What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Thanks!

Yeah, i kind of figured. I had cooked them for only 2 minutes in the Instant Pot but after 20 minutes in the broth, there was no way they weren’t going to be hard. And i did do that - took out some of the broth and let the eggs sit in it to marinate. next time i’ll try that without precooking them.

1 Like

That looks delicious!

I think “overcooked” is a relative term. For most Indian and southeast asian preps (and doro wat which I recently made), the eggs are cooked to smithereens by western standards, but it’s totally normal for the culture.

Since I’m now pickier (westernized :joy:) about my egg cooking, I boil the egg for only 5-6 mins at first go (so runny/jammy yolk, but able to be peeled), then add it at the very end to the sauce just to warm through and cook to the point I want.

The white doesn’t absorb as much flavor as in the original method, but I think it’s a choice between that and not liking the egg texture.

5 Likes

thanks! and yes, i may agree about texture over egg flavor. If we were eating the eggs on their own, that would be a different story.

1 Like

We’d considered a few options for tonight: one involved going out with friends to try that elk dish I’d been dreaming about – the chef is a fellow musician’s partner, and he was going to ‘treat us well’… but he’s not working today or tomorrow :frowning_face:

It’s also been eons since we’ve had a proper steak meal, i.e. dry-brined overnight Delmonico, salad, and a baked tater with the PSTOSSCAB, but those Delmonicos were frozen. Another thing I’d been craving was my crispy-kronchy-spicy tenders and a salad… but today had other plans.

The chronic pain I’ve been dealing with since last spring, and from which I’d gotten a reprieve of sorts for a few weeks after NYE (while still running from doc to doc in search of a solution) has come back with a vengeance. I popped a tramadol mid-day after only having had some yogurt & berries, and things went downhill from there. I got really nauseous and lightheaded once we got home from shopping, and literally just woke up from a 1 hour nap. Never did well with those damn opiates, even low-dose, and unfortunately it did next to nothing to help with the pain.

And so - no dinner out, and I ain’t cooking. My beloved is going to rub BISO chickie thighs with a Chinese seasoning salt that I believe is mostly salt, MSG & white pepper, and it turns the thighs into absolute umami (salt?) bombs. He’s also making up the rest of the bok choy. We’ll watch the new David Chang epi for entertainment and (sadly) the final episode of Godless.

17 Likes

Another round of Korean black bean noodles from the kit I bought a couple of weeks ago (froze quite well) , Shanghai bok choy, pork and vegetable dumplings, scallions and chili crisp. Delicious but next time I’ll use less of the sauce.

20 Likes

Looks great! And that’s some thicc linguini :smiley:

1 Like

Now that you say that… they def look more like fettuccine to me. But I love them all :wink:

Same :pinched_fingers: :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

Roasted tomato/white bean stew for dinner. Probably not a repeater, but not terrible.
Just kind of flat. Not enough heat or texture. Homemade croutons were really good tho!

18 Likes

:cry::cry::cry:

3 Likes

Remembered to take the fish out today, so I made last night’s planned dinner - Tod Mun Pla as burgers! I followed the Hot Thai Kitchen recipe, but turned them into four burgers instead of 17-19 little apps. I shallow fried the burgers in some oil on medium high for 3-4 minutes a side. The leftovers will be dinner tomorrow. I love these (and they end up a lot less greasy then when we get them at a restaurant)!

25 Likes

So sorry you’re still dealing with that pain. Glad your PIC is there for you though! I need to watch that new Chang program at some point. I just feel like everything I’ve seen from him lately is in service of hawking his Momofuku branded supermarket offerings though.

1 Like

This is really fun, depending on his guests (tonight it’s Seth Rogen and some rando dude I don’t know). I enjoy his humility and willingness to mess up. The meal tonight is CRAY - I’m taking notes and posting later here :slight_smile: where I am mostly talking to myself :joy:

1 Like

These look great! What kind of fish did you use?

That looks very good, do you a recipe or link to share? Thank you!

Lemon oregano chicken thighs,

kuku sabzi (Persian frittata) ,

greens in chicken broth

, beet and apple salad.

19 Likes

That’s very unfortunate, and I’m sorry you’re having trouble managing your pain. I hope you can find something to alleviate it. Oxycodone works best for me (tramadol is too weak, and hydromorphone makes me puke).

Unfortunately, all opiates make me barf without excception - even the tramadol. I can sometimes handle it later at night (when I’m not running around town like an idjit), after a reasonably filling meal. I do have Naproxen, which I took earlier, but it also doesn’t do much.

And throwing painkillers at it is def not the kind of management I want to apply longterm, but until a new MRI is done there’s not much else. PT has done fuckall. I wish someone could just kill that damaged nerve or rip it out or what have you. Meh.

ETA: my PIC’s pain management approach.

Cin cin.

13 Likes

Crispy, salty chickie thighs with the last dredges of green sauce - a Chinese-Peruvian mashup if you will. And that bok choy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Flounder. Any mild white fish works great here!

4 Likes