Dinner Time Live with David Chang on Netflix

Anyone catch the first episode with Rashida Jones and Stephen Yeun that aired Jan 25?

I only found out about it today, and look forward to watching it every Tuesday - just around the time there’s usually some dinner prep going on at casa lingua as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I TOFTT and checked out the first episode, which is available for streaming.

I thought it was entertaining enough, but I like Stephen Yeun and David Chang, and all three seemed to have a nice rapport. He cooked a shit ton of food, though, and managed to absolutely incinerate bread slices for croutons, and ruining MW poached eggs. I found that sympatico, bc we all mess up in the kitchen. His piccata didn’t properly emulsify, either, and the whites of the replacement poached eggs were a bit spoogy for my taste.

It frankly reminded me of many dinners we prepare for our friends, who tend to hang out in the kitchen while shooting the shit with us.

The actual dishes seemed a bit disparate (and again, So. Much. Food!) - a heavy Tuscan-style soup with chicken to start with (!), then a salad with a chicken stock vinaigrette (and moar chicken), then a Dutch baby with the burnt cabbage, the roasted chicken parts, and the piccata sauce on top. Whatttt?

Future viewings might depend on the guests, tho.

Some of us commented about the show on this thread.

When the second epi started today, I was like “is DC only going to prepare eggs & chicken for his guests on this show?” That seemed rather limiting TBH (and I say that as a chicken lover), but then the theme was revealed: Japanese convenience store foods.

He started Paul Scheer and the very funny and extremely pregnant Iliza Schlesinger off with a delectable looking egg salad sammich, along with fantastic fried chicken chonks.

The next course was spicy tuna maki with seaweed chips, another salad. I don’t care much for tuna maki, but it made for a lighter meal than the pilot episode.

The final course was a dashi broth with freshly made udon, braised pork belly & veg & enoki. I don’t care for udon, but I would’ve gladly tried a spoon or two.

The dessert looked eerily similar to the first episode as well: pan-fried donuts that turned out to be a Japanese type of stuffed donut, usually made with red bean paste that DC apparently despises, and therefore filled it with a matcha custard instead. I think matcha tastes like dusty tea leaves, but to each their own.

It’s a nice show to watch while cooking and/or eating.

3 Likes

In any event, our cat seemed to enjoy the first episode far more than the second, for which he didn’t even bother to show up.

4 Likes

Last night was the most entertaining episode so far, but I like Nick Kroll & Mulaney, even though the latter was much funnier before he got sober #hardfacts :wink:

Not sure what the point of an incredibly greasy, rectangular burger on a Hawaiian bun is, especially when they fall apart before making it on the bun (the ones he baked didn’t come out right).

I still appreciate the general vibe of this show, Chang’s humility and willingness to F up, which he is bound to do when his guests are fun & distracting him from the kitchen tasks at hand.

The spray bottle for vinegar to apply to fries or fried fish is rather genius for adding acidity without getting the fried things soggy, and something I’d look into if I ever fried either of those at home.

Overall, that entire meal would send me into a coma or worse (Nick Kroll and I seem to share similar GI issues :rofl:).

I’ll keep watching whenever the guests appeal - even if I appear to be the only one here doing so :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I was watching and enjoying. I left Netflix for Max. I’ll catch up when I get back to Netflix.

1 Like
2 Likes

“Breaks down the almighty burger” sounds about right :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: it was a MESS.

Tonight’s show: Seth Rogen and some dude. The theme was “High-low,” the high part predominantly provided by a GINORMOUS can of what seemed like a metric ton of caviar.

Apparently, the only thing required to lift up mundane dishes is throwing TPSTOC on them. Not that the dishes are mundane by any means. He still creates surprising versions of familiar things, like the fried eggs on top of potato chips, topped with sous vide butter vinegar onions, and MOAR caviar – which was reminiscent of Bauernfrühstück to me (minus the caviar, of course). It looked absolutely, insanely decadent.

That theme continued for most of the show. A few caviar handrolls. A mega-fatty steak, which was also turned into several handrolls……with more caviar. Guess they had to finish that entire can? A Pizza hut personal pan pizza. Gilded with caviar.

And THEN fried chicken. With caviar on top. Bet the previous guests felt a little salty they weren’t part of this extravaganza :open_mouth:

I love how humble and approachable David Chang comes across, and how willing he is to try crazy things, and mess them up. #noregerts

1 Like

Pretty sure the fried chicken with caviar was on the menu at one of his restaurants at some point. It showed up on an episode of Worth It on YouTube.

Side note - fried chicken (pieces, tenders, whatever ya got) + taramasalata = yum! Thank me later.

1 Like

If you skip to 8:30 on the video, its in NYC at Momofuku Noodle Bar.

1 Like

Yeah, he mentioned it was a popular dish at one of his restaurants.

1 Like

If you’re feeling inspired by the last episode: (Click on the 1.8 kg size)

1 Like

I’m happy with my ‘cheapo’ trout roe, TBH, but we were def wondering how much that ginormous jar would go for. I thought it would be in the five figure range… goes to show what I know :wink: