What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Our family is getting together on December 2 to celebrate Thanksgiving. It is the only day all of us could manage to get together.
However, one of my granddaughters decided to cook her very first Thanksgiving meal for herself and her boyfriend. She even spatchcocked the small turkey. She said she was most surprised that the gravy and the green beans were the tastiest of the dishes she made. I am so proud of her. The meal looks lovely to me.

27 Likes

Might this be the recipe you’re looking for with the coffee poached pears? Big Oven’s site says it’s from Food & Wine.

It could be, @LindaWhit. I just saw the mention of it and my mouth started watering. So am hoping to find out. Thank you for your kind help in my search.

1 Like

I will post the pear cranberry sauce recipe later today when we get home. Ive been making this for a gazillion years! Even people who dont like cranberry sauce like this… :yum:

3 Likes

We split a bone in pork chop, started stove top in cast iron, flipped and finished in the oven. Served with acorn squash baked with butter, salt and pepper. And wine. Very nice, perfect cook on the chop.
No pictures worthy of posting.
Back to work tomorrow… :unamused:

12 Likes

Tonight’s dinner, and tomorrow’s dinner (:joy:), from Congee Chan in London, Ontario

18 Likes

Way to make me hungry!

(So relieved I’m coincidentally also having Chinese in a bit or I’d be craving your dinner no matter what or how much I ate tonight :joy:)

5 Likes

Practice went smashingly, thanks to the incredibly talented, gracious & kind drummer we get to ‘borrow’ on occasion, and I’m really excited to play a bunch of new tunes Thursday :slight_smile:

The stew came out really well - creamy potatoes, tender beans, hearty kale…my only complaint would be that TJ’s hot Italian sausages are much hotter than Aldi’s, but this dish doesn’t require crazy heat anyway. Good to know for future reference.

My keyboarder went home with two large containers and a smaller one plus a dessert platter gathered from leftover Turkey Day Treatz - and there was enough for a hearty meal for the two of us tonight plus leftovers.

17 Likes

Great minds :joy:

Haha, but can’t claim credit — friend’s kid is going back to college tomorrow and that’s what he picked as his “last meal” :joy: (I’m fully supportive of his choice, clearly!)

3 Likes

Sunday night was Chinese food downtown when I was growing up. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dinner tonight was a rainbow trout fillet, wild rice blend and a Greek salad. I had intended on having just the fish and salad but after waiting 45 minutes for the bus in the cold after an afternoon of grocery shopping I wanted something warm. Brownie points for actuality finding my dinner on a really cluttered kitchen counter :slight_smile:

22 Likes

After grilled turkey sandwiches for the last three nights, tonight’s cabbage stir-fry was a welcome change.

Bon Appetite’s Better Than Take-out Noodles, with the addition of carrots. The recipe calls for Udon noodles, but I use spaghetti.

Cabbage, carrots and scallions from our fall garden surplus.

21 Likes

I guess pasta has become my Sunday supper go to. Chile Crisp Fettuccine Alfredo with Spinach, I used square spaghetti as I had no fettuccine and added shrimp. Little gem salad with caesar dressing and croutons. Beefeater rocks and wine.

23 Likes

Tonight was leftoverpalooza after a big pizza lunch. No pics.

10 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Jasper Stone in Monroe Township, NJ, including an excellent charcuterie board; lobster ceviche with Coconut Milk, Ginger, Aji, Dulce & Black Mint; pork chops with cherry peppers, long hots, and cipollini onions; Misoyaki Butterfish
with Glazed Black Cod, Crispy Rice, Baby Bok Choy, Ginger & Yuzu; and creamed spinach. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend.

13 Likes

Here’s the recipe for the Cranberry Pear Sauce: it came from 2009 San Francisco Chronicle Food Section! I have made it pretty much every year since… People who dont like cranberry sauce like this (my husband is one of them!)

Serves 8 (makes about 3 cups)

"This cranberry sauce is fairly tart, which is nice with the rest of the meal, but if you like a sweeter cranberry sauce, add another 1/2 cup of white or brown sugar.

2 tsp canola or vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
2 pears, preferably Bartlett, peeled, cored & cut into 1/4" dice (I use D’anjou)
Pinch of salt (I use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I think I use 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I think I use 1/3 cup not packed
1/2 cup cider vinegar (used red wine vinegar)
1 cinnamon stick broken in half
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
12 oz fresh cranberries (mine were frozen)

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the pears & salt & cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until they begin to soften, 4-5 min. Stir in the sugars, vinegar, cinnamon stick & ginger & bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 min stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.

Add the cranberries & cook over moderate heat until the cranberries have fully cooked & thickened, 15-20 min, crushing them against the sides of the pan. Transfer to a bowl, remove the cinnamon stick & let cool before serving.

Enjoy!!!

8 Likes

I just posted the recipe, hope you can find it…

2 Likes

After a late night skunking, no tomato juice in the house, turned to Google and found the wonder of an apple cider vinegar/baking soda combo. It worked like a charm……twice. Now keep a liter of the vinegar and a large box of baking soda on hand. Don’t recall the proportions, but readily available online.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting! I am figuring the pears will need to be firm-ripe to begin with? The SF food columns were something I looked forward to reading bitd when I lived in the BA and took the Chron. In my purging of recipes over the last three years, I came across many Chron recipes. Most, I did discard.
Looking forward to making this. I was also thinking of putting out lingonberry jam for the next turkey occasion. I have a jar in the fridge that needs to get used up and we don’t use it that often anymore.

4 Likes