What's For Dinner #12- 8/2016. Still looks like summer

What/ who is AB?

I would have to make a special trip to a market in another neighborhood or go to a farmers market in another neighborhood to then pay a lot. My life is a bit too insane right now to spend an extra hour or more going to pick them up… I’m headed to visit family in CA the end of this month and i plan to eat all the backyard tomatoes they have :))

1 Like

Alton Brown: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe.html

Thanks for the link, we havent had a tv in almost a decade so ima little slow with the Food Network references. That’s pretty much what I do and the results are always good. I just run 'em under the broiler for good measure (and it improves the appearance.)

Wing night. In the smoker for 2 hrs and finished on the gril to crisp up the skin a little

5 Likes

I haven’t made this in years . tonight its chicken cacciatore . Leg and thigh with the usual tomato base . I will add white wine , small sprig of rosemary and sage , with porcini . With a side of eggplant .

4 Likes

That sounds wonderful emglow

Tonight I made a chicken Massaman curry dish

5 Likes

Madras curry over zoodles. No picture… There’s none left and I didn’t think of it before. : )

2 Likes

First, another thank you to @WeezieD for the peppers. I finally got to cook with some of them this weekend. I’m sharing pics of all the beautiful peppers, below, with the names.

First, I took half the aji amarillos and made an aji amarillo paste, which can be used in Papa a la Huancaina (a Peruvian cheesy cold potato dish) or Aji de Gallina, a spicy-ish chicken stew, among other things. pictured here below is the paste and the Huancaina potatoes. the second batch i made will be used for Aji de Gallina. Both batches turned out deliciously fruity, much better than the jarred stuff i usually buy.

I made some Peruvian chicken, which also marinated in some of the Aji paste, as well as soy, a little brown sugar, lime juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, and the addition of two of the scotch bonnets. turned out great, nice and spicy. Aji verde on the chicken, using serranos i had.

i also added some minced Brazilian starfish peppers to the Esquites (creamy Mexican street corn salad) that accompanied that dinner.

and last, not chili related, i made the BF a bday cake - an almond cake with orange zest inside and out. super moist! an Amanda Hesser recipe, via David Lebovitz. my bday earlier this month was a blur of dinners out and lots of booze, which is only now tapering down, which is why i’m back in the kitchen.

tonight i made pork shoulder in red enchilada sauce rice bowls with the use of my brand new Instant Pot! Added a weezie scotch bonnet to the enchilada sauce, but it could have used another.

I’m planning on pickling a few of these peppers, preserving them as salted chilis, and also sauteing the sweet Turkish ones with some nuremberg sausages i just picked up at TJs later this week.

the peppers:
Peruvian White Habaneros (very hot)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (ditto)
Aji Amarillo (moderate heat, fruity)
Pineapple Aji (moderate heat)
Corbaci Turkish (sweet)
Rainforest (medium heat, sweetness)
Brazilian starfish (variable heat, comparable to a jalapeno)

She also sent me some dried ground pepper packets, ala paprika, and espalette. very excited to use these!

13 Likes

Good lord

1 Like

Oh Maria , Stupendo !

1 Like

Knocking it out of the park Maria

1 Like

A “use-up” dinner…
Two white carrots and one purple carrot were peeled and sliced. GONE.
Half a red bell pepper was chopped. GONE.
Half an onion was chopped. GONE.
A handful of asparagus was chopped. GONE.

^That^ was all sauteed, and when it almost done, I added the rest of some garlic-herb pub cheese (GONE), the rest of some heavy cream and 1% milk (GONE), a sploosh of white wine, some lemon juice, and a handful of dried herbs and garlic powder.

Half a package of gemelli pasta was cooked (GONE), and added to the veggie in pasta sauce. Stirred it all up, put some in a bowl, and topped it with some Parm-Reg.

Dinner. With a glass of wine. And the fervent wish that I get some sleep tonight.

3 Likes

Get some sleep Linda . Maybe more than one glass of wine .:sleeping:

1 Like

You’re getting sleepy

5 Likes

Worked late, again. Still stupid hot and sticky yucky weather. I went with this super quick zero cooking chilled turkish yogurt soup. I used 2% plain greek yogurt and certainly ruined how turkish it was by using fresh basil instead of mint (I don’t like mint in my savory food)
And apparently food 52 thinks this serves four…?? Maybe as a small appetizer with the rich full fat yogurt. Anyhow, it made a good size bowl and was delicious. Will definitely repeat soon!

4 Likes

last night’s tacos - leftover peruvian chicken with aji verde, queso fresco, cilantro, scallions - quite the yum. another batch of the wonderful esquites street corn salad.

Also played around further with the Weezie peppers. Chopped three different kinds up for Hunan salted chilies, and two other kinds were quick-pickled. They’re so purty! and it’s been so fun. I still have the white habaneros left to do something with…

I’m out for happy hour tonight, so i made the BF dinner with the Turkish sweet peppers and nuremberg sausages. Also, potatoes, caramelized onions, whole garlic cloves, and parsley. i forgot to add a splash of sherry vinegar but i tasted it and it was delish as is. i separated a wee bit for myself for when i get home!

7 Likes

I recently used a Umami DryBag to dry age a boneless choice rib loin for 23 days. I had wet aged it for about 40 days prior. Just portioned it out and cooked one steak tonight. I ended up cooking it SV @ 133f for 90 min. Seared it in a cast iron skillet with some butter and pulled out my searzal which I haven’t used in a long time to hit one side while the other was searing in the butter. Sides were a salad with corn and chickpeas and roasted beets with French feta

6 Likes

Looks great Scooby . How was the steak ? Liked what you did . But comparing to bringing home the steak from the butcher and cooking it that evening in CI. Would you do that method again ? I have never had SV cooking . Worth purchasing a SV cooker for myself ? I’m interested .

SV is great for a lot of things but I would have preferred straight up grilled on this steak