What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

I hated cooked spinach when I was a kid no thanks to my mom who used to boil the life out of it so it developed a bitter taste and slimy texture. For some reason it never occurred to me to try eating it raw. A few months after my mom died my sisters and I made a day trip to Montreal to visit dad and to take him out for lunch. When I ordered a salad of mixed greens the table fell silent and one of the sisters pointed out “there is spinach in that!”. I told her I didn’t care I wanted to try it anyway. That was the day I discovered that raw spinach tastes good. I still don’t like cooked spinach though.

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was coconut braised basa fillet with bok choy.

14 Likes

Maybe the extra ñ :wink:

I love sautéed spinach when it’s bright green & garlicky, but just beyond the raw stage that tends to set my teeth on edge. Much as I’d love to like raw spinach salad I can’t deal with the furry teeth :confused:

2 Likes

Looking good! Both the dinner and the job offers. :grin:

2 Likes

Congrats on the job offers. Choice is good.

3 Likes

Just the two of us last night so easy roasted tomato/poblano soup and toast + smoked salmon for me, grilled cheese for spouse

23 Likes

I used Mark Bittman’s recipe and stirred it with a whisk, because I like failing, I guess. And it’s not like I don’t have an immersion blender.

Starting with mayo is a much better idea.

imageimage

8 Likes

This is my go to recipe when starting with mayo (which is usually).

3 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ll probably just add some mayo to my leftover watery-ass dressing.

How did you like the brussels sprout recipe?

Big fan! I posted that pic elsewhere, which inspired two people to make the recipe and report back that they loved it.

3 Likes

I’m going to grab some sprouts when I next go shopping then. They look great.

Be my third report-back-er!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was crispy Buffalo wings and crinkle cut fries with my my secret sauce for dipping.
Tonight was a last minute fridge and freezer scrounge, was planning on going to go out for ramen at a new restaurant but crappy weather put that on the back burner.
Shrimp/rice/broccoli/giardiniera/diced tomatoes /fresh and roasted garlic/Parm Regg.

24 Likes

I’d had been braising Osso Buco very slowly today, at 200 ⁰F. Internal temp was around 145 and I wanted to cook it slowing until it reached 180ish so the meat would be tender and the cartilage and whatnot would melt into the sauce.

I decided to turn the oven down to 175 ⁰F while I went out to get a booster.

I got back 90 minutes later, and it was a pretty much the same temp it had been when I left, which meant I had to turn up the heat higher than I’d like to get it to the right temp. Lol. Live and learn.

The parsnip gratin and mamaliga aren’t too pretty tonight. Lol. No photo.

17 Likes

And if you can’t make it to the restaurant, there is always their new cookbook.

My decidedly fabulous library already has it on order.

2 Likes

Mediocre tacos from the taco truck across from our hotel, following the glowing praises of our Lyft driver. So much for getting dining advice from cabbies/locals bahahaha.

Ended up hanging at the very good hotel bar (cuz it’s not technically a hotel bar) Pint n Jigger with a scotch selection that’ll make any scotch lover swoon, a very good cocktail menu and 19 draft beers, most of which are, unfortunately, IPAs & pale ales :nauseated_face:

I had to get the “The Floor is Guava” for the name alone, but it was also a fantastic rendition of a crisp sour. We shared the seafood cakes with tobiko vinaigrette and caper sauce. Very, very good.

A “Catch Her in the Rye” was a lovely twist on a whiskey sour, the martini with a new-to-me Japanese gin was just so-so - the gin tasted far more interesting neat.

18 Likes

Tonight eggplant with ginger garlic sauce w/ jasmine rice, also roasted honeynut squash with harissa and olive oil

21 Likes