What's for Dinner #13 - 9/2016 - Waning Summer Edition

Made more corn relish so needed something to go with it. Crab cakes and slaw

9 Likes

Pulled pork was a big hit. Total cook time was just under 12 hours. I probably could have sped up the process by moving the pork to my indoor oven, but it was SO hot today, I just didn’t want to heat the house. I ended up increasing the temp on the smoker to 250 for the last couple of hours, but I may do that a little earlier next time if I want it to go a little faster. Still, the outcome was DELICIOUS. Tender but not mushy (temp was 195 after resting for 30 mins), great smoke flavor (cherry is my new favorite!) and the sauce came out great. Added bonus: I cut up the watermelon and it’s a really good one!

5 Likes

I wanted to snap pictures this year . I didn’t , no smart phone here . Along the same lines for the menu . The difference was the added mac and cheese , And what is that I see on the other spit I asked the chef . Two large primal cuts of prime rib cut American raised wagyu . Another great party ; can’t wait for next year . The pig was also there . There was a small fire of oak , with a simple rotisserie set up with the pig slowly spinning over the coals . I did ask for those crispy cheek pieces .:yum: I didn’t even know what to think of the wagyu . I picked out the crispy outside chunks of tender beef with those melt in your mouth pieces of fat hanging on .

5 Likes

Spicy Swiss chard tart with Parmesan, mozzarella, and two eggs. We grabbed the chard, serranos, thyme, and chives from the garden. Served with a nice dry rose.

11 Likes

Nice .

1 Like

A day of solitude. Spent the day feeding Mom’s freezer and watching Season 1 of “Humans” on Amazon. Good show.

Four containers of Chicken-Corn Chowder and four mini loaf pans of mac & ham & cheese are in the freezer for her, plus some of both for me. Along with Pork & Sweet Potato Stew and some pot roast and gravy, she should be set for a little while. The only other thing I’m thinking of making is Lamb & Barley-Veg Soup.

So it was mac & ham & cheese for me, some toasted sourdough bread, and a salad, with wine on the side.

4 Likes

That looks beautiful!

1 Like

Leftovers. We had a very frustrating day - my new kitchen island was supposed to be delivered today, but due to some sort of technical issue, it came around noon today. Some assembly required. So we hauled the 150 lb top piece out of the box only to discover that it had been BADLY damaged in transit. After a couple of smashed thumbs and toes, we got it back in the box and a replacement is coming Friday, but until then I have a huge box sitting in the middle of my kitchen. Hence, leftovers. LOL.

1 Like

BBQ chicken tonight. Smoked for 2 hrs then finished on the grill and sauced.

8 Likes

After the awesome party yesterday . From the FM today picked up a nice piece of Monterey Bay Ling cod . Will pan fry in butter . Red skin potatoes , steam and crush . And picked up some more early girl dry farmed tomatoes to make pan con tomate .

2 Likes

How frustrating.

Gnocchi with MH’s butter tomato sauce and fresh basil. I decided to learn how to make fresh gnocchi. Read a few recipes and gave it a go. We had dried pasta on hand in case of a failure.
I would say for a first try, all went well. I steamed the potatoes, cooled them a bit, peeled, riced them, added flour, an egg, and salt.
I managed to avoid gummy dense gnocchi! The only part I did not like was the stress of boiling small batches and getting them served. I think next time I’ll try a post cooking ice bath and then rewarm the whole batch.

5 Likes

Last night was a very healthy hippie kind of meal, seared tempeh with sesame oil and soy, ontop of a big massaged kale salad with lots of veggies and some hemp seeds.

I made the zahav hummus recipe and brought that to my friends’ this afternoon, we scooped it up with jicama, cucumbers, bell peppers and some sort of seedy thick crackers and had a few glasses of rose while (kind of) watching the US Open finals. (She cares, I don’t)
Kinda tipsy and not especially hungry, ended up having a huge honeycrisp apple that was really fantastic dipped in a bit of almond butter.

Trying to summon my life energy to tackle another crazy week at work

4 Likes

Agreed - I’d be livid!

What’s zahav hummus?

I’m kinda of obsessed with it
 ! Heavy on the tahini, and gets silky smooth.

1 Like

Oops, that should have read supposed to be delivered SATURDAY. So we spent ALL day Saturday waiting around for it, only to have them call at 8pm and tell us it wouldn’t be there until Sunday (and then arrive with major damage). I was livid. Luckily they are refunding the delivery charge, but even so I doubt I’ll order from Crate and Barrel again. It’s too bad, because I have several other pieces of furniture from there that are beautiful and excellent quality, and I don’t recall delivery issues with them. This island is part of their “ready to assemble” line and I have a feeling the quality control at the manufacturer level isn’t what it should be.

3 Likes

Restoration Hardware :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I looked on their website a bit but I thought the pricing was a bit out of control. Also, what’s with the new “member” price - I assume membership is costly as well?

Last night’s post-shift dinner was grilled sirloin that had marinated in soy sauce, RWV, Worcestershire, Maggi sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, rosemary & sea salt for good measure. Was perfectly med-rare, but still needed salt :smiley:

On the side was iceberg lettuce with yellow tomatoes & cukes in my man’s fab blue cheese dressing.

As for tonight’s post-shift dinner: TJ’s porcini-truffle triangoli topped with sautĂ©ed oyster mushrooms. I’ll likely add some lemon juice, soy sauce & a bit of heavy cream to the shrooms to make it all saucy-like. Side of baby arugula mix with cherry tomatoes, sliced radishes and dressing TBD.

6 Likes