What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

We’ve been at this since September 24th, 2015. I had joined HO just a day earlier and needed my WFD fix, created the thread, and off we went. And just over eight years later, we’ve made it to our 100th WFD thread!

There has been:

Lots of subject lines.
Lots of food pictures.
Lots of recipes.
Lots of discussions.
Lots of stories.
Lots of tangents.
Lots of pet pictures. (Hey - they need to eat, too! Plus, they’re just cute.)

Most of all, there’s been a lot of camaraderie in virtually sharing our meals, so let’s see what’s on the table for all of us this month!

28 Likes

What are your cats doing today?? How about a pic??

Will have to wait until I get home from work tonight.

But last night, they were in the midst of an after-dinner Halloween Night Zoomies tussle, and were beating the crap out of each other. I stopped it (they were in the dining room), and went back into the living room. Finnegan came out to the living room - stood there staring at me for about 5 seconds, (he was probably still in Zoomies mentality mode and had spaced out) and then he attacked me! (First time he’s ever deliberately done that! :scream_cat: ) He snagged my upper arm and my ankle, the little cattorist! So he was on my Bad Kitty List for the rest of the night. Of course, he snuggled up to me when I climbed into bed. :expressionless: :smiley_cat:

11 Likes

Happy centenary WFD and many thanks to it’s birth mother for keeping it alive.

12 Likes

I made Impossible patty melts and homemade tomato soup. Nice on a chilly day.

25 Likes

No pics. BF is out with coworkers, so I got a steak sandwich delivered - rib eye paillard on ciabatta with Gorgonzola and sauteed mushrooms and onions. Hit the spot!

13 Likes

Braised some beef shanks the other day, tonight I served it with some roasted garlic mashed and Parmesan broccoli and tomatoes.

These were cut kinda thin, next time I’ll custom order them from the butcher. Very tasty and rich.

Also some delicious butter tarts from a newly opened bakery in the neighborhood.

26 Likes

@LindaWhit (and everyone) Thank you for keeping this going!

It was the thread I’d lurk on when I first joined HO; it took me a while to dive in, but everyone was so welcoming that it was easy to stick around!

Grateful for this group and its camaraderie.

18 Likes

tonight, a riff on Ottolenghi’s delicious sumac chicken from his first book, using a bit of the lovely malvani masala i got from somebody recently instead of the sweet spices. It was good! with rice and some fava beans with skins boiled and dressed with oil lemon garlic and mint. The beans were good but not as good as the ones i had in erice in 2017 (I think). fiber content excellent.

21 Likes

LOVE sumac chicken! (Creative use of the malvani masala!)

1 Like

oops I forgot the zataar. never mind. the sliced lemon in the recipe has never worked for me because the bitter pith imparts a flavor…I tried grating lemon peel into the marinade for while but I have settled for adding some lemon juice in the oven…I have no idea why the recipe includes some water - dont use - since I always have to boil down the liquid at the end. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/17/french-bean-salad-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi-roast-chicken-sumac-zaatar-plum-muffin-seafood-salad

4 Likes

100 WFDs! Thanks for keeping it all going, @LindaWhit!

A crunchy throat this morning and continuing congestion since last week had me cancel ladies night (well, the gals are still getting together, mais sans moi) & craving tom yum or tom kha goong. Since the Thai food in town is decidedly mediocre/unreliable for the most part, I decided to make it myself.

Had to hit several Asian grocers until I found galangal, but now have some in the freezer for future use (also lemongrass stalks and a STOTBP = Thai bird peppers).

I pretty much followed this recipe for tom yum & then just added a can of coconut milk at the end, et voilá: tom kha. Black tiger shrimp & shrooms for floaty things. Came out quite well for a first. Coulda been spicier, but biting into a few floating pieces of pepper DEF remedied that :hot_face:

23 Likes

Kind of a wacky dinner tonight. He asked for a squash casserole. Done. A trip to Aldi yesterday piqued my interest… So crab cakes with homemade tartar sauce and pork egg rolls with my grape jam/horseradish sweet and sour in a pinch. A little bit of Chinese hot mustard.

20 Likes

Filet of Wagyu beef on the grill. Sauteed spinach. Leftover potato-apple gratin.

A Hennessy’s VSOP for dessert.

26 Likes

Take-out plantain, and spaetzle with beef strips, shiitake mushrooms, eggplant and blue cheese

19 Likes

How did you like the crab cakes? Are those MD style or the other kind?

I’ll get back to you on the other thread one of these days.

3 Likes

“Strange flavor” chicken using a leftover roast chicken breast, with broccolini and rice.

25 Likes

14 Likes

Happy 100th month! To celebrate, I made three courses, instead of my usual one or at the most two.

1. Clams!

clams

1. Spinach salad with roasted maitakes and boiled egg.

salad

1. Swordfish with sweet and hot peppers (the hot pepper is balcony-grown, and I was glad to make use of it before everything freezes out there).

fish

28 Likes