What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Got a ddukbaegi pot recently, so I made some soondubu jjigae à la Maangchi (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sundubu-jjigae). There was some spillage unfortunately as I added a few too many vegetables.

8 Likes

Leftovers, tacos Al Pastor with fresh pineapple and Carne Asada with Guacamole:

5 Likes

Brussels sprouts roasted in chicken fat and then dressed with the concentrated, de-fatted juices. Heavenly. Also very nice flap steaks in an garlic herb vinaigrette with a touch of white vermouth added. DH picked them out at Costco and he has a very good eye for marbling, so they were exceptionally tender and flavorful!

4 Likes

Added Turkish red pepper paste to the razor clam and Hungarian sausage sauce from the other day. Eaten with linguine. We got back from the gym at 6:30 and that was dinner.

Gratuitous photos of our beautiful moon tonight. Light reading on the geology of the moon on Wiki if interested.

Well, I find the moon fascinating.

I can see moon craters from my house!

4 Likes

Great pics of the moon . That’s why I was awake last night . It was very bright .

1 Like

This guy too:

5 Likes

I’m going through a rediculous nut butter phase- peanut butter whisked into soups, almond butter in my yogurt, and dipping raw veggies into nut butters for snacks. Can’t. Get. Enough.
I make these tofu triangles in peanut butter sauce with alarming frequency lately, it’s a longtime favorite recipe. This was WFD tonight, i flopped the hot saucey 'fu over a bowl of fresh baby spinach which gets nice and wilty and catches any stray sauce. Enough leftover for another meal, probably lunch tomorrow.

3 Likes

Momofuku Ginger Scallion Sauce with some leftover ramen noodles. I love that stuff.

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/momofuku-ginger-scallion-noodles/

8 Likes

Chicken sauteed with onion , red bell pepper , wine , mushrooms . Fresh spinach with a little garlic and nutmeg .

2 Likes

It was stormy and raining all day, so I made chicken and spaetzle with paprika sauce and a drizzle of homemade creme fraiche (because I didn’t have any sour cream).

We also strawberries from the farmers market; if the farmers are there in the rain, then darn it, so am I.

8 Likes

Buckwheat “risotto”. Prawn heads and shells from the other day became a rich stock, and the seaweed comes with the oysters I often eat at weekends. I always have all sorts of grains in the cupboard. Partner asks if we are now officially vegetarians (we haven’t had a piece of meat in weeks).

Tastes so prawny and yet there’s no real prawns in it.

Plate

6 Likes

That sounds wonderful! I am going to remember this for next time I have lobster or shrimp shells.

Always keep the shells and carcass (especially duck). Some foods just keep on giving.

1 Like

This has NOT been a week in which I wanted to cook. And I didn’t, for the most part.

Tonight was really no different, but I decided Friday night…make an effort. Stopped at the local butcher, and picked up some thick boneless center cut pork chops. One became dinner. Plus it helped me remove yet another little cup of “stuff” in my upstairs freezer.

Liberally sprinkled with Penzeys Tsardust seasoning, pan-seared, then into the oven with some (defrosted) Spicy Mango-Plum Sauce on top to bake until done. Leftover basmati rice, and sauteed baby spinach with garlic, Aleppo pepper, and toasted pine nuts.

Oh hellz yeah, there was wine. And quite probably a Cuarenta y Tres for dessert. And maybe some gelato. Or chocolate. Or all three.

Licor 43 and Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch Gelato…

…and Buster DEMANDING his ice cream bowl!

10 Likes

Picked up a giant bone in rib eye from Costco . I’ll pretend to be Dario Checchini when cooking it . Sliced off the bone . I’ll eat off that for days . Cannellini beans with some whole black peppercorns added along with fresh bay . Sauteed zucchini rounds . And a bottle of wine . Happy Friday the 13th . Cheers .

4 Likes

A great big burger with grilled mushrooms and a port wine laced cheese from Aldi with a side of corn relish

8 Likes

Remaining dignified in the face of paparazzi!

Scubadoo, the mushrooms on top look like a mushrom ball. It’s a cool mushroom ball!

No usual brill today but seared Faroe Islands salmon with a dark sauce was delicious for a change nonetheless. Quickly stir-fried sugarsnap peas and a salad (tomatoes, parsley, capers, radished and radish leaves) alongside. Plus some somen noodles for the parner. Notice there’s no unsightly oozing white gunk? Not much water in the fish left, which reduces white gunk/protein.

I write what’s in the sauce for my own reference.

8 Likes

Haircut.
Errands.
Home.
Nap.
Litter.
Laundry.
Reading.
Pizza.
Wine.
Dinner.

A sausage and spinach pizza with a garlic-herb Rosa sauce (garlic-herb cheese mixed with some tomato sauce and dried herbs). Topped with grated mozz and Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of Honey-Aleppo pepper for a bit of bite. All-in-one-dinner.

The Pats-Texans game on the flat screen - GO PATS!

11 Likes

Dinner was weird but good array of flavours:

BOSO chicken breasts baked on a bed of rosemary, sage and onion . Lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and garlic rubbed on top.

Korean potatoes- peeled, diced, fried and the braised in a soy/garlic/ sugar type reduction. I really wanted to try the recipe. Obviously not meant to pair with the chicken but the flavours didn’t clash.

Fresh green beans- no idea where the store got these as I live on the prairies and it’s the dead of winter. No “product of” sign. Regardless, tasted great! Steamed al dente, tossed with some juices from the chicken, salt and fresh ground pepper. I really wanted to do some sort of anchovy type sauce but knew that would totally be too weird with the weird mix I already had going.

All tasted great. Juicy chicken!

9 Likes

That’s a lot of mushroom for a burger, is it kind of it is masked with sauce or casted inside a jelly? Must be good!

Not bad for a winter day! I hope you have more sun than here. It’s gloomy since 2 weeks, it announced snow, but only rain. Cat sleeps 23/24. Looks good your pizza.