What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

It wasn’t the tomahawk steak or the beets . It was that big fluffy baked potato that was the star of the show . With chives and butter , topped with flaked salt . Forgot how good they can be . Welcome back .

6 Likes

The show went really well - we even had some local big name stop in for a few songs, and he really liked what he heard :slight_smile:

I did end up getting the ghost pepper wings and managed to finish 4 of them. Took the rest home but then was too tired to eat… might make a late lunch appearance today after my shift.

We got a bunch of snow last night, so work should be busy. And b/c nothing says summer on a plate like Greek chicken, that’s WFD tonight. And more Belgian endive salad. Natch.

5 Likes

He landed late yesterday afternoon. But sure enough, when he got to our office this morning, he had already been informed by his airline that his flight out this afternoon was cancelled. So it’s a good thing he got a hotel room for tonight as well. LOL

2 Likes

Never know this one but I like the name already!

My cat sometimes leaves his toys in his bowl, not very often. I guess it is their way to “hide” the stuff they like in a place they love.

@Presunto Roe again?! You must really like them. Actually are they cooked “well done” or kind of rose in the middle?

Cold Attack episode II, strange this year it’s really stubborn to get rid of that. So another 3 days of wobble head.

Fridge guy came Monday, seemed to fix the leaking freezer problem… But the fridge auto switched off problem still remains. (Actually, I suspected it was provoked by repair guy nº1, I had never this problem before his intervention) Gosh, I guess need to call them again, need to stop using the fridge again. Now I wonder if I will ever see the fridge in the healthy state again. Let’s hope!

Dinner :fork_and_knife: !!
Clean fridge operation dinner. Just.cook.everything.in.a.big.pan! Duck breast, roasted potatoes with mint and some left over eggplant.

Tonight, stirred fried chicken with yakitori sauce + ginger + lemon + lemon juice on rice

Finished with French toast. Soaked milk in honey, home made vanilla sugar, orange blossom water, egg and fried with salty butter. Fulfilling!

10 Likes

Nah … This is not how we treat the things we love

Dinner tonight
Breville, Spatchcock chicken / smashed and stuffing more veggie than bread, the sides

7 Likes

Left over uncooked amberjack from the other day made a dandy fish sandwich for the two of us.

A few spuds used for oven fries and a mini multicolored tomatoes for a topping using up a carton from Costco. It’s clean out the fridge day.

Its ts one of those dinners that I would be fortunate to get eating out but was so simple made at home.

7 Likes

Meat loaf was on the menu for tonight, even before the Snowmageddon. But getting home safely after leaving just after noon made lounging around the house this afternoon watching TV (since my remote access to my work computer wasn’t working) a perfect comfort meal day.

Roasted garlic and ground sumac were added to a combo of ground beef, pork, and veal, along with an egg, salt, pepper, Panko crumbs. I schmeared roasted garlic on top of the loaf and sprinkled some more ground sumac.

I used the ends of for tonight’s meatloaf - I’m a ketchup type person vs. a gravy one, as that’s extra work - so dots of ketchup, it was. Alongside was some steamed and mashed dirty potatoes with butter, sour cream and salt and pepper, and then some peas.

There was definitely wine. I might even have a small bowl of Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch gelato while watching this week’s “This Is Us” episode.

8 Likes

The entire meal looks wonderful, Scuba!

I started a kitchen makeover . Painting , and cleaning out the pantry and cabinets . So it’s just a can of chili , been craving grilled cheese sandwich with Fontina . Leftover roasted beets drizzled with oo and balsamic . And wine . Cheers

4 Likes

Well a good half of my office was out today due to snow and transportation issues, but it was also kinda nice because we were able to get a lot accomplished. Got home a bit late and chilled to the bone thanks to a lot of walking through icy winds.
I went with the microwave and baking method for another smallish sweet potato tonight which i put in a bowl and topped with some of my creamy heirloom beans in coconut milk from the other day. Chopped scallions on top, and a very hot mug of miso broth.

2 Likes

I had a russet last night . It was the star of the show . I really forgot how good they are . Potatoes , sweet , russet , red , white , and the other thousand varieties . I love em all .

5 Likes

we need a “swoon” button…

1 Like

You are too kind Maria. Such a simple dish. But it was one I didn’t f/u too much. The fish could have use another minute. The broccoli was spot on not over cooked and the slaw was just fresh cut. It always boils down to the little things

1 Like

a few things we’ve been eating…

reverse seared ribeye, with petite carrots in a brown sugar, cara cara, thyme glaze, and a celeriac/potato mash.

Baby back ribs, made in the Instant Pot (1 hour!) with a rub, and then into the broiler with a homemade bbq sauce. cara cara orange/fennel/walnut salad, and a shallot/thyme/olive oil potato salad;

Halibut taco with Peruvian aji verde (green chili sauce) - i’m trying to eat more fish, so the BF is on his own those nights. I have to admit i’m really proud of not overcooking that halibut - it was super moist. and of course, that green sauce can make a tin can taste delicious. but the fish was good!

Lucky Peach’s paechu kimchi, before it went into jars. the paste was sooooo good!

I’ll spare you a pic of my chinese noodles with char siu pork meatballs i made because it wasn’t pretty, but throw in a pic of the char sui itself, made with pork shoulder steak. smacked cukes with some eggplant thrown in. pretty tasty stuff.

happy Friday!!

10 Likes

Not your average fish taco…

everything looks and I’m sure was fabulous

1 Like

Thought about Dali tonight.
Shit happened at work.
Coworker asked “wine next door?”
I said yes.
Way easier.
(But I need to factor in a visit to Dali very soon!)
One glass of wine turned into two.
(Of course!)
Left to go to bank for work deposit.
And the stupidmarket for me, since more snow is coming.
And CVS before it closed at 9 p.m.
And another stupidmarket next door because I forgot something at the first stupidmarket.
Phew. Made it before they closed.
And then the post office to drop off A/P checks for work.
Home.
Comfy clothes.
Quick meatloaf sandwich and some potato chips for dinner.
I’m in for the weekend.

6 Likes

Now , did you buy enough wine for the weekend , linda ? So you wont have to leave the house .

1 Like

Had to go downtown for an errand after work and decided i needed nish nush since i was close by. It’s freaking freezing today so i had a cup of their great red lentil soup while waiting for my order that i brought home- a falafel pita which has the israeli salad, tahini sauce, hummus and some pickled veggies along with an order of just the hummus (one of the best i have ever had) which i will snack on through the weekend. Back to making my own meals tomorrow

4 Likes

A Tampa stable. Black beans and rice. Grilled flank steak and the condiment ( not pictured ) with homemade pickled chipotle peppers, onions and carrots. The peppers are not a Tampa thing but something I grew up with, with a father who grew up in Mexico City

7 Likes

Last time I was at Wegmans a few weeks ago, I stocked up. Plus there were about 6-7 bottles received at Christmastime from coworkers. I’m still well stocked. :smiley:

2 Likes