What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

NY Strip, sliced tomatoes with purple basil & lemon thyme, rocket sauteed with garlic & cherry tomato, asparagus, Yukon gold baked potatoes with chive & sour cream:

6 Likes

Nice. I would like bison ribs, too. The supermarket I went to had the steaks and mince.

Indeed. These days I don’t check in my bag if the trip is 1 or 2 weeks.

Naf, I always bring my Swiss army knife for fruits and picnics. Your knife looks like a multi tasker and bigger than my Swiss army knife for sure.

Very nice meal, VikingKaj. Like your steak knife as well.

Vietnamese for us today.

Soup

“Banh Xeo”

3 Likes

Herbed Loin Pork Chop, Red Cabbage, Mashed Turnips, creamed Kohlrabi with peas and pearl onions:

2 Likes

Dang VK,

You cook the way I would cook, if I were a better cook! Your meals look better than picture perfect. kudos.

You’ve been cooking up a storm these past few days - looks amazing!

I’m dealing with a wonky tummy recently, so it’s been the leftover roast chicken with plain rice, and scrambled eggs and toast. Tonight I had the leftover pork belly. We’ll see how I do.

Thanks. The pork chops were really nice at the store today. German Swedish comfort food.

Fish and brussels

3 Likes

Gratuitous cat shot:

9 Likes

23 day dry aged ribeyes. Aged with a DryBag , cooked SV then finished stove top in cast iron

6 Likes

Fall is in the air so I turned on the oven and roasted up some dinner! Chicken thighs on a bed of onions, fennel, garlic and rosemary, plus Brussels sprouts with thyme and parmesan. Served with a glass of petite sirah. Quite satisfying!

5 Likes

Jarlsburgers on rye toast, sliced tomatoes, arugula, onion, half sours & avocado, and Tater tits:

4 Likes

I don’t understand the half sour pickle phenomenon. Then again i never knew of such a thing until i moved to the east coast… Proper kosher dills are my most favorite, possibly tied with cornichons.

Monday night I actually got home at a decent time! I made a version of this great quinoa and kale pilaf, with a number of changes- i use a regular lemon, a lot more kale that i cut in tiny ribbons so it gets nice and soft, i used chopped walnuts instead of pine nuts, and olive oil. Skipped the goat cheese, and added in some cubed smoked tofu.
It’s a great one pot meal that doesn’t take long and leftovers reheat well.

Worked late tues and wed and have been fighting a cold-ugh. Leftovers from monday night and making and drinking tons of green juice to try and kick this quickly.

Tonight i stopped at a random market (subway issues so i got off two stops before mine and just walked!) and i found this fantastic array of arepas!! (See photo, there were tons) Very exciting.
So tonight i just heated up two of the plain arepas i bought and topped them with some trader joe’s cuban black beans, sliced avocado, sliced radishes, halved cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and “sour supreme” (nondairy sour cream). Totally messy to eat and really great intense corn flavor in those arepas.

3 Likes

I have some German Dill’s (Hengstenberg) at home right now too that you would probably like better.

Hengstenberg in Schwaben is known for their vinegars, so if a wine is a little off it is often referred to as a “Hengstenberg Spätlese”.

Got the half sours to go with the pastrami the other day and now I need to finish them. Lately I have been getting the Schorr’s from Florida, which are a lot better than the Ba’ Tempte.

1 Like

So much for best laid plans. A day off for antiquing in Quechee & Woodstock, VT was usurped with an unscheduled doctor’s visit. Getting old sucks.

Dinner planned on my drive home from Home Goods (bought myself some vanilla candles) and the stupidmarket: Pan-seared pork chops seasoned with s/p, thyme and ground sumac, some chicken stock added and reduced, and then a bit of heavy cream added towards the end. Aleppo and maple sweet potato mash, and steamed green beans as the sides, and a glass of wine. A chocolate truffle bomb for dessert. (Thank you, Hannaford.) Some movie I’ll eventually pick out. Or not.

5 Likes

We had pork and green beans for dinner tonight too, but no chocolate bomb. Jealous!

2 Likes

Yes, it adds up really quickly, especially if your trip at all involves business wear - even casual business wear - or sporting activities that involve technical garments or accessories. When I travel to the Netherlands, HEMA is a godsend for cheap but decent housewears and even toiletries. There is a small HEMA in Schiphol airport and larger ones in different neighbourhoods from the centre to the suburbs. They even sell wine (nothing high-end, just fairly decent table wine) and a selection of foods.

I do wish we could carry corkscrews, though more and more wines, even somewhat higher-end ones, have screwcaps now.

I love banh xeo!

1 Like

Livia sends purrs.