What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Found it!

What you had is spicy chili oil with Sichuan peppercorn.

What you just bought is doubanjiang - spicy Sichuan fermented broad/fava beans with chili and salt. It’s an umami bomb, very savory almost like…solid soy sauce. It usually doesn’t contain Sichuan peppercorn AFAIK.

I wouldn’t consider the two interchangeable as the doubanjiang is way saltier without the numbing. But it should taste good in a marinade. It’s often used in mapo tofu and many other Sichuan stews.

4 Likes

Yeah, I looked at the ingredients in the OG sauce: oil and Sichuan peppercorns, and thought well I have both of those at home. The ‘hot chili sauce’ on the left, however, has Sichuan peppercorns, rapeseed oil, chili powder, sesame seeds, spices. I think that one might be a better addition to the stir-fry, but we’ll find a use for the doubanjiang for sure. Not that I’ll ever make my own mapo - too many places in town that make a killer version.

Thx for the link, I’ll see if I can order it. Still a mystery where/how we got it in the first place :thinking:

1 Like

Afghan-rubbed “lightly smoked” roasted salmon, zhoug, sauteed coriander Brussels with melted and crispy shallots, and leftover brown rice stir-fried and tossed with TJ’s lemon pesto, golden raisins, pistachios, and chopped parsley, and lemon juice. Leftover poppy seed slaw out of picture.

18 Likes

Forgot to take fish out of the freezer for dinner tonight, so we went with household favorite, Soy Sauce Braised Wild Mushroom Noodles. Came together quick and easily!

22 Likes

Looks good! But only 2 Tbsp of armagnac or cognac? :wink:

1 Like

A fridge cleanout, of sorts.

Lettuce, shaved carrots, sliced radishes and cucumber, grape tomatoes, slivered red onion, the rest of the cut up pork (Pinchos Morunos) from last night, crumbled goat cheese, and a combination Penzeys’ Parmesan-Peppercorn dressing. The pork added a really nice overall flavor to the salad.

Wine.

18 Likes

Steak and SK garlic butter roasted mushrooms with capers, lemon juice and parsley plus a sprinkle of Red Boat. So good! Green veg never made it out of the fridge - tomorrow!!

22 Likes

Parsley. You’re good. :smile:

7 Likes

The verdict: we couldn’t taste much of a difference between any of the three different har gow. They were all full of shrimpy deliciousness, and had we done a blind test, I don’t think we could’ve said which was which. Win/win, especially since the ‘royal’ kind are twice as much as the plebeian har gow :smiley:

Bok choy was good, if not exactly how I love it.

16 Likes

Let your conscience be your guide!

NYT’s Longevity Noodles (gift link) with stir-fried chicken thighs, ginger, scallions, mushrooms, and cabbage. A household favorite. I use spaghetti. Tonight I went light on the noodz, but heavy on the chicken and veg. Served with homemade chili crisp.

23 Likes

Angel hair and sautéed mushrooms with rosemary, lemon, garlic, butter and sour cream.

6 Likes

Roasted cauliflower and caramelized onion tart for dinner tonight.

I love roasted cauliflower and I love caramelized onions, so this was not not going to be delicious!

Arugula salad on the side.

23 Likes

My soon-to-be 80-year old mother – the same mother who shamed me for wanting to be a vegetarian in the '90s – is now shaming ME for not eating enough plant-based meals :laughing:
I had a look through the Moosewood Cookbook for old times sake and just made a big pan of their mushroom moussaka. Yummy and will feed me for several days. No pic cuz it was messy but here’s a close variant of the recipe: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mushroom-Moussaka/

15 Likes

Cobb salad, ranch dressing. I forgot the blue cheese, I knew there was something missing. :disappointed:

22 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was roasted yellow and orange peppers with a sploosh of balsamic vinegar then followed by linguine with leeks and scallops in a white sauce.

15 Likes

Borscht! With two enormous beets, a small daikon and half a carrot.

17 Likes

Linguine and drop meatballs, nyt’s recipe, comes together quickly and always delivers.

24 Likes

Salmon, from my neighbors who used to be commercial fishers.

Sous-vide, then a quick sear, with lentils and a Meyer lemon dijonaise.

23 Likes

Yum!

1 Like