What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

I keep eyeing those :joy:

1 Like

Second time purchase for me. They aren’t bad. You were right that the b&b is too sweet.

1 Like

Tomato juice is a disaster - that’s what we tried the first time with our black tri Aussie - 55 lbs. with a thick white chest. The amount of tomato juice cost a shitload of money and stained her chest a deep pink that lasted for weeks LOL. She just kept licking it and licking it when we got her in the bathtub to massage the stuff into her coat. Then treated us with unrelenting diarrhea for about 24 hours. Never-ending side effects…

7 Likes

I was ravenous tonight, I must have worked too hard today. Leftover turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce. I added mashed potatoes with sour cream and green onion, spinach salad with red onion, mushrooms, blue cheese, mustard honey dressing. My riff on a High and Dry and wine.

22 Likes

What I wanted to eat: @LindaWhit’s picture-perfect personal thanksgiving meal repeat. Thwarted by cold (and laziness — not going back out today, tomorrow is going to be much warmer :joy:).

What I ate instead: freezer dive chicken seekh kabab and naan with labneh, toum, and chilli paste.

What I also ate: “trimmings” of two more pieces of salmon I had started curing before I left, and I was worried was over-cured by a day or two, but is actually perfect). I may have “trimmed” a bit extra… :roll_eyes::yum:

22 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ. I was one of only two men in the jam packed restaurant, full of young loud women. It seems that the theater up the block had a live performance of the ‘Thunder down under’, an Aussie version of Chippendales :grinning: I knew I should have brought my thong bikini with me :joy:
We enjoyed crispy deep fried lobster; pork osso bucco; soy glazed grouper; burrata with chorizo vinaigrette; cacio e pepe shoestring fries. It all went great with an excellent red blend and cabernet.

19 Likes

Casa lingua’s turn to host our weekly poker game, which happened to be a couples event. We fed the gang with Deetroit apizz (garlick dill pickle, triple threat, pepperoni) - reliably delicious as ever.

The ladies started strong and faded early. I seem to recall a time not too long ago when we played until well after midnight.

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a pork lo mein.

15 Likes

This year Thanksgiving was during a short trip to Santa Barbara and so it was necessary to find a restaurant which was actually open on Turkey Day and served some decent food. On previous Thanksgiving trips that was often quite a problem as most Thanksgiving menus are quite disappointing. We were quite hopeful when we saw that Black Sheep Restaurant https://blacksheepsb.com/ (which is on our list for sometime) was open on that day and offered an interesting family style dinner. And we weren’t disappointed - really good dinner with multiple appetizers and entrees, all of them perfectly executed, creative (scallops paired so nicely with celery root).
One of the best Thanksgiving dinners in a long time - We will definitely be back on our next trip to dive into their regular menu.

Amuse Bouche: Buttercup Squash Soup Shooter, vanilla bean, pie spice, coconut, apples

Appetizer 1: Diver Scallop Crudo, celery root, pickled fennel, meyer lemon

Appetizer 2: Salt Roasted Beets, horseradish yogurt, hazelnuts, cocoa nibs

Appetizer 3: Butter Gem & Endive Salad, dates, pepitas, cara cara, fromage blanc, banyuls dressing

Entree 1: Pan Seared Red Ocean Trout, beluga lentils, broccolini, ceci miso-garlic dressing

Entree 2: Mary’s Organic Sonoma Tom Turkey, sourdough stuffing, mashed yukons, haricot verts, cranberry compote, applejack giblet gravy

Entree 3: Delicata Squash Risotto, baby autumn vegetables

Dessert 1: Warm House Made Pumpkin Pie, vanilla bean chantilly

Dessert 2: Poached Pear, oat milk gelato, lavendar jus

18 Likes

What a feast! And always nice to have someone else do the cooking & cleanup :wink:

2 Likes

A cold, blustery Sunday triggered a random hankering for our local Pakistani’s fabulous keema karahi – their version using ground lamb & generous amounts of ginger, garlic, and spiked with that comforting warmth only the unabashed use of chili peppers can create – seemed like the perfect meal after a late afternoon band practice for our upcoming shows this month…. but alas, they’re closed today. SADZ :sob:

I pivoted to preparing another barter meal for our cat sitter / my keyboarder: white bean, sausage, kale & potato stew. I used both hot and mild Italian sausages from Aldi that I sautéed after melting a few anchovy filets in Turkish olive oil, then cut them up and sautéed some more until nicely browned.

Added a sliced onion and a buncha crushed garlic, fennel seeds, Aleppo pepper, dried marjoram to the pot, then a splash of a white Bordeaux that we didn’t like to cool things down a bit (a great remedy for many occasions).

Added the snossidge nugz back in, 2 more cups of that lame white, 3 cups o’ water and an appropriate amount of BTB chicken, a handful of halved baby yellow potatoes, and TPSTOK(ale). Great Northern beans, fresh parsley & finally a generous amount of cream will join the party a little later.

Casa Lingua already smells fantastic & I’m really looking forward to dinner :smiling_face: Off to finally finish a book I started in HI if I can sit down for long.

12 Likes

You hit the jackpot - that all looks delectable!

1 Like

I have looked over and over for the past hour or so and cannot locate a post I am sure I saw. I am finally giving up on locating that post.

Someone posted that they made a pear cranberry sauce. I sure would love to have the recipe for that. We love pears and we love cranberries, but I have no idea how to combine them into a great sauce. Sure hoping someone can help me. I think I recall asw in the name, but am not sure about that.

5 Likes

And earplugs? I always have a pair or to dim the din when out.

1 Like

Nov 2020 , poster mq7070?

This?

I think it was @rwcfoodie /Karen who mentioned it in this thread. Maybe she could post the recipe?

2 Likes

Yes, that is it. I was beginning to believe I had dreamed it. Thank you so much.
@mq7070, would you mind sharing your recipe for the pear and cramberry sauce, please.

1 Like

Their last post on HO was on Oct. 5, 2021, so they might not be here anymore.

Thank you, @LindaWhit.
@rwcfoodie, would you please post your recipe for the pear and cranberry sauce. TIA.

2 Likes