What's for Dinner #15 - 11/2016 - the Back-to-Standard-Time Edition

Is anyone in touch with Gio? She hasn’t posted in months. I’ve missed her voice and am concerned. Reached out to a CH friend who has an email relationship with Gio. She hasn’t had a response back to her email which is out of the ordinary for Gio. We are hoping someone has info…

This online “knowing” is odd. While you respect peoples private lives there is concern when a persons posting habits change drastically. Hopefully she is doing well and simply distracted by other aspects of life.

4 Likes

Meal looks fantastic.

Send it to me too, when you get it! Thx.

Arrrgh, we have a Siemens fridge… bought in 2010, not so old?!! Started to have problem 1.5 years ago. Not sure the German appliances still have such a good reputation… My dish washer from the same brand starts to have errors from time to time. Or maybe I’m out of luck.

@meatn3, as posted in a Facebook group by someone in touch with her via Email (posted back on Nov. 20th), “she hurt her back and is working on getting better”.

I’m hoping she gets better very soon - and that she had a good Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Thank you Linda. I’ve let the CH friend know. Puts my mind at ease and hope she returns to our little world soon.!

2 Likes

Looks awesome, Ttrockwood!!

1 Like

Ok, i got the details from my friend for the beet salad- she said her grandmother and mother made it regularly as a side dish or appetizer.
-6 good sized beets, best to roast them whole but steaming whole works too. Let them cool, then peel and grate them on a large-ish size grater (or food pro or mandoline)

• toast 1/2c or so of walnuts and then chop very fine
    -3 large cloves of garlic pressed or minced superfine
  • “a whole crapton of coarse fresh ground black pepper”
  • maybe 3TB or so mayonnaise, mom and grandmother used homemade but i like either helleman’s or kewpie
  • a good pinch of salt

Mixy mix mix together and taste it, add more salt or pepper or mayo, whatever, sometimes I like to add in horseradish. Don’t mess with the nuts, i tried it with pecans or cashews before and that’s not good, you only use the walnuts.

This is actually going to be my dinner tonight!! :hugs: The beets have been chilling in the fridge and i am going to pile it onto some thin toasted dark pumpernickel with some arugala for open face sammiches

4 Likes

French dips with the leftover ribeye roast… Awesome. I had put the ribs from the roast and the contents of the beef bone bag in the freezer into the crockpot after dinner on Thursday and let it cook for almost 2 days before reducing it to make the richest most delicious jus… Yum! Sweet potato cubes and collard greens for sides.

Hoping I wont be up all night with heartburn from eating bread but if I am it was worth it.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot! Need a good mayonnaise since there is no vinegar.

A question on the grenadine celery salad, I saw aneth, radish, spring onions, sun flower seeds(?) What was the black vegetable? Dried prune, fig ? What was the dressing of the salad? Many thanks.

1 Like

Nice stuff, everyone.

Mine was simple. Grilled small octopus, a salad and boiled potatoes alongside. Almost just like octopus you eat in Portugal, but it’s cooked on the BBQ there.

Octopus is always half the size when cooked. This is the only reason why octopus dishes sold in restaurants are expensive. Riesling for me and red wine for the partner.

3 Likes

The leftovers are gone and the festival of carbohydrates is OVER. My tummy is so bloated! We’re going with solid protein and vegetables today. I’m going to grill a flank steak to go with this: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-red-peppers-and-cherry-tomatoes-with-ricotta I’ll probably roast the tomatoes along with the peppers, since I’m not such a fan of raw tomatoes. I also don’t have any basil in the house and I’m too lazy to go get any, so I’ll be using mint and parsley instead.

2 Likes

As regards appliances these days you really need to check carefully where things are made. Even though it has a German trademark it could be made in Turkey.

And you also have to really watch out for Electrolux, which is everywhere.

Coming from Stuttgart we have always had a preference for Bosch. But I have to say that the Bosch appliances sold in the states are not nearly as reliable as those I remember from Germany.

And even in Germany they seem to be putting in cheaper compressors and lots of microchips and calling it “green” technology.

I think they are building intentionally cheaper units that are less reliable so that you have to replace them more often.

They are also constantly changing the refrigerant types so that you can’t just recharge an old compressor.

Which leads to the question how green is green if you have to use the energy to make and transport a new one, not to mention recycle the old one, every 8 years instead of every 20 years.

The old Bosch units from the 70s and 80s were great. Ran forever and nothing went wrong.

Today, not so much.

1 Like

A few years ago, when the first repair guy from Siemens came, he told me that the technology of Bosch and Siemens were identical, they were 1 company. Siemens had more appliances that allowed to build in your shelves while Bosch couldn’t do it. In terms of market positioning, Siemens were more expensive. Should have know this before…

By the way, a year or 2 years ago, their new CEO decided that Siemens won’t do any home appliances anymore and only machines for industries, they will keep the brand Bosch for home appliances.

I’m living in France, so I was hoping that the machines were from Germany, I will ask the repair guy on Wednesday.

Yes the salad had a hidden layer of thin sliced nappa cabbage underneath (which i like since it’s sturdy and crisp) and then thin sliced on the mandoline celery, fennel (aka anise), radishes, chopped scallions, the fennel fronds, toasted sunflower seeds (i like it better with pumpkin seeds but i couldn’t find them), and chopped dried figs and the pomegranate seeds. I do a rather simple vinegrette since the salad has so many flavors going on, just good olive oil, a white wine or champagne vinegar, lots of black pepper, a pinch of salt, and a heavy hand with the dijon. Sometimes i’ll add a little spoon of mayo to the dressing or a tsp of chia seeds to make it thicker.
I actually have the prep ahead and packaging perfected now, hahaha. I prep it all in the morning and pack into a bunch of separate plastic baggies (that i save and reuse), then at my destination it’s just assembling in the serving bowl

1 Like

Everyone is doing it now. I hate it. I hate to go shopping and to replace things. I replaced my Bauknecht dishwasher last year with a Siemens. The built-in Bauknecht which came with the house we bought was German made.

My next fridge will most probably be a Miele. Is it really "always better? Old Miele slogan was “there’s no better”, now “Immer Besser”/“always better”. Their service is top notch and makes sure everyone knows that.

I’ve seen the Siemens’ ancestral home myself. Goslar itself is a stunning medieval town. Really gorgeous. One of the most gorgeous medieval towns in Germany I have been to.

3 Likes

And btw, someone who has email contact with Gio please tell her I say get better soon and I have missed her posting. And maybe she has a question for Fuchsia Dunlop… :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Watch out for AEG, this is Electrolux & not to be trusted.

Does Liebherr still make appliances? They are also good, from Biberach an der Riß in the Schwäbisch Alb.

1 Like

Yes, Liebherr’s fridge and freeze sector is still going strong.

1 Like

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

My CH friend received an email from Gio’s daughter that Gio was ill in bed, appreciated the emails and would respond as soon as she was able. I’ll copy your post and send it to Gio via my CH friend!

6 Likes

LEFTOVERS. But some of them have been re-purposed into Leftover Turkey Chili.

Chopped onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic were sauteed Chili powder and ground cumin added and continued on the sauté.

A can of kidney beans, a larger can of diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, a cup of chicken stock, and about 2-3 cups of diced turkey were added. I also added about 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato mash, which gave it a nice sweet/gingery spice flavor to the mix.

Some dried oregano, salt, pepper, and then simmer, simmer, simmer with the lid ajar until I was hungry. Served on top of elbow noodles, with grated cheddar and sour cream on top. A small salad alongside. T’was good. And most will go into the freezer for later easy eats.

Day 10 of 10 = wine.

Back to work tomorrow. :::::BIG sigh:::::

3 Likes