What's For Dinner #12- 8/2016. Still looks like summer

A bottle of pinot . Crusty local baguette . A couple of sausages from El Salchichero , rocking out to funky jams . I good to go on a Friday night

4 Likes

Noice.

Winner , winner , scallop dinner .

1 Like

Meet DH for a late dinner last night. We shared a fantastic smoked potato taquito appetizer that was served with a bright tomatillo salsa. Dinner was a shared patty melt with roasted hatch green chilies. And cocktails.

3 Likes

Very fresh meal!

Scoobadoo! What Lingua says
 noice, indeed. As was your scallop lunch, btw.

I did have scallops the day before I left for Tallinn. Gonna find a decent photo of that meal now.

But first, lamb chops. Brushed with some oil in which there was Greek paprika, nothing more. Tasted good and meat was tender. This is my first BBQ in a long time and this is in the summer. The weather has been absolutely abysmal throughout “spring” and “summer”. I normally don’t complain about the weather but it’s summer FFS. I have waited all year for it to arrive!

My commitment to photographic excellence is zero this summer. It’s gone, temporarily. Let’s hope it comes back. The sun came out for exactly 40 seconds whilst I was making this photo.

–
Found the scallop pics. Half was in a risotto but photos didn’t turn out too well. They were all taken in near darkness, the harsh shadows are terrible.

Closer now

5 Likes

I picked up from the FM this morning . King salmon collars that I will put in the smoker . Baby Italian eggplant , I will stuff them with a mixture of bread crumb , anchovy , garlic , parsley , and topped with grated Dutch primadona cheese . New potatoes , steamed , crushed and topped with butter . Watermelon juice . Now I have to think of cocktails to make for this afternoon . The sun is out , to many foggy days: :sun_with_face: And a nice bottle of pinot with dinner . Cheers .

3 Likes

Watermelon Man!

Always liked playing that song . The cocktail looks good to from Berlin .:watermelon: I’m on it .

Very little sleep overnight.
Work.
Nap (on the living room floor with Alfie keeping me company).
Dinner.
That’s the extent of my day.

A really fatty TJ’s pork belly, well seared, and then into the oven with a glaze of orange juice, tangerine preserves, grated fresh ginger and ground ginger.

Toasted Israeli couscous, and steamed green beans. Wine. Hopefully sleep tonight with a late-night chaser of Nytol.

3 Likes

Last night was out with friends at my favorite spanish bar, i love their sangria so i started with that and we shared the delicious crunchy chickpeas i always have to order (both in the photo)
We shared some marcona almonds, patatas bravas, the escalivada, the corn cakes (sardine on the side for the one fish eater) and blistered peppers. And refills of sangria :smile:
I was kinda cranky they didn’t have gazpacho last night, so i made some this morning so it could rest and chill- good tomatoes aren’t so easy to find and are $$$ so i went with this tomatillo gazpacho I really like. I used a crapton more cilantro, three regular cucumbers seeds removed and tossed in an avocado for fun which made it nice and creamy. So that was dinner tonight with a side of seedy crackers

3 Likes

I’m indulging a mad craving for chicken wings tonight. I’ll steam them before putiing them in a very hot oven- and I usually finish in the broiler. Floppy wiggly wings are not allowed in this house! Just Franks and butter for sauce, blue cheese dressing to dip. Carrots and celery on the side (because it’s easy and we’re hot and tired.

The man has been busting his rear on the sportcustom so he gets anything he wants for dessert.

1 Like

What I got from the Turkish butcher yesterday

Nice! Both are. Mild, no strong goaty taste at all.

Liver is horrible to photograph. My solution is to pile stuff on top of it.

2 Likes

Gorgeous figs! And the goat doesn’t look too bad either :wink: We had goat curry today at lunch - a fairly average Indian buffet, but the goat curry was excellent. Some good fish curry and delicious vegetable pakoras in tangy yellow sauce as well.

1 Like

I had figs for dinner yesterday too with creme of balsamic. They are still smallish, not the peak yet. The meal was with grilled sardines. No photos.

Tonight - no cooking. Out to a trattoria pizzeria - great pizzas - in the 2nd district. From the menu, I now know a few more Italian cheese and charcuterie - Taleggio, Pecorino pepato and spianata, n’duja
 yummy

1 Like

Curious - TW, you’re in NYC, correct? Why are good tomatoes hard to come by? (Although I agree about the price, here in the near 'burbs of Boston, they are plentiful but not always cheap at farmers markets [~$5/lb], but they are so worth it and the season is so short
plus the huge ones I buy last for days). The tomatoes in our garden are getting decimated by various wildlife, such as a crazed groundhog/woodchuck that has been caught in the act by several neighbors.

1 Like

Reading magazines, watching a couple of movies, laundry, and napping again was my day

Roasted whole chicken breast, brushed with a mixture of maple syrup, freshly ground pepper, lime juice and lime zest.

A pasta salad consisting of ditalini pasta, fresh corn, frozen peas, chopped red bell pepper, chopped plum tomato and crumbled chevré cheese. Dressing was olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced basil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar. There was some wine.

It’ll make for a decent work lunch for the next couple of days.

1 Like

Sounds similar to the AB recipe. I was pretty impressed by just how crispy they came out.

Yowzah!

A spinoff from last night using a salmon steak instead of the salmon collars . Use 1 tbsp. of cider vinegar , around 2 tbsp. brown sugar . I also added a small amount of maple syrup . Marinate the fish for 40 min and put on the grill or smoker . I’m not one to ever marinate fish but it was like candy .
FM potatoes , steamed and cucumber salad will round out tonight’s dinner .

1 Like