What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

this was a recent brunch - we are trying out koshihikari rice and enjoying it leftover too.

9 Likes

Thanks for this new-to-me word for half-cooked or ramen eggs.

1 Like

Playing around with a sourdough discard biscuit recipe, and a pack of Nathan’s hot dogs.

Where I went to grade school, these were called Weiner Winks or Pronto Pups.

9 Likes

A panino with rosemary ham, raclette, and wonderful local ‘farmhouse’ bread (rye/wheat/sourdough).

I was so hungry I ate it all before I could take a pic. Oops!

3 Likes

Eggs Blackstone with (overcooked :rofl:) Hollandaise

8 Likes

my pal calls em winky dinky dogs !

2 Likes

My Daughter’s latest iteration in her avocado toast project. For now, her optimum toppings are Maldon salt, garlic powder, black pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Way better than the Carnation’s instant breakfasts I was having at her age.

13 Likes

I love this!!
How old is your daughter? What are some of her other notable avo toast project creations?

1 Like

She’s 14. From what I can gather (as is somewhat typical for a teenager; she can be rather tight-lipped), her experiments are centered on the consistency of the avocado (sliced vs. mashed), spiciness of toppings (she’s concluded that paprika, furikake, or chile flakes add visual appeal, but add little to the taste for her) and what type of bread is available.

5 Likes

I remember becoming my own person. I know I frustrated my mother, but it only happened for a few years since we were the only two females in a house with 5 brothers and a father. Back in the 60’s, I never saw or tasted an avocado. I love them now and have 2 on the counter. I saw a funny meme about them along the lines of “I can’t go out tonight with you, I have an avocado that will be ripe between 6:15 and 6:30”. Have never had avocado toast, but that was my inspiration for buying them. Hopefully the full grain bread will survive by the time the avocados are ripe. I plan to smushed them on the toast and put poached eggs on top. Wish me luck!

5 Likes

Suggest trying Tajín and olive oil! My preference is for mashed :slight_smile:

So cool that she’s into cooking.

2 Likes

mine settled on lemon juice and everything bagel shake.

nice knife work !!

3 Likes

Leftover red rice fried up with a little ground Wagyu beef and scallions. If I’d had a green pepper, I’d have tossed that in, too. Served with refried beans, a fried egg, and a splash of tabasco.

6 Likes

sunshine

espresso

blueberry lemon zest whole wheat pancakes with hemp hearts.

lizard isn’t the other white meat for us today.

6 Likes

Sardine Toasts (the lizard reminded me of some sardines in the pantry :smiley:)

Season’s Brisling Sardines (i.e., smoked sprats/Latvia) on white bread toasted in olive oil w/Cajun Power Hot Pepper Garlic sauce, Ty Ling hot Chinese mustard, or ketchup.

Coffee.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I don’t usually eat breakfast, but I make it daily for my son, who is a high school senior.

It’s a rotating thing, but he picks the night before based on what I have, so it’s not always in series. Here’s the menu

• Eggs over easy on horseback (buttered toast) with sriracha squirts (he applies Siracha).
  • Eggs scrambled with cheese and leftover bacon bits, on buttered toast.
  • Sandwich of egg, sausage, cheese on toast with mayo/mustard (the sausage is home-made and 100g per patty, shaped to cover bread).
  • Eggs scrambled with home fries (potatoes), onion and cheese wrapped as burrito. Sometimes also w/ leftover sausage bits.
  • Buttermilk pancakes with one/two over easy eggs and/or home-made sausage patty.
8 Likes

Haggis toastie with Farm Boy Scottish cheddar on the left, grilled Scottish cheddar on the right . Seeded Bread from Dear Grain bakery in Toronto.

8 Likes

That’s very good of you. I only make dinners around here. Everyone is on their own for breakfast and lunch. On the weekends, breakfast is usually made for the group once, by either me or my husband. And when I’m feeling nice, I will make and freeze enchiladas or burritos so the kid can pack his lunch. He’s in 11th.

3 Likes

Beautiful plate!

2 Likes