What's for Dinner #18 - 02/2017 - the Hearts & Flowers Edition

Oh wow ! That roe .

1 Like

Seriously … what is she trying to tell me !!!

Mouse … it’s what’s for dinner

The humans ate
Chicken marsala
stuffed baked potato
asparagus
strange combo but I used what I had in the house

16 Likes

I didn’t even have a microwave for a good 12 years or so, and i really just use the one i have to reheat tea or defrost soup.
Well, i had a lightbulb moment yesterday when i remembered there’s a cheater version of baked potatoes where you nuke it and then finish in the oven!
So tonight i was very proud of my nuked and then baked sweet potato which i then overstuffed with chopped green onions, dairy free sour cream, cilantro, and smoked salt. Appetizer of a raw yellow bell pepper munched while waiting for my potato. Good stuff.

4 Likes

My kid’s dorm is on the parade route. He will have to go through it just to get some breakfast.

1 Like

My version of pan fried chicken . Leg and thighs quartered . All purpose flour in a bag with s&p . Salt and pepper chicken pieces about five minutes before cooking . Put in bag of flour and shake off excess . Into a pan with oo and butter . Skin side up for 15 min there bouts med low heat . Turn , another 15 , I like to baste it , turn and add fresh rosemary sprigs for 1 min and remove the sprigs to serving dish . The trick I learned for when it is getting done is the SOUND . When the frying sound dies down it’s getting near done . Add thinly sliced lemon with the chicken skin side up . A couple minutes and remove the chicken . Turn up the heat and add a little garlic a little white wine , reduce . Lay chicken on sauce . I remove the lemon slices . I just loved it tonight , served with my leftover beans and a bottle of Rose .

6 Likes

While I’ve never cooked one I suspect when a mouse is green it has gone off…:wink:

7 Likes

Lol … this mouse in the dish thing is not an isolated incident
she drowned a couple of white ones (also of the toy variety) in her water bowl
not too long ago … they are much more realistic looking … I freaked out at first glance
then I laughed …she is not getting live mice regardless of the amount of her complaining

5 Likes

I made something… minced lamb with onion, garlic, chopped preserved lemon, kebab spice mix, fennel, my own fresh turmeric (in OO). Stir-fried and mixed well with round rice noodles. Nothing exciting, just the few things I have in the fridge, really.

6 Likes

Sounds good … I love that combination of flavors

1 Like

I do this all the time. I nuke them until almost done and then finish in the oven or on the grill. So much faster than baking from raw.

2 Likes

Grilled tomahawk primed rib eye from Costco over oak wood . My buddy said he dry aged it . Cool . cooked rare , salted and sliced off the bone . It’s been a while since I have had a baked potato . Big Ol russet 425 for 50 min . Correct me if I’m wrong . It’s been that long . I think the star of the show might be the roasted beets , red and golden with some rosemary sprigs . sliced and drizzled with a nice balsamic . Carrots sauteed in butter . Grilled bread , Meat, roots , bread and wine . Cheers .

6 Likes

This is a busy week for me (3 gigs), so there hasn’t been and won’t be a lot of cooking.

Monday my man roasted another perfect sirloin roast, served with cheater béarnaise & creamed garlicky spinach. Yesterday we had a show, so I just had a quarter of a cheeseburger club.

Today is another show out of town at a brew pub that serves wings with a ghost pepper dry rub. Had them last time & they were the bomb. Might hafta wait until after the gig, tho. Spicy food doesn’t go so well with singing :smiley:

5 Likes

Last night was oven baked chicken nuggets, breaded with my usual low carb mixtures of pork rinds, ground almonds and parmesan cheese. The only pork rinds I had in the house were a spicy flavor, so the coating had a slight kick to it. Delicious! I served them with Buffalo roasted cauliflower, which had more than a slight kick to it. Tonight I have kebab meat thawing - I’ll just toss it with garlic and spices quickly and throw it on the grill pan. Sides TBD.

5 Likes

Had a good show, LinG! Enjoy the beer and spicy wings to your heart’s content later :triumph:

Her hunter instinct? No, that would be bringing you dead animals as presents. I think she means the toys are her favourite things and keeps them there.

I just had to look it up. Lo and behold it is more or less what I had speculated.

OK, to keep it food related: I had steamed mussels today.

5 Likes

Aldi’s had some enormous green bell peppers - 3 pack for under $1.50. Plus my freezer has a little room so stuffed peppers are bubbling away in a Dutch oven. We have had two warm days (shorts and sandal weather) so my house may heat up more than I like but gotta cook 'em when you got them!

4 Likes

A “new to our company” employee benefits mtg. scheduled several weeks ago for Thursday was moved from 10 a.m. to 9 a.m. to hopefully avoid the worst of the snowstorm that arrives early tomorrow morning. (Hopefully the meeting lasts no more than an hour.)

But I have to be there in the morning since it’s an in-person meeting. Because you know - HR Administrator. :::Sigh::: And because someone is flying in to present this meeting. Although I expect many employees will Webex into the meeting from home.

I didn’t feel like cooking but I was hungry. I found some Trader Giotto’s Porcini and Truffle Triangoli in the freezer and cooked them, making a “sauce” of butter, heavy cream, and grated Parm-Reg. Meh. Too salty. I ate half and tossed the rest.

I’ll cook tomorrow after the expected white-knuckle drive home, said Scarlett. For now, there’s Perugina chocolate.

3 Likes

Amberjack on the rareish side with a slaw and broccoli

6 Likes

Well whomever is flying in might have flight problems unless they landed already… those TJs triangoli are really tasty, sorry that didn’t work out well.
Wine for dessert? :wink:

I actually don’t remember ever having sloppy joes as a kid. My mom certainly never made them.
So the fact this recipe even appealed is beyond me, but i actually had everything on hand already- just stopped at the bodega on the corner for a “hard roll” (aka the typical nyc roll they use for egg sandwiches and such)
I omitted the chilis since i am a wimp, and it looked like a ton of tomato sauce so i used probably 10oz or so instead of the full 15oz. They never mentioned what to do with the tofu so i just broke it up into crumbles.
This was really good!! I liked the addition of the chopped walnuts and mushrooms. But certainly lives up to the sloppy name. Side of raw bell pepper was munched as my appetizer while cooking

6 Likes