What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

They are always in the refrigerator section.

The first thing a traditional NY Jewish deli used to do was bring out a dish of complementary pickles, including half sours.

2 Likes

Here’s the best recipe I could find on the net:

They use a 3.5% brine (half strength). When done right they are crisp and have a fresher cucumber taste.

When done wrong they are downright funky.

1 Like

In years gone by, railroads on this continent were renowned for their excellent cuisine.

Then came the airlines and Amtrack.

In general, it is also getting harder to find restos in N America that still do table linen, silver ware and crystal. A number of places with Michelin stars don’t have this. It is always a sign of civilized service to find them, kudos to CNR for preserving this, and to you for patronizing the service.

The food also looks good, especially the prime rib, but I was wondering about the brown sauce. A Demi Glace reduction perhaps?

2 Likes

Dinner will be chili served over elbow noodles, with grated cheddar on top as well as a dollop of sour cream. It’s perfect chili weather as it’s been cool and rainy all day (actually since last night). Nothing like what the Southeast got, of course, but much needed with our drought. But also perfect weather for watching the return of TB12 in today’s game against Cleveland.

I had to toss two boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix after making one box and realizing the batter tasted slightly off. Yup, just a tad old - from 2013. LOL

So just chili. No green leafy stuff. Just chili. Oh - I did some baking - Maple Apple Ginger Cake - two mini loaves (to be frozen for Mom) and one regular-sized loaf.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be chili Mac?

This is interesting to me because I grew up in a smaller city but with a fairly large Jewish community with a number of good deli but have never come across these.

Thanks for the info!

I just made a Pan Bagnat for a late lunch- love that combo!

1 Like

Chilly and rainy weekend here, which i almost didn’t mind since i caught a nasty cold that has been kicking my butt this weekend. Some people make and drink loads of tea, but i make and drink lots of green juice.
Yesterday i made my first soup of the season, a carrot ginger version that is heavy on the ginger (there’s also onions, garlic, thyme, lots of black pepper…) and i puree it with a can of white beans to smooth it out.
I rescued a half a pumpernickle bagel from the freezer which i chopped and toasted as chunky croutons.

Not much of an appetite today, sweet potatoes sounded good so i chopped and roasted them with just olive oil and salt/pepper, had a little bowl of those dribbled with almond butter. The leftovers will go into lunch salads

3 Likes

Not in my mind. Chili mac always has the two (elbows and chili) mixed together, like American Chop Suey, often causing the elbows to absorb the sauce from the chili and grow to the size of your thumb (a.k.a the hotel pans of American Chop Suey in high school cafeterias that were humongous “elbows” of mushy noodles with a bit of ground beef, peppers, onions, and a thin sauce).

This is chili on top of the separately cooked al dente elbow noodles, and not mixed in together for serving. It’s the way my stepfather served chili (having had 5 kids, it was the way he extended the meal to serve 4 very hungry growing boys and 1 daughter.) The same way Cincinnati Chili is served on top of the spaghetti noodles, this is as well. Just using elbow noodles.

So maybe you call it chili mac - but I don’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Schnitzel, parsley potatoes, heirloom tomatoes, peas with pearl onions:

6 Likes

Salmon with Swiss Chard

8 Likes

Roasted off a couple of split chix breasts to make my dinner craving tonight – a panino.

Chicken & Swiss panino with lettuce and a mayo/chili sauce/pickle relish/Sriracha schmear. Grilled on the grill pan after slathering with butter on the outside.

Sweet potato fries alongside with the mayo blend as a dipping sauce. Wine. Yum.

I’ll make another panino for lunch tomorrow.

5 Likes

Chicken green mole’ with carrots

1 Like

We had lots to do after work, and ended up picking up InNOut as we got closer to home. Two double doubles, one no onions, one protein style with grilled onions add pickles.

2 Likes

VikingKaj, the brown sauce is most probably artificial gravy. Meat was good, though.

No real din din today. Canadian thanksgiving today, everything was closed. Well, almost. An expensive restaurant inside a hotel on the next block it was business as usual but I had brought with me sourdough bread and sandwich meat from Windypeg . Made some soup broth to eat with that and I guess that was dinner. Everything should be open again tomorrow and I look forward to eating arctic char.

I’m in a small town in sub arctic Canada.

4 Likes

Beef pho last night, soup was homemade with beef brisket. I was lazy to search for herbs in the Vietnamese store, so I had to settle what I could find in the Chinese store. We had coriander, mint and basilic Thai. I never saw mint served in Pho in Vietnam though, very common in France.

7 Likes

Put together a three recipe mash up of a coffee rubbed, beer basted chuck roast yesterday. The vegetables were amazing!

9 Likes

This looks wonderful.

1 Like

This is putting me in the mood for pot roast, for sure!

2 Likes

Roast beef aus jus, pan roasted yukon gold potatoes, fried asparagus, mushrooms & horseradish:

A little English tonight.

9 Likes