What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

Another gratuitous cat shot…

Rainy day today.

3 Likes

Went to Six Flags in Jersey today to enjoy some Fright Fest activities. We stopped at Quaker Steak and Lube in Edison for burgers and wings for lunch on the way home (followed by a stop at the Edison Costco for wine!), so dinner will be quick and light, maybe omelets and a salad. I’m also firing up the smoker for ribs tomorrow, so I’ll need to prep and rub them tonight.

4 Likes

You know when you take something out of the freezer and are POSITIVE it’s what you wanted to cook that night but because you hadn’t labeled it that it ends up not being quite what you wanted but you also realize with some re-jiggering it’ll work even though you’re still a bit ticked off that it’s not exactly what you wanted?

Yeah, I hate when that happens.

Thought it was b/s chicken breast, but it was a couple of chicken thighs. OK, re-ijiggering time. Ended up seasoning with some za’atar and pan-seared them in hot oil & butter, then added a half cup of chicken stock and let it reduce for a bit of a “sauce”.

Sides were lemon-pepper tagliatelle and steamed asparagus. Wine. An ice cream sandwich for dessert.

5 Likes

Where to eat it in Montreal? (And other Vietnamese specialities)

I’ll back next week for a few days before flying home.

Yes, I hate it. But you have somehow managed.

1 Like

Just arrived in Winnipeg at 7:30 this morning. Went from 23C to 1C. Brought my thermasl and woolens and put them on before getting off the train

I was busy and tired (too warm) during my last days in Toronto, and besides I didn’t eat anything interesting also because of the heat. It’s so sunny and warm there in october. Every day I get a new tan on top of the old one.

Last Canadian lobsters (in Toronto).

Little neck clams

Made it to Niagara Falls! Spectacular falls! Wowsa! Used to see postcards or photos of a boat with people in ponchos sailing directly into the mist and now I did the same thing. I was all drenched, just like taking a shower with clothes on. Water in my shoes and everything. The spraying is very powerful. The town is horrible, however. Just like errr Vegas? So fucking noisy and insane. I was there for the waterfalls and a few beers (and got another deep tan).

Any closer and you couldn’t make photos. The wind blows the spray far and wide.

American side

5 Likes

Where are you eating in the 'Peg??

I plead ignorance- what is a half sour??

Hard to find anything I like here. The distance is so great everywhere in this country. I got an address of a Vietnamese restaurant and that’s where I had lunch today.

A kind of deli pickle traditionally found in NY Jewish Delicatessens.

Ah- ok what hotel are you at? There are actually a number of good restaurants. I grew up 30 kms north of Winnipeg and go back frequently.

What are its specific features?

Thanks. Tell me one place.
Can’t eat anymore… I’m off again tomorrow.

I went to a beer place for beer (“Smith”) inside a hotel in the Forks area. It’s more of a restaurant but has craft beers. Didn’t look at their food menu.

Oh dear- Smith has lousy food from what I’ve heard- Segovia is good- well happy travels and better luck at the next stop.

Good thing I didn’t eat anything there then. Not sure if it gets any better in the coming days.

Dinner on the train.

Salad

Clam chowder

Raviolis with spinach and cheeses

Prime rib of beef

I didn’t eat this, my travel companion did.

Menu

Table setting

There are 4 booths.

The rest of the tables in the dining car

6 Likes

What are your next few stops?

If I think you’re on the Canadian- Saskatoon, Edmonton and Jasper are your next stops - I can give you suggestions if you want? Let me know and what you like to eat.

We split a delicious grass fed ribeye, grilled with a bit of salt and pepper. Sides were grilled baguette rubbed with grilled tomato and brussel sprouts.

The brussels were the highlight. Started by browning chopped bacon with some maple syrup and set it aside. Added shallots and shredded brussels and browned. Finished with some butter and topped with pomegranate seeds. Hard to photograph but delicious.

Tomorrow’s project is to figure out what to do with these fresh cranberry beans I shelled this morning.

4 Likes

Looks quite lovely - the setting in the dining car and the food. A train ride across Canada sounds like a good way to see the country!

2 Likes

It’s a pickle that hasn’t really turned into a pickle yet…! It’s still crunchy like a cucumber and not quite salty or flavorful enough.

2 Likes