā€™ve just not felt like elaborate (or even not so elaborate) dinners.

My man put together some boeuf bourguignon courtesy of a Guardian recipe recently, which was quite a bit of work and an even bigger letdown. Seemed better the next day, but still not something to be made again, for sure.

Couple nights ago we had cheeborgers and salad, last night I worked late & so we just heated up some TJā€™s flatbread. With WAY too much hot sauce.

Have yet another gig tonight, so had a very late lunch post-shift of butter & lemon-braised Belgian endive with lots of black pepper. Hopefully will appease my stomach a bit after yesterdayā€™s abuse.

5 Likes

I have to totally agree with you! Especially with stuff bought with impulse, no idea what to do with themā€¦

WFD, just something simple, a pasta with parmesan and chorizo sprinkled with arugula, accompanied with a Pelforth blonde.

Wasnā€™t feeling well yesterday, so my St. Patrickā€™s celebration meal of cottage pie got pushed off to today. Worth the wait! Ground beef, onions and mushrooms in a Guinness-based broth, topped with pureed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Just as good on the 18th!

3 Likes

Had my roast leg of lamb slathered with minced garlic, minced rosemary and thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil. Roasted to medium rare. I know it doesnā€™t look like it, but it was medium-rare. Thatā€™s the butt end slice on top. :slight_smile:

Also roasted some Yukon Gold potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and ground sumac, and cooked up some carrots. And yes, Iā€™m one of those that has mint jelly alongside the lamb I cook at home. :stuck_out_tongue:

There was wine. And some not-so-great green grapes for dessert.

7 Likes

Last night i stopped at the market near my apartment for some hard cider (the wine shop is further away and it was just too cold out) and i was distracted by some good looking asparagus. Very random meal of basically all the asaparagus steamed with a little salt and chopped walnuts on top, cider a la carte. Gave myself a tummy ache.

After working a few hours, cleaning, laundry and packing i wanted a real meal yet my fridge is pathetic so i ordered in a vegetarian papaya salad, tofu summer rolls and a small tofu tom yum soup. Leftovers will be breakfast.
Iā€™m hoping to find great tofu and dumplings next week while iā€™m in asia for work

6 Likes

Sure, you will. Unless you are going to a no tofu-dumplings country! Bon voyage!!

1 Like

Here we can only get frozen ones, roughly $22/lb for decent sized ones.

Dinner tonight was pulled pork pressed panini with onions, gouda, and a salad on the sideā€¦

4 Likes