What's for Dinner #13 - 9/2016 - Waning Summer Edition

Bio , I like those . Barbecue simply is simply hard . Nice for a first try :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™d like to dive head first into that pot

2 Likes

Eyed and purchased Monterey bay squid and dry farmed tomatoes from the FM today . Left over sliced rib eye from yesterday , squid marinated in oo , garlic , salt , and lemon , cooked on ci skillet for a minute . I spooned over a little of the reserve marinade when plated . I wanted some burratta cheese also . The real star of the show was the pan con tomate . Grated those tomatoes and added oo and salt with a smidge of crushed garlic . Put over the grilled bread . I want more of that . Looks like summer is coming to a end .

7 Likes

Got the meat sauce done.
Got the chicken stock done.
Got the pork & sweet potato stew done.
Didnā€™t get the mac ā€˜nā€™ ham ā€˜nā€™ and cheese done. (Can do that during the week.)
Read magazines.
Did laundry.
Called my nephew for his birthday.
Watched both seasons of the Amazon series ā€œMozart in the Jungleā€ within 24 hours. (HIGHLY recommended!)

Made Momā€™s Lemon Pot Roast for the first ā€œautumnā€ meal tonight, with boiled potatoes and carrots alongside. Perhaps a little bit too warm for this meal, but it was in the fridge and had to be made. The strong cool breeze helped keep the temps in the house down.
Drank wine.

5 Likes

When I make a minestrone, it is more stew than soup (Minestrone means ā€œbig soupā€) and is a full meal with bread and perhaps a green salad.

This past weekend I made tiny green beans (haricots fins) with garlic, olive oil and just a sprinkling of chopped Italian tomato. Added a bit of feta, crumbled, before serving. That was my meal.

Iā€™m making a farro salad later today with more of the tomatoes, green onion and flatleaf parsley - other things will certainly find their way into it. Obviously more olive oil and either a bit of white-wine vinegar or lemon juice.

4 Likes

You are ON a thread that was begun September 2. But if youā€™d prefer a different title, thereā€™s no reason you canā€™t start one yourself.

At this point, I have little idea whatā€™s in my freezer but I know itā€™s going on a year for a lot of it, so Iā€™m trying not to shop. I wanted lentil soup but was out of bagged lentils. I did have 2 boxes of TJ madras lentil/kidney bean entree, a can of plain lentils, some leeks, a cauliflower trunk, and frozen boneless pork chops. I cut up the pork and made a stew of sorts - was about to add broth but decided it wasnā€™t good enough to extend it to more than four mealsā€™ worth, so I left it as a stew. Hot weather is to return with a vengeance so it will be back to nuking the rest of this, and the wafflemaker.

Was feeling the urge for something garlicky tonight so I grilled a flank steak and dressed it with a board sauce of garlic paste, olive oil, thyme, rosemary and a little Worcestershire. Alongside was roasted broccoli and leeks (with more garlic), topped with parmesan cheese. Simple and good!

2 Likes

Greygarious - Presuntoā€™s post was moved over from WFD #12.

@Presuntoā€™s post from the August thread was merged with this new one, is why itā€™s here.

ETA: Oops - @LindaWhit beat me to it :smiley:

1 Like

Apologies for the confusion. Thanks, LindaW and Lingua.
You people always make funny and creative WFD titles (and content). :smile_cat:

PS: just wanted to say itā€™s cool Ttrockwood is posting more and more pics!

Nice to see you on WFD, Lagatta. Iā€™m heading off to your city shortly and have my beer (and some food, well mostly cheese) places sorted.

Din din today: a very typical northern Germany meal. The name of it is simply the ingredients (pears, beans and Speck). I guess northern Germans donā€™t have a lot of fantasies/creativity when it comes to names of food? This meal can also be a little soupy, btw. I make it soupy in the winter.

I still have one such chunk of smoked pork belly left til I must turn off the fridge.

6 Likes

REALLY good burgers on the menu tonight. Now that I have ventilation to the outside, I can get my cast iron grill/griddle REALLY hot and get a good dark sear on them while leaving the insides rare. The ground beef came from Costco but was tastier than expected for supermarket hamburger. DH wanted American cheese on his, but I topped mine with some overripe St. Andre I had lurking in the cheese drawer, which sort of half melted into a buttery, gooey sauce. Mmmmmm. Crudites alongside - I was too lazy for anything else!

5 Likes

Well going back to work from vacation was rough to say the leastā€¦ There were some fairly dramatic changes that happened while i was away! Yeeessh. Back to really long days.
Last night i made a version of this bean salad once i was home, but i swapped in sliced almonds and used the arugala i had instead of radicchio. I used by basic quick vinegrette with an extra glob of dijon because beans need that. I just had the bean salad ontop of some salad greens with a glass of wine a la carte.

Another long intense day today, home late. I kept thinking of the pan con tomate from another thread and made do with a sliced well toasted ciabatta roll and some tomatoes i paid too much for that still pale in comparison to the ones from dadā€™s garden. A little bean salad with greens on the side.

4 Likes

The last of my smoked pork belly and asparagus. I always freeze some asparagus to eat throughout summer. It was getting dark fast as you can see in the photos. An ugly blue hue and harsh shadows. My last outdoors photos this summer, unless I eat at 3pm in full sun.

Flat bread is filled with herbs in oil, plus some on the outside.

3 Likes

Sea scallops and corn relish tonight

10 Likes

Whole roasted pig on the spit cooked over oak wood , king salmon , rib eyes , new yorks , wood fired Neapolitan pizzas , pasta , salads , grilled bread , cobbler , full bar , top wines from the area , even more that I canā€™t remember . This was last year at a beautiful house in the Santa Cruz mountains , with a outdoor kitchen equipped with a pizza oven . Catered and bartenders . No special occasion just a party . Canā€™t wait for this afternoon to see whatā€™s up this year .

8 Likes

Trini-Chinese chicken is on the menu again. Probably a tomato/feta salad on the side, b/c Iā€™m still not done ODā€™ing on tomatoes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Smoking again. I started a pork shoulder rubbed with coffee, cocoa, paprika, garlic, onion and a few other things this morning around 9:00 - I gave it 4 hours of cherry wood smoke at 225, then wrapped it in foil and returned it to the smoker. Itā€™s at 188 now, so hopefully it will be tender perfection in just another hour or two. I added a bunch of chicken legs to the smoker for the last couple of hours of smoking and then glazed them with some bbq sauce in the broiler - pretty tasty, although I just donā€™t love smoked chicken because the skin isnā€™t crispy. However, they were much better than last weekendā€™s apple-smoked chicken - I love the flavor of the cherry wood. DH will eat those for lunches all week!

Sides for tonight will be watermelon and green beans, prep TBD. Iā€™m thinking maybe just browned butter and almonds, since there will be a lot of complexity/spice/sauce with the pork. I havenā€™t made a sauce yet, but Iā€™m planning to incorporate some of the drippings into a red chile base. The shoulder was probably 5+ pounds boneless so it should feed us for a while!

5 Likes

Chicken thighs, seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, seared in hot butter & oil, with a handful of sliced mushrooms tossed in, and then 1/4 cup dry sherry and 1/4 white wine added and simmered until reduced. Threw in a handful of baby tomatoes from my CEOā€™s garden until they burst (he plants a shitload of stuff every Spring but doesnā€™t eat a lot of it, so we get some of it at work).

Sides were steamed green beans and leftover rice pilaf. And wine. Iā€™ve done better on the taste front. Cooking mojo is gone.

Iā€™ll have some sliced cantaloupe, kiwi and thumb-sized blackberries drizzled with an aged balsamic for dessert.

Dessert - Cantaloupe, kiwi, and blackberries drizzled with some honey and aged balsamic.

5 Likes

When it happens again, please snap a pic. Would love to see the roasting set up!