What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

It’s finally Fall. Autumn. Cooler weather. Ahhhh. Always look forward to this season - my favorite. What braises, stews, warming meals are you making?

1 Like

As for me - Antique apple pick this morning in a misty rain makes for great parking and no crowds. Got Sheepnose, Farmeuse Snow, Cox Orange Pippen, Winter Banana, Chenango Strawberry, and Northern Spy.

For dinner, TJ’s pork belly with an apple cider syrup & sriracha glaze, Israeli couscous with dried marjoram, and green beans, carrots, and stripey & red bell peppers sauteed in butter and olive oil, salt, pepper and dried marjoram.

Wine.

Apple crisp for dessert. I used the Cox Orange Pippens from the apple picking in the crisp.

4 Likes

Turkey Chile Verde:

Served over Nathan’s beef Frank’s with tortilla chips, vt cheddar, sour cream and NJ hatches:

Football Food !!!

5 Likes

Osso bucco over homemade noodles. Started by carmelizing two onions and garlic. Added three anchovy fillets and mashed them with rosemary and oregano. Beef broth and the meat went in and simmered all day. Just before dinner two diced carrots went into the pot. Served over home made pasta. Pic is the last bites of my bowl. Happy Dogs are now enjoying the bones.

6 Likes

I have never had matzo ball soup. I am certain i would love it and yet every restaurant version is of course made with chicken. My own attempt to make matzo balls a few years back was an epic fail.
So when I randomly found this package of fresh already made matzo balls at the market i snatched them up!! I sauteed some onions/celery/carrots in generous olive oil, then used some homemade veg stock and added in some mushroom broth and simmered. Topped with generous fresh dill. Very tasty! Perfect for the chilly overcast day we had.

7 Likes

You may be interested in the above recipe, which sounds pretty good.

Some put a little baking soda or seltzer in the matzo balls to lighten them, although it is not kosher for Passover.

I’ve been wanting to do breakfast for dinner for a while now. Today looks like the day. Bacon, eggs, home fries and over-buttered rye toast!

2 Likes

I managed to make something in my almost unusable kitchen. When packing I was debating whether or not to pack my knives. Decided to leave them behind. Big mistake. I will pack my knives from now on no matter what.

5 Likes

That looks really good. How was the bison? I know it’s pretty lean and you sliced it nice and thin

If your knives are valuable you may want to consider hitting a restaurant supply for “travel” knives.

I would not want to trust my Henckels or Japanese knives to checked baggage.

1 Like

I have a selection of Henckles that I bought for a song off a damaged table at a local department store. Fixed them all and I travel with those. I recently took a Japanese slicer to Kentucky for a group bourbon event. A friend had traveled with 3 sides of homemade Nova Lox and asked if I would slice it for him. Never had an issue with anything missing from my luggage, so far

1 Like

Brady’s back tomorrow to help pull the Pats out of that utterly dismal loss. Phew.

Tonight was a roasty-toasty Sunday Dinner - roast chicken stuffed with chunks of lemon and sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme; roasted creamer potatoes tossed with a garlic powder, salt, and mixture of oregano, parsley, thyme, dried orange zest and paprika; and roasted carrots and radishes tossed with olive oil, salt, and fresh thyme.

Wine. And some of the apple crisp with the rest of the ice cream in the freezer alongside. (Mental note to get more ice cream.)

4 Likes

Eating at home, made Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Tikka Masala, Baingan Bahrta & Basmati.

Anglo Indian comfort food.

3 Likes

The bison was very lean, tender and mild. Not “gamey” or beefy at all. I have had bison several times at home, price is the same but then in euros.

Is it not (readily) available in Florida?

Mine are no Henckels. Just simple, sharp travel knives with sheaths.

Do you pack your non valuable knives when travelling? Anyone here does that?

I think most of us here don’t like using other people’s things, especially certain useful tools such as knifes.

“Dinner” today was most simple. Parsley, tomatoes, cucumber and steamed lobster tails.

Bison ribeye is my favourite. I find beef ribeye too fatty for my liking. Bison is leaner,so the balance is just right.

I used to fly a lot, and the airlines lost my checked bags all the time.

As a result, I can do business travel out of a carry-on for three weeks, or maybe longer. Personal travel definitely longer. That’s why God created H & M, disposable clothes.

I do not check bags anymore unless I am transporting something for someone.

So no, I don’t pack knives.

If I am going to Germany or Sweden to visit relatives they have knives.

Elsewhere I would buy something effective, inexpensive and disposable and leave it where ever I am traveling. Or borrow it from the hotel or hostel.

I guess the best way to summarize my thought on this is that I would not check anything that I was not prepared to loose.

I have everyday expensive knives, some of which are inherited or gifts, that I have collected over a lifetime and would not want to trust to the airlines.

If your knives are less valuable then you might be ok.

Ps. The Warsaw convention limits liability to $ 400 per checked bag for international. A Zwilling Pro 10" chef is $ 159.00 on the Henckels US website.

2 Likes

In a way, it’s true. Twice we had our luggages arriving the next day, huge stress and affecting the mood of vacation. We usually put our checked in luggage in a cheap looking canvas zipped bag, to protect the luggage. But in the end of the day, it looks so cheap that even thieves aren’t interested. Many times, I saw bags aren’t checked in instantly but left in front of the check in counter.

On the recent trip, our luggage was lost the first night. We were so frustrated that we sat down to approximately calculated the value of our bag… even everything seems not of high value, it ended up like 1000 euro though. We learned a lesson that never leave the chargers of our phones in the bag!

We travel with knives but not because we are cooking a lot, just handy to have one to cut fresh fruits, if we want to do some picnics…

Our knife we used in the recent trip.

1 Like