What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

(bows down before the sheer effort represented on that plate)

Kudos! Did you make the injera too or do you have a source nearby (in which case lucky you!)

You might enjoy Feb’s COTM — Ethiopia (thread not up yet, tomorrow)

5 Likes

I have made it but *&$% that is too much work for me! It was a 7 DAY process.
The Injera pictured is purchased. I live with in striking distance of Oakland so when in Town I stock up on South Asian and Ethiopian Stuff. I usually buy 10 pieces of Injera wrap and freeze.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s impressive! I don’t like injera at all, much to my PIC’s lament, but I certainly admire the effort & dedication!

Oh nice! I didn’t even see we were twinning until now. We bought considerably more. 2.5-3 sopkit crabs at Costco. $26ish.

1 Like

I hear a lot of Folks say they do not like Injera. Is it textural or Flavor?
I am from DC and started eating Ethiopian Food when I was very young.
I find the the Tang it provides an important Foil to the spice and richness of the Food.

4 Likes

Y’know, it happens, and it’s fine. Lack of energy is a sign to be kind to yourself and rest up.

You have a high bar for your cooking at home from what you post here, maybe go easy on yourself for a while and stick with the simpler preps vs cooking that needs attention?

Arctic char is my old roommate’s favorite fish, she treats it exactly like salmon. Favorite prep? Salt, pepper, broil or roast, finish with lemon. No effort + delicious. (For a kick, coat with mustard or wasabi or harissa first, straight or mixed with a bit of mayo.)

2 Likes

I still haven’t located ready injera near me, though I’m sure it exists somewhere. (My plan is to “fake” the injera for COTM with set dosa or similar crepes :joy:)

As a German I’m pretty specific about my breads. The spongy texture and sour flavor are both off-putting to me.

And it’s probably barbaric of me to indulge readily in the spicy rich food minus the floppy pancake, but hey - more for my dining companion(s) :upside_down_face:

Set Dosa is a very similar texture for sure.
If you subbed in some Teff(or even some Ragi), increased the ferment Time, made them Plate sized and cooked on only one Side, covered, you may have a reasonable Facsimile! :grinning:
I think it could actually work!

I hear you.
Some of Breads I have had in Germany have a good amount of tang but spongy, nope.

7 Likes

Aw, man. Yer making me miss the homeland something fierce! I could live on German bread & cheese for the rest of my days :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

:joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Not at all!

2 Likes

Glad I saw this - a reminder to revive my teff starter for the coming month. Just fed her. Once you have a starter going, the injera doesn’t take as long.

3 Likes

You guessed my whole “secret” plan :grin: — nachni / ragi maybe cut with some jowar / sorghum.

1 Like

As long as there was a Schweinshaxe and a couple of Wurst mixed in here and there, oh and BEER!

2 Likes

Is Jowar sweet at all? I have never used it.

And here comes Mel to make the rest of us look like chumps with her real-real injera :smiley:

Excited for COTM @MelMM !

2 Likes

It’s very mild — for eg sorghum / jowar is frequently used for GF bread, and you wouldn’t be able to tell.

1 Like

Too much for me with it fairy available ready made.

One of the reasons for the Whole Foods trip — which yielded all the impulse seafood buys I’ve been eating my way through the last few days — was pork shoulder on sale. The nice guy at the counter acquiesced to my request of cutting me a teeny tiny ~1lb roast from the gigantors they had in the case.

Between the competing siren songs of @GretchenS’s Porchetta and @vinouspleasure’s Bo Ssam (thanks for both the temptation and the inspiration, folks :joy:), I went with the former for this turn.

Made the spice mix, butterflied the pork (woo hoo, look who got fancy!), slathered it on good and thick, rolled it up, and (more fancy) tied it up.

A day later, baked low and slow, then blasted the heat at the end to get the scored (even more fancy) fat cap a bit crisp and nicely brown.

I snacked on a bit of it as my appetizer before LEAVING it behind for a spontaneous dinner with a friend in town just for the evening :woman_facepalming:t2:.

Friend >>> Porchetta is the correct prioritizing I think? :joy::rofl:

Now to make some polenta and something green to round it out for dinner soon.

25 Likes