What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

I feel your pain on the skunking. We live with 2 Australian Shepherds. They have long double coats from hell. We have a formula that mixes Dawn blue dish detergent, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I can look up the details for you if you want. It really works.

5 Likes

Ditto “Go Bucks”! We’re both Ohio State alums and my mother lives just across the river from the OSU stadium - I can go out on her deck and hear the crowd roar. They have a high fever there whenever there’s a home game. It’s crazy.

3 Likes

Dal with mustard greens from the balcony - they are hardy! - chopped red pepper and sour cream. Celery with blue cheese dressing, which we have about a gallon of. You’d think by now I could scale a damn recipe. And the last of the Beaujolais Nouveau. I remember when it was like $7/bottle! Times have changed.

19 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Stayed on an extra day with my friends. Dinner tonight was roast chicken, hash brown casserole (NYT recipe, like a lazy person’s scalloped potatoes except that my friend made bechamel instead of using the cream of chicken soup called for), and steamed broccoli.

Such a delicious meal (and again, I sat chatting with them and nibbling on duck rillettes and Humboldt fog crostini while she puttered and put the meal together).

Dessert was the brown butter cocoa brownies I baked and brought with me.

Gratuitous pretty sunset pic.

22 Likes

Those sprouts. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My leftovers masterpiece. 100% fridge dive with the exception of the bread. Turkey which I pulled/shredded, provolone, bacon, tomato, about five pounds of cracked pepper, and a marvelous cranberry aioli made with leftover cranberry sauce, mayo, Dijon mustard, and garlic. Highlight of the meal. BF ate his leftovers as a traditional dinner plate.

And to snack on while cooking: Leftover mashed potatoes suck. So turn them into pancakes by mixing in shredded cheese, flour, scallions, garlic and onion powders, and an egg. Then fry in a little bit of oil until crisp. 15 minutes start to finish if you’re in a rush, though forming them is easier when the batter is chilled.

Martini followed by a martini.

22 Likes

I have that same problem :slight_smile: I make a little for a wedge salad then have enough dressing left for another salad or two or dips.

Today’s the birthday of the wife of the couple I’m staying with and I told her I would make any sweets I could make for her in her tiny, sparse kitchen (one dilapidated IH burner and a toaster oven we went halves on because she didn’t have nor much want one).

However, rather than sweets, she requested my ever popular (in Japan, that is!) tuna noodle casserole! She’s never had it, but has heard me tell her about how my friends rave about it.

So I made 2 (the second one has the Parmesan cheese on the top of the white sauce, which is why it looks different). The three of us finished both BIG dishes of it (and I froze 3 smaller dishes for her).

I also made a salad with mustard-lemon vinaigrette (I substitute lemon juice for the vinegar) and marron glacé muffins for dessert (didn’t take photos of the salad nor dessert).

She and her husband really liked the meal as well as the apple cidre I bought for her). Cooking and cleaning up after in a tiny kitchen is quite tiring!

25 Likes

I have the existential terror, innate in my culture, that SOMEONE MIGHT BE HUNGRY unless I make way too much food. No amount of math or logic can overcome it.

6 Likes

Not having hosted The Big Feast ourselves there wasn’t much in terms of leftovers, and we felt like going out for a drink & nibbles. The gay bar delivered with a wonderful autumn salad (bibb, endive, green beans, grapes, toasted pumpkin seeds, Amish blue cheese dressing) and a plate of tagliatelle with local shrooms (oyster, maitake, shiitake) in a parmesan sauce. Pasta was a teeny bit past al dente, but the shrooms were abundant.

I also got to try a new-to-me gin, Isle of Harris, which made for a delectable martini. Or two.

17 Likes

I use Ivory liquid (less irritating on the skin) in mine and have a few 2L bottles made up ahead of time, just in case. I made sure to vent off the gas before bottling. You never know when you’ll need it and it works on humans, the leashes and (the unfortunate) car upholstery and laundry. I keep those disposable wiping towels with the bottles and a 2-1/2 gallon bottle of distilled water (for the rinse) with it, too in a plastic crate. Skunk kit. BTW, it will work on the cats, but I would advise a set of long gauntlets. Been there.

5 Likes

My personal Thanksgiving.

Scooby Snacks of Manchego, membrillo/quince paste, and Marcona almonds, dried apricots, grapes, proscuitto, and creamy Havarti on Triscuit crackers.

Dinner was roasted turkey breast, gravy, mashed sour creamy potatoes, glazed carrots, buttered green beans and cranberry-orange relish.

Wine was Stag’s Leap Cellars Karia Chardonnay. Dessert will be the last slice of the apple pie I made for Thanksgiving.

26 Likes

I only had that happen once, to our doxipoo. I can’t remember what remedy we used but it was probably tomato juice which was popular at the time. Did it work? I don’t remember. Now porcupines, oh, let’s not go there.

2 Likes

Non turkey meal tonight, WF crab cakes and shrimp & scallop cakes with a Louie sauce.
Frisse salad and heirloom tomatoes. baguette and butter.
Tomatoes were not that good but we enjoyed the rest. Along with some wine and chocolates.

19 Likes

The best remedy for porky-piney quills is: a good soak (if you can) in epsom salts or warm compresses with epsom salts. In case of a pet’s face, sedation may be necessary.

2 Likes

Kahlua pork spring rolls, cucumber-avocado salad with sesame dressing, edamame, and brown rice with TJ’s beef and broccoli.

23 Likes

Ribeye, perogies and beets

18 Likes

Nice looking steak!

1 Like

Thank you! Fried in butter :joy:

2 Likes