What's for Dinner #15 - 11/2016 - the Back-to-Standard-Time Edition

Simple stuff

Had chicken tenders from breaking down a couple of chickens.

Pan fried and served over salad with a lebneh and mayo based dressing, used sparingly. Exceeded expectations. Love it what that happens

7 Likes

So NYC went from sunny and in the 60s saturday to holycrapitswinter freezing and blustry sunday… yikes.
I had watched a travel show where they were eating all over thailand and all i could think about what a hot huge bowl of coconut milk curry. I have a not too spicy green curry paste and made exactly that sunday night- i almost followed this recipe except i nixed the veg broth and used a second can of lite coconut milk, skipped the sugar, swapped in water chestnuts for bamboo shoots cuz i don’t like those, and i also added in a block of cubed firm tofu (who writes these recipes? After a bowl of veggies in coconut milk you’re hungry and hour later!) i topped my bowl with some chopped cashews, cilantro, the basil, and bean sprouts. Really hit the spot and great frangrance.

Exact same dinner again tonight and i still have another dinner of leftovers for later in the week

2 Likes

Beautiful .

Naf uses her real camera again. Nice shot of the squid.

Made the food look nice but no time to make a nice photo today. I forgot to dust the liver with flour so it looked charred and ugly but it’s OK. Besides, liver is totally not photogenic. Contains loads of vit. A, minerals (and cholesterol) to make up for that.

Lingua would recognise this as “Himmel un Ääd”, but then with calf liver. To the rest of us it’s liver with mashed potatoes and apple. This typical meal in Rheinland region (western Germany) is made with blood sausage.

5 Likes

I thought we’d be having the Thai curry tonight, but after not having the greatest evening following our ramen excursion, I’ve opted for spicy panko chicken tenders and a side salad.

We’re hosting a poker game, and I don’t need no stomach problems. Ain’t nobody got time for that :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hope you win (big) today!

Naf - that’s terrible! You live in France, right? Dental is covered under CPAM?

I did, despite having to buy in twice – ended up making about $30 :slight_smile:

The cod for the seafood curry will end up just being pan-fried tonight with a butter/wine sauce, and my man and I will share it. No sides, b/c I suck at planning. We are going out for drinks afterwards, so there might be a little snack later.

2 Likes

Cran-Orange Relish made.
Slivered almonds toasted for the green beans.
Maple-ginger mashed sweet potatoes made.
Sour cream buttery mashed potatoes made.

Turkey breast massaged with a butter-olive oil-herb mixture and in the downstairs fridge. (There was no Great Thanksgiving Knife Incident this year, thank goodness - fingernails are all intact - at least so far!)

Pumpkin pie is in the oven, pumpkining away. (Picture to follow if it looks worthy.) ETA: Pah is out of the oven. I’m happy.

All of The Other Things I will need tomorrow at Mom’s gathered together and ready to be packed in the morning. I always bring more tools than I think I need as a “just in case”. Cooking in not-your-own-kitchen is always fun if they don’t have what you need and KNOW you have at home.

Leftovers - et.
Day 6 of 10 = wine. (Day 5 of 10 was out last night at a local restaurant catching up with a former coworker.)

Happy Thanksgiving to All, and to All a Good Night.

4 Likes

Short day of mayhem at the office before running away to a ballet matinee and some afternoon wine with a friend. Came home to finish cooking- a new and improved version of the mushroom walnut pate that thankfully turned out more mushroomy and fluffier as well as lots of chopping and washing and packaging to take my dishes to celebrations tomorrow.
Extra fennel,onion, mushrooms and garlic were sautéed , and once softened i added in white beans and a big handful of spinach with a splash of soyvay to make a bowl meal dinner.
Disaster area photo while

work in progress, sipping hard cider and enjoying taking my time in the kitchen

5 Likes

Turkey.

We don’t really paticipate in holidays and neither of us care for the traditional turkey dinner… BUT… I love to take advantage of the sales on big hunks of meat so tonight is a 5 pound ribeye roast, loaded baked potatoes at the mans request and roasted broccoli. An enormous sour cream cheesecake was made last night and it cracked so this morning I made lemon curd with which I hid all evidence of the mishap.

5 Likes

Dinner for me and Mom at her apartment. My sister and BIL joined us for apps before they headed to his sister’s house.

Mom and I enjoyed a great herbed-roasted turkey, sour cream mashed potatoes, maple-ginger mashed sweet potatoes, glazed carrots, green beans with toasted almonds, and cranberry-orange relish. And I was only 10 minutes off my scheduled serving time. Yay, me!

Pumpkin pah for laters.

Day 7 of 10 = wine.

8 Likes

Happy TG looks wonderful

1 Like

delete

Not for long, I should have stored the camera near the kitchen. Strangely phone was always around though.

Not a lot with treatment like root canal or dental implants.

Thx. Getting a bit better now. The appointment with the dentist will be next year.

Wednesday dinner grilled porc belly with 4 spices, black vinegar and Chinese Shaoxing wine. Stirred fried bell pepper, chilli, shallot and tofu with oyster sauce and wine, served with rice. Should have used hard tofu instead of soft one. Hubby like the meal.

No fridge until next Wednesday, the repair guy was fully booked.
So last night’s dinner was the last frozen something found in the freezer: panais dumplings and some chicken breast. Cheese and bread.

8 Likes

Well done, LindaW. Treasure these precious times spent together.

Naf, never met a pork belly I didn’t like.

Your big American fridge seems to have problems frequently? I have a Liebherr but it’s getting old and needs to be turned off once a year or so to thaw out completely. Not sure what my next fridge will be when this one dies oneday. It will always be a German made one for sure. Only German technology for me when it comes to fridge and oven, that kind of things in the kitchen.

Have been thinking about roasting a chunk of pork belly. Gonna order it from the usual organic butcher tomorrow. They always have a sliced pork belly in the shop but to get a big piece weighing at least 1kg I have to make an order.

Dinner today was tea smoked cuttlefish (which I froze last week) stir-fried with crab meat (extracted from crab claws I steamed previously) and Sichuan chilies in oil. Carb was noodles, greens were long stemmed broccoli. Removing the crab meat took longer than expected thus didn’t have much time left for photos.

Finally I can put my feet up now. Have a delicious weekend, everyone!

3 Likes

Leftovers tonight. What else?
Day 8 of 10 = wine.
Pah and ice cream for dessert.
Assorted videos or DVR’d shows on the flat screen.

Gratuitous pics of this morning’s sleepy boyz. Alfie gave up trying to keep his head up and finally used Buster as his bright light blocker. :smiley:

10 Likes

Gorgeous Gratuitous photos of your Tabbys.

4 Likes

Yesterday’s Thanksgivathon was fantastic, although i wasn’t able to stay long at the first celebration.
My bubbles matched the flowers!

The omni attendees loved the pate and didn’t seem upset it was duck liver free

More bubbles at celebration #2 with The Legomaster photobombing

The salad i brought and the beautiful colorful array of dishes

The shredded beets with walnuts may have been my favorite, apparently a recipe from the russian hostess’s mother that she promised to send me.

Tonight i kept it simple, had to work this afternoon and took a detour through koreatown on my way home to pick up fresh tofu, pickled daikon, and some veggies. I munched sliced pickled daikon as my "appetizer " while cooking, love that stuff. I just pan fried the tofu with a generous amount of furikake patted onto it, and in another pan stir fried some baby bok choy, snow peas and at the last minute bean sprouts with a combo of mushroom soy sauce and a bit of toasted sesame oil. Veggies went in a bowl topped with the 'fu, and a big mug of miso the sip on the side.

9 Likes