What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Yes, fingers crossed! I’d love to find some of those things locally.

It really was an odd assortment- no grated cheese or sour cream yet they offered green olives and spicy mayo…? There’s actually a different baked potato cart that parks near my office and has been there for years, they’re like $5 and huge. He has a great version with broccoli and also offers vegetarian chili, sautéed mushrooms, a few kinds of cheese… I’ve certainly visited him a number of times

I like to have cauliflower soup when i’m going to top it with strong flavored toppings or a bunch of fresh herbs since the flavor of the cauliflower soup itself is more of a neutral supporting role. Two servings went in the freezer and i’ll take one with some olive bread for lunching tomorrow

1 Like

There’s also a location on the uws near lincoln center which isn’t quite as busy as the union square one. The super dense and nubby “north sea rye” is my most favorite, although they also run out of it rather quickly (none available yesterday). The cereal bread and challah are also wonderful

1 Like

Lemon-mushroom sauced chicken thighs, pan-seared and then baked with the sauce. Basmati rice in chicken stock, and steamed green beans.

There was wine. And some snow, and more expected overnight. Let’s see what happens for work tomorrow.

I’m thinking there will be more Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato tonight. Debating watching the rest of the Grammys.

5 Likes

Fajita night around these parts. I grilled chicken thighs and flank steaks, blackened some onions and peppers, and set out chopped olives, lettuce, arugula, pickled and fresh jalapenos, shredded cabbage, crema, cheese, “fajita sauce” (a blend of chile powder and spices, toasted in a little oil and then cooked with a bit of water to rehydrate) and cilantro for DIY fajita salads. Delicious and SPICY. The fresh jalapeno I used just happened to be a hot one and I added a LOT of it to my plate.

4 Likes

Homemade fettuccini two ways. The first was a quick no cook sauce of fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, capers, garlic, evoo, and red pepper flakes. The second was butter, and some black truffle in evoo that my folks brought from a farm in Italy.
Salad was arugula, fennel, and walnuts.

10 Likes

I love baked potatoes- broccoli and cheese on top; chili; sautéed mushrooms- YES!

Pickles? I love olives but not sure if I’d like them on my hot baked potato? What ethnic origin is it? Just trying to wrap my head around the topping selection?

The cheeses and dumplings yesterday made me full so I thought a lighter dinner would be better. Fatty salmon and seaweed with rice, that’s all. I removed the skin and put it under the grill for a bit. Darker salmon was marinated in tamari, sesame oil and Sichuan peppercorn oil.

Plus a dozen oysters alongside.

Today I made beetroot dumplings for the first time. One beetroot was diced and cooked til tender. Let cool completely then pureed finely. I then mixed it in the batter with some liquid used to cook the beetroot. The colour of the dumplings is spectacular, much better than in this photo. I had to resort to using the camera’s flash which changed the colour a bit. Anyway, meat was braised beef shin in dark beer from last week which was thawed and warmed up in the oven on low heat whilst the dumplings were being made.

White stuff on top of the dumpling is grated horseradish.

10 Likes

Gorgeous, P!

3 Likes

I think the cart was vaguely eastern european…? Kind of a mixed up menu they offered considering right below they have grilled cheese.
I’ll have to visit the good baked potato truck by work again before winter is over

1 Like

Yesterday was an icy slushy mess here with “freezing rain” and my fun experience with a blown fuse, several trips to the local hardware store and chirping co2 alarm that wouldn’t shut up even after the new battery. (Finally sorted that out)
Dinner making started with wine in hand.
Another version of the food52 one pot kale and quinoa pilaf that i love. Only i used chard, and a ton of it, used veg broth for the quinoa, olive oil, the lemon zest, added in some cubed smoked tofu and sliced almonds.
Turns out as a hot comforting mess of fragrant greens and quinoa- not fancy but i was craving greens and it’s always easy and tasty.
I was planning to make a tempeh dish tonight but this turned into a very long stressful day so i went with wine for the appetizer and dinner was the same as last night.

4 Likes

I did a variety of cooking over the weekend-

Made the Zahav hummus, which is fantastic!

I made a Sopa de lima recipe from Serious Eats, which I’m a bit mixed about. The recipe called for lime and grapefruit peel, plus 2 TBSP of each juice. There was also a variety of spices making up the broth, which I found a bit strange- cinnamon stick for one. I don’t think I’d make the recipe again as it wasn’t like any Sopa de Lima I’ve tasted in the Yucatan. I found the broth too bitter, probably due to the grapefruit and the notes of cinnamon were off putting.

I also made southern style green beans- cooked to death but sooo delicious!

5 Likes

You mean you homemade the pasta?

@Presunto Love that dumpling!
For the salmon, I sometimes marinated them in light soy sauce + spring onions + lemon juice or rice vinegar + a tiny bit of sesame oil, well classic. I like your version, will try when I get hold of tamari.

@LindaWhit
Long time I didn’t eat baked ziti, yours looked good! H didn’t like baked pasta, only normal pasta, I guess I can make it at lunch when he wasn’t around.

Love that one, I bet it was good!

3 Likes

thanks Scuba! that fish taco was one of the best i’ve made, for sure.

Days of meals, here they are:

Pan fried steak with carrots and Orzo cooked like a risotto with cream and feta. Carrot was cooked based on a loose recipe from Alain Passard: cut the carrots length ways, 4-6 slices with each carrot, had them laid flat without overlapping in a big pan, filled the pan with water just enough to cover the carrots, add few knots of butter and some curry powder and put a sheet of parchment paper on the pan, cooked until all liquid evaporated with medium heat. So simple and very good if you had the sweetness of carrots.

Still some tricandilles left, bought in December from my last trip from Bordeaux. This time cooked with king oyster mushrooms with garlic and wine. We ate a rice noodles in a miso broth topped with omelette. The texture of the mushrooms were quite meaty feeling. The meal was good.

Last night, a pork roast cooked with Japanese white wine and rosemary in oven with high heat, then lowered the temperature and applied a syrup with lemon juice and Grand Marnier, a cognac brandy with orange liqueur.
Sided with pan cooked Jerusalem artichokes (Jamie Oliver’s recipe). Another comfy meal.

7 Likes

swoon-worthy… especially the truffled one!

it all looks delicious, NAF! love the caramelized lemons on the pork.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was inspired by a recipe by Bookwich with all the peels.

4 Likes

thanks, presunto!

is lemon sole a thing? i mean, is it lemony all on its own already, right out of the sea?? it looks wonderful…

2 Likes