What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Nice sandwich! As for your plate… don’t put it in the dishwasher if you want it to last and certainly no microwaving! Additionally, be aware of melamine dining ware leaching undesirable chemicals into your food. There are studies out there to check out: jamanetwork.com search ‘melamine’. All of our melamine ware is used for non acid, cold or room temperature use. We found this out after the kids used their Disney character ware for years. Back in the day, I bought melamine kids ware from the Betty Crocker boxtop catalogs. Like lead glazes in pottery and china ware, ya gotta be aware.

2 Likes

Dark chocolate chip pancakes, chantilly cream and powdered sugar

5 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I knew not to microwave but we do put through the dishwasher. Generally these are used for sandwiches, cold foods. But what is it about the dishwasher - do you mean it just leads to general breakdown of the polymer, which might permit more leaching once it is again in contact with foodstuffs?

The first hit on JAMA/Melamine was a newly released study where participants’ melamine levels spiked after eating hot noodle soup served in a melamine bowl, much higher levels than those of the control group who ate from ceramic bowls tested to be melamine free.

It was a very small study (6 people per arm) and I don’t have a good reason why the ceramic bowl users had any detectable melamine levels. Both groups were instructed to not use melamine products for 3 weeks prior to the study. I guess I’ll have to dig deeper to see if there is considerable other melamine environmental contamination such that the results from the control group represent what amounts to a persistent “background” amount.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Leftover miso soup with a poached egg added in plus leftover roasted broccoli with chili paste with garlic added to boost flavor. Busy day juggling work and prepping dinner that I signed up to make for a neighbor as part of a meal train (terminal illness in the family). Ham and bean soup, KA rolls seen on the baking thread, sauteed broccoli with garlic and red pepper flakes, and some sort of cookies, TBD. Starting a new choral piece tonight so should be an interesting and perhaps frustrating evening of singing.

Breakfast 3 1 23
Add images here

9 Likes

Welsh cakes, 2 so far .

6 Likes

Leftovers de jour.

Last night’s extra Tonkatsu pork chop with Japanese-style ketchupy thing. Spuds from Thursday’s halibut-on-potato-rafts. Scallion scramble.

9 Likes

A truely creative use for leftovers!

1 Like

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 12.03.32 PM

3 Likes

Hold-overs from last night: crepes with smoked trout. I ate two of these delicious roll-ups, along with a couple of soft-boiled eggs.

18 Likes

Can I give 10 forks+?

6 Likes

7 Likes

Ham and gruyere on yesterday’s baguette, toasted and warmed, with a little mayo and a coarse Dijon. Greens in vinaigrette. Hard boiled egg.

10 Likes

Tacos. (Scrambled eggs, frijoles de olla, cheese, pickled radish, salsa verde)

12 Likes

Heaven on a plate…

1 Like

You sure keep us guessing!

Cappuccino and two cinnamon raspberry rolls with cream. Could’ve done without the cream …

1 Like

Today: 2 slices of whole grain bread with seeds and 1/4 avocado, natto w/ wasabi & soy, blackberries w/Indian style yogurt all preceded by a glass of water w/1 tablespoon vinegar. Most days the toast is replaced by rolled oats cooked with extra water so they come out congee-like, flavored with soy, dried shrimp, green onion, or chili oil.

Funny note on the vinegar. We have quite a collection with 20+ total. One member is a sherry vinegar from restaurant depot. It sucks in general. Mostly red wine vinegar with some sherry vinegar tossed in. I only use it to pickle red onions. But the other day we used it in our vinegar water and it made the best vinegar water yet! Strange!

3 Likes

If this was made with lox, it’d be a LEO. But it’s made with smoked trout, so it’s a STEO.

7 Likes

Dutch Apple Pancake

8 Likes

Take-out Benny

7 Likes