What's for Dinner #15 - 11/2016 - the Back-to-Standard-Time Edition

As regards appliances these days you really need to check carefully where things are made. Even though it has a German trademark it could be made in Turkey.

And you also have to really watch out for Electrolux, which is everywhere.

Coming from Stuttgart we have always had a preference for Bosch. But I have to say that the Bosch appliances sold in the states are not nearly as reliable as those I remember from Germany.

And even in Germany they seem to be putting in cheaper compressors and lots of microchips and calling it “green” technology.

I think they are building intentionally cheaper units that are less reliable so that you have to replace them more often.

They are also constantly changing the refrigerant types so that you can’t just recharge an old compressor.

Which leads to the question how green is green if you have to use the energy to make and transport a new one, not to mention recycle the old one, every 8 years instead of every 20 years.

The old Bosch units from the 70s and 80s were great. Ran forever and nothing went wrong.

Today, not so much.

1 Like

A few years ago, when the first repair guy from Siemens came, he told me that the technology of Bosch and Siemens were identical, they were 1 company. Siemens had more appliances that allowed to build in your shelves while Bosch couldn’t do it. In terms of market positioning, Siemens were more expensive. Should have know this before…

By the way, a year or 2 years ago, their new CEO decided that Siemens won’t do any home appliances anymore and only machines for industries, they will keep the brand Bosch for home appliances.

I’m living in France, so I was hoping that the machines were from Germany, I will ask the repair guy on Wednesday.

Yes the salad had a hidden layer of thin sliced nappa cabbage underneath (which i like since it’s sturdy and crisp) and then thin sliced on the mandoline celery, fennel (aka anise), radishes, chopped scallions, the fennel fronds, toasted sunflower seeds (i like it better with pumpkin seeds but i couldn’t find them), and chopped dried figs and the pomegranate seeds. I do a rather simple vinegrette since the salad has so many flavors going on, just good olive oil, a white wine or champagne vinegar, lots of black pepper, a pinch of salt, and a heavy hand with the dijon. Sometimes i’ll add a little spoon of mayo to the dressing or a tsp of chia seeds to make it thicker.
I actually have the prep ahead and packaging perfected now, hahaha. I prep it all in the morning and pack into a bunch of separate plastic baggies (that i save and reuse), then at my destination it’s just assembling in the serving bowl

1 Like

Everyone is doing it now. I hate it. I hate to go shopping and to replace things. I replaced my Bauknecht dishwasher last year with a Siemens. The built-in Bauknecht which came with the house we bought was German made.

My next fridge will most probably be a Miele. Is it really "always better? Old Miele slogan was “there’s no better”, now “Immer Besser”/“always better”. Their service is top notch and makes sure everyone knows that.

I’ve seen the Siemens’ ancestral home myself. Goslar itself is a stunning medieval town. Really gorgeous. One of the most gorgeous medieval towns in Germany I have been to.

3 Likes

And btw, someone who has email contact with Gio please tell her I say get better soon and I have missed her posting. And maybe she has a question for Fuchsia Dunlop… :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Watch out for AEG, this is Electrolux & not to be trusted.

Does Liebherr still make appliances? They are also good, from Biberach an der Riß in the Schwäbisch Alb.

1 Like

Yes, Liebherr’s fridge and freeze sector is still going strong.

1 Like

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

My CH friend received an email from Gio’s daughter that Gio was ill in bed, appreciated the emails and would respond as soon as she was able. I’ll copy your post and send it to Gio via my CH friend!

6 Likes

LEFTOVERS. But some of them have been re-purposed into Leftover Turkey Chili.

Chopped onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic were sauteed Chili powder and ground cumin added and continued on the sauté.

A can of kidney beans, a larger can of diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, a cup of chicken stock, and about 2-3 cups of diced turkey were added. I also added about 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato mash, which gave it a nice sweet/gingery spice flavor to the mix.

Some dried oregano, salt, pepper, and then simmer, simmer, simmer with the lid ajar until I was hungry. Served on top of elbow noodles, with grated cheddar and sour cream on top. A small salad alongside. T’was good. And most will go into the freezer for later easy eats.

Day 10 of 10 = wine.

Back to work tomorrow. :::::BIG sigh:::::

3 Likes

I made a wicked hot beef sandwich with a left over roast. I caramelized sweet onions with balsamic vinegar, thinly sliced the beef and heated it in a skillet just enough that the fat in the marbling started to melt. I spread some creamy Greek flavoured dressing on Dutch crunch bread, piled on the meat and onions. Topped it off with Parmesan cheese petals. Crazy good!

4 Likes

A thick slice of ancient grain bread with seeds, lightly toasted and topped with cream cheese and cranberry sauce.

And a giant, crunchy pile of lettuce with lemon vinegrette.

2 Likes

Not much for me . I’m in the hotel room for another 2 1/2 weeks . I brought my Bialetti and coffee grinder a couple pans and a little stove top propane stove . Other than that I am making Annie Chuns microwave and adding prawns . Scrambled eggs for breakfast , cheese and bread , . Going out for the occasional lunch and dinner . Fly fishing has been phenomenal . Loving it .:evergreen_tree::fish:

6 Likes

A gloomy day in HV — almost Berlin-like.

Not scheduled to work tonight, as I was anticipating a band rehearsal that’s not happening… and so finally, the Thai green curry will make its long awaited appearance: the Chinese eggplant was still in fine shape, the orange pepper a little wrinkly (but it’ll get cooked anyway), and I’m adding about a cup frozen peas. Got a nice cod filet to chop into chunks and toss in at the very end. All served over basmati. Wish I could get my hands on some Thai basil, but no dice.

Early dinner tonight, possibly followed by a drink or two at the CBDTR.

3 Likes

We swear by Bosch kit for the kitchen. The only thing we have not by them is the second fridge (generally known as Mrs H’s booze fridge) - and that only because we needed a very narrow one which Bosch didnt sell.

3 Likes

I would like such a booze fridge, too! The partner complains our fridge is full of beer and wine and that 99% of the beer is mine.

You have good self-control, Mr. H. :innocent:

1 Like

Well I call mine a beer fridge, but everyone needs to have one of these.

Due to some of the cheeses and some dry aged beef I have used mine for, it actually has a very pleasant, faintly nutty odor.

4 Likes

Baked Mac & Ham & Cheese - for me and for freezer Mom meals. Easy-peasy.

6 Likes

Last night I made a dish of ground meat sautéed with onions, garlic, eggplant and baharat spices and toasted pine nuts over white rice

5 Likes

The December edition is here:

1 Like