What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Nothing but awesome .

1 Like

Oh Maria , Wonderful food . Chin Chin .

1 Like

Fried chicken breast sandwich topped with celery carrot pickled jalapeño slaw. What a long week. Happy weekend!

8 Likes

Not dinner, but I just finished a brunch that will definitely be my only meal of the day! We hosted five of my friends from college for a boozy brunch this morning - there were only six of us drinking (the seventh overdid it last night and therefore abstained, LOL) and we managed to polish off 6 bottles of sparkling wine in the form of mimosas. Wheeeeeeee!

Anyway, I served an Italian-ish themed meal because a couple of friends requested pizza bianca as a main course. So, we had pizza bianca, frittata with sausage, sage, apple and thyme, assorted salumi and chicken liver pate with crackers, a fennel/arugula/avocado/grapefruit salad, and cinnamon rolls (an insanely good Saveur recipe with cream cheese-laminated brioche dough). All very well received! I need a nap and a nice long walk, in that order!

8 Likes

Love this, @mariacarmen!

No usual brill today so I got lemon sole for a change. Much prefer this over more expensive turbot! Actually, the turbot was right next to these but I scoffed at it. Not as buttery and sweet as brill but taste-price ratio is good (unlike turbot). It’s been years since I ate lemon sole now I know I will be eating it more often.

Could barely fit the oven tray*. Just brushed with grated turmeric in OO, salt and pepper. The edges got crispy and delicious under the grill. They all had roe, as selected by yours truly.

(* my kitchen appliances are 2/3 the size of the normal kind. Not sure if it’s normal elsewhere but here it is as the houses are small, kitchens are small, fridges and cupboards too, cars are small, gardens are small, everything is small or smaller than in most developed countries. Finding replacements can be expensive or not possible. So now you know, I live in food hell and under a rock.)

6 Likes

I’m a fan of all sorts, usually i buy the little red potatoes and make hot crash potatoes, but i’m very pleased to be making baked potatoes quickly lately.
Spotted this truck on the upper west side today, “cartoshka” with interesting baked potato toppings like russian salad and grilled mushrooms. I had just eaten and wasn’t about to spend $7 on a baked potato anyhow

3 Likes

That sounds like the most fantastic brunch and all around saturday plan. What a wonderful spread you made! Absolutely nap worthy.

1 Like

I made sawce. Lots and lots and lots of sawce! Meaty sauce with ground beef, ground pork sausage, chopped mushrooms, onions and red bell pepper, minced garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, bay leaves, salt, pepper, Aleppo pepper, a healthy pinch of sugar, a large jar of Rao’s marinara and a carton of Cento chopped tomatoes.

And I read.

And I watched TV - a new Amazon Prime series called “The Collection”.

Then I made baked ziti. And some crusty rolls. And a salad. And poured some wine.

And then I ate and drank. And it was very good.

And there will be some Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato for afters. And more TV.

It was a good day.

9 Likes

Now that the kitchen is almost back together . Want to kick back drink a bottle of wine . Picked up a nice duck breast and leg . Some salt and onto the ci skillet the duck goes low flame . I am going to slice some white potatoes and par boil for a minute or two . Then dry off and into the same pan . The rendered duck fat will cook the potatoes . Duck , potatoes , and wine for dinner . Simply good . No veggie night :wine_glass: Cheers

3 Likes

Slathered a little chicken from the FM in a lemon herb butter and roasted. Tossed some carrots, fennel, and brussels into the roasting pan. Sides were salad and a glass of Pinot.

These two love chicken.

10 Likes

I bet they do . Aussie shepards .:dog2: I lived with a black tri and blue merle .

1 Like

My dinner idea was basically just soup that i could dip my new loaf of olive bread into. The grocery store had cauliflower on sale so the decision was practically made for me. Creamy cauliflower soup that i blended in some soaked cashews and white beans which make it nice and creamy. Veg broth, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Easy.
The olive bread was the star of the show and i managed to have just two slices. (And i may have had a slice earlier as

a snack to verify the quality…)

3 Likes

I like the star of the show . It might not always be the main ingrediant . As you read from me . I posted it was the potato who stold the show . . I always love the under dog .

2 Likes

Menu is rather strange.

I like that approach. When I can score really good bread, it’s going to play a leading role. The cauliflower soup with cashews and beans sounds especially tasty

1 Like

Breads bakery is one of my favorites.

1 Like

HST … I liked their bread so much I took a picture of it so I wouldn’t forget the name
Naturally I forgot where I purchased it … where do you buy it … TIA?

We get it at their place near Union Square. It’s near a friend’s house and she introduced me to it. Their cheese sticks are heavenly, even when they’re a day old and cold. We really liked their babka, too.

That sawce, tho. Looks spectacular, Linda!

1 Like

I wonder if I picked it up at a farmers market or while upstate. It was either brioche or country white
and it was sliced … I just remember it being exceptionally good …Thanks
Fingers crossed I picked it up at Best Market