What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Breakfast - a bagel and a schmear.
TV - Top Chef’s Thursday episode.
Shoveling the driveway of the remaining snow.
Laundry.
Cooking - Chicken-Corn Chowder made for Mom and Sis/BIL freezer meals.
TV - a couple more episodes of Man In The High Castle, Season 2.
Cooking - Dinner was some ziti with meat sauce taken from the downstairs freezer and baked with a grating of mozzarella, and a salad of romaine, grated carrots, chopped red bell pepper and green onion, sliced grapes, and croutons, with a lemon-Dijon-tarragon vinaigrette.
Wine.
TV - The Librarians and Madam Secretary.
Reading in bed.
Sleep - perchance to dream.
And back to the grind tomorrow.

8 Likes

I need to make this. The combination sounds really delicious and refreshing. What’s in the dressing?

Apple cider vinegar, dill (I use dried), s&p, walnut mustard, walnut oil, a little peanut oil, a little sour cream.

Thank you - this sounds delightful! I especially like the inclusion of dill - I really like dill but rarely think to use it when I’m cooking for some reason.

I’m doing a remake on last nights dinner . Except using cod for the protein . I am going to dust the fish with paprika and cook it ci skillet with oo , and sliced garlic cloves . When finished will make a simple pan sauce using vinegar cut with a little water . Pour over fillet . Salad , with the leftover bean puree and toasted bread for dipping .

2 Likes

Dinner was a quick tortellini en brodo, thrown together after a day of riding bikes around Venice. We foraged lots of lemons, and rosemary, lemon verbena and dandelion leaves. Also, someone let us take chilies from their porch plants. A really great Sunday. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I went over to my friend’s place to watch some of the red carpet with wine and at some point we realized we were freaking hungry. My friend is non-cook and the delivery options all said an hour on seamless. I was poking around and said i could make soup in less than a half hour.
I found canned coconut milk, veg stock, thai curry paste that looked ancient but useable, some green beans, chopped the baby carrots, a can of baby corn, extra firm tofu, and some soba noodles. Took less than a half hour and we had big soupy bowls while discussing the bizarre assortment of facial hair on celebrities.

11 Likes

“There’s nothing to eat…” Stand back. And let the master work. :hocho:

4 Likes

@Bookwich, just look at that horrible HORRIBLE weather!

Smelled marvelously smokey when I opened the lid. The Hungarian sausage gave the whole thing its taste and smell. Made both saucy on purpose to eat with rye sourdough.

Prawns for the partner (who doesn’t care for clams). I used a Malaysian spicy prawn soup paste. Prawns are huge red Argentinian ones. The sauce was super prawny. Leftover prawns heads and shells will be made into a soup broth.

8 Likes

Razor clams!! Huge prawns!!! Dammit, P… don’t make me come over there and eat allllll of it.

3 Likes

Pulled Pork in a Carolina mustard sauce with cole slaw, baked beans & corn bread:

4 Likes

In Scotland they call them “Spoots” !

Leftover beef stew with crusty bread with cheese and jalapeño

7 Likes

Tonight I did my version of low carb egg rolls in a bowl with ground pork and some leftover cold chicken. Also did a side of Asian roasted cauliflower.

3 Likes

I am going to keep whining about how motherloving COLD it is until i can feel my fingers again. Aka April.

Anyways, i needed some hot comfort food and example #2,304 of my theory that all cultures have a version of hot carbs as comfort food i decided i wanted the craveable rice and beans from the hole in the wall dominican place i love. I had to take a photo, with metrocard for scale. It’s a lot of food!
Amazing creamy beans and perfect slightly sticky yellow rice. I made a side of sautéed broccoli cuz i need my veggies. Lots leftover, might flop it into a tomato based quicky soup another night

5 Likes

Because Alabama doesn’t have good football food. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pork-belly fried rice, with lots of gochujang.

This is so greasy and fatty, but in a really nice, clean, melt in your mouth way. It reminds me of my mother’s goose fat rice.

7 Likes

Fried rice is always more delicious with some fat or oil! I always find them too dried without.

The repair guy needs to come again, last time I December, he changed 2 parts and apparently the same problem comes back again, a pool of ice at the bottom of the freezer. Need soon to defrost the fridge for 3 days for another appointment. Hope he could really find out the problem.

Dinners these days, Saturday was Thai food in a relative new joint, chicken Satay with crispy pork and beef. Sea bream and endive risotto for Sunday. Last night it was veal liver with onion confit and raspberry vinaigrette with a salad.

6 Likes

That looks SPECTACULAR.

Lingua, with your help we could have finished the entire kilo of razors. I can never do it by myself. Saved the rest and the sauce for tomorrow. Probably with pasta.

Naf, you remove the whole area of thin flesh around the cavity of the fish. I don’t eat that part and the head but the partner does. We have the same cutlery (mine is really really old) and Staub braiser.

Bookwich, many rice recipes call for some kind of fat. Make Portuguese duck rice someday.

Scoobadoo, am a fan of your leftovers!

This is my leftovers today. Only had time to make a couple of quick snaps. Leftover lamb mince with aubergines from the other day. Topped up with mashed potatoes. I also chucked in a few chunks of butter to moisten the mince. Coarsely grated Pecorino on the potatoes. Tiny Brussels sprouts fried in some Speck fat on the side.

Doesn’t look like much but we enjoyed it and leftovers are gone.

7 Likes