What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Very Mexican

3 Likes

Actually you kind of eat the radishes, green onions and cucumbers between tacos as a complement.

It’s delicious and really freshens things up.

4 Likes

Looks so good. The tortillas are mesmerising. I live in food hell where flour tortillas are the only kind available.

We eat a lot of radiechen in my house, greens and all.

1 Like

Chicken legs with thighs attached . Salted and dusted with potato flour . Cooked in skillet brick chicken style to get that crispy skin .Squeeze of lemon when finished . Salad of arugula and mixed greens , oo and red wine vinegar for dressing . Cannellini beans cooked with a little garlic . I will mix in a little bit of celery tops then puree . Grilled and sliced bread to dip into the puree . And yes . More wine . Cheers

6 Likes

That entire meal sounds VERY good, @emglow101!

2 Likes

I really love celery leaves as a seasoning. Unfortunately most of the celery in my area is sold severely trimmed. I’ve switched to buying Chinese celery for my leaf needs.

3 Likes

Closed the shop 1.5 hrs. early yesterday once I heard sleet was coming down in the next county. Took about 2 hours to get home since everyone else had the same plan. Once home I revisited my PC ribs. Took a foil wrapped packet directly from the freezer and baked at 325 for a little under an hour. Tender as can be so I guess the initial run needed more time. Defrosted the left over BBQ sauce which was quite good spooned on just before eating. Same sides as before.

The monster snow predicted just skirted my area so it’s just a few inches over lots of ice. Interstate (5 miles away) sounds open with occasional sounds of big rigs. Pretty quiet since most folks are staying of the roads. It’s nice to see the sun after it being away for 6 days.

Tonight will be old school tacos with refried beans, cheddar, sour cream, lettuce, tomato and quick pickled onion.

Stay warm and safe driving!

5 Likes

Unexpected snowstorm here - it’s supposed to taper off in a couple of hours, but we probably got a solid 5-6 inches. Anyway, I was planning to go grocery shopping earlier but didn’t want to go out in this, so I had to get creative with what little I had in the fridge. I put together a chipotle meatloaf using eggs, pork rinds, my last onion, some chopped roasted red peppers from a jar, garlic and a finely chopped head of romaine, all cooked down. This is my first time trying the lettuce trick (which I think I read about here, from @greygarious, maybe?), so hopefully it will taste okay! Seasonings were chopped chipotles, lots of adobo, cumin, chili powder, etc.

I also happened to have a four-pack of tofu and LOTS of cheese in the fridge, so I dug out a bag of frozen cauliflower and made tofu mac and cheese as a side dish. There are canned green beans if DH or stepdaughter want more vegetables (I despise them canned). And a lovely petit sirah to drink, because why not?

5 Likes

Sausage, kale & white bean soup made for freezer meals for Mom and a partial Xmas present for my sister and BIL (cabin meals after coming off the mountain after skiing).

Watching various TV shows in between prep and cooking.

Dinner was seared chicken thighs with a spicy maple-BBQ sauce, and rice & peas. Pinot Grigio alongside.

More TV for afters. Maybe some ice cream or Cuarenta y Tres as well.

9 Likes

I don’t make steak often but was in the mood. 28 day umami dry bag aged rib eye with roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic and tomatoes with basil

10 Likes

Last night was out with friends to one of my all time favorite spots for sangria and tapas. We had the crispy spiced garbanzos, their fantastic pan con tomate, spanish tortilla, the shishitso peppers, escalivada with romesco, and my friends had the gambas al ajillo and a special that included rabbit and artichokes. And more sangria. All delicious with great company.

These weather channel app people LIE and the snow was really serious today! Yikes. I ventured out into the wind and sideways snow (“feels like 11”) and picked up some reisling and the rest of what i needed for dal.
I am a total amateur when it comes to cooking indian anything so i was slightly surprised and very happy the dal turned out well. Some naan to scoop it up and a side of sliced raw red bell pepper and some cucumber. Tasty and warmed me up!

6 Likes

If it was I, that should have been cabbage…

you know, the pope’s nose? i read that it’s not really the tail, but a gland attached to the tail. it’s very fatty. it has meat too, but mostly fatty goodness.

3 Likes

That’s what my Dad called it. :grinning:

1 Like

I do recall you mentioning cabbage or coleslaw, but I could have sworn you suggested lettuce as well. Must have been someone else. Regardless, it was a success! The romaine cooked down to invisibility and tasted like nothing, but added moisture just as cabbage does. Good way to use up some less-than-perfect lettuce.

1 Like

I’m on a roll. Lamb mince, with chopped leftover aubergine bits, onions, garlic, passata (tomato sauce). Seasoning was kebap spice mix. Finished in the oven.

Ate it with soft Iraqui flatbread and a lot more cheese (Pecorino). With pasta or rice is most popular, however. 1 roll too short.

9 Likes

Wow, just wow!

Thanks, Scubadoo. There’s half of the cooked mince left. I see Moussaka on the horizon.

I want to run off with that plate :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Poker game last night, so dinner was takeout crispy spicy chicken from a place nearby. Really crispy, really spicy. I lost, unfortunately, but at least the other resident @casa lingua won a whopping $40, saving our honor '-P

I’ve had london broil on my brains for a while now - something my man used to make all the time when I first moved to the States, so that’s WFD tonight. Just s&p and broiled to rare.

I have an evening shift tonight – not looking forward to driving & running around in this polar vortex, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

When I come home, I’ll fix us my favorite winter salad again: Belgian endive, tangerines, blue cheese and toasted walnuts in a creamy dressing.

I honestly wish it was already 8 PM. >Le Sigh<

6 Likes