What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Thanks!

I cannot get my son to take lunch to school. I offer leftovers of his favorites wrapped in tortillas, freshly made sandwiches, other stuff. All of his sisters were taking lunch by late middle and high school, as they weren’t happy with the cafeteria offerings. Well, he isn’t happy with them much either, but it seems it’s “a girl thing” to take lunch but not “a boy thing” to do so.

:crazy_face:

The before-school breakfasts I’ve been doing forever it seems - I guess daily since about 2002, excepting times I was traveling for business, and including most weekends as well. And generally weekend lunches I’ve always made, too.

I think I’ll be a bit lost when my son (#4 of 4 kids) heads to college next fall.

Or maybe, I’ll just sleep in some days. LoL.

I’ve mentioned before in another thread that I’ve been having a tough time transitioning from often cooking for 6-8, to more often now just cooking for 3. I’ve always got too many leftovers. Life transitions are a PITA…

5 Likes

Definitely!

1 Like

I hear you. On a lot of things. Empty nesting. Food as your love language. Less so on bringing lunch being a girl thing or, god forbid, getting up any earlier than I have to! I only have 2, but my 2nd - boy - only has a year left at home. Well, a year and a half. But it already feels like warp speed. P.S. I can’t wrap my head around cooking for 3 instead of 4, even though older boy’s been gone 2 yrs now.

2 Likes

made some kimchi-style cukes…

and another day… more eggs. just buttery scrambled on buttery toasted seeded rye.

15 Likes

I need that egg in my life.

4 Likes

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 3.50.39 PM

11 Likes

One of my favorites. Soft boiled egg, hefty pat of butter and bacon soldiers.

10 Likes

4 Likes

I think you’ve hit your salt allowance!

shocker - an egg! :stuck_out_tongue:

had a pork/broccoli rabe sandwich last night, and so inspired, this morning i had a rosemary ham/egg/provolone/broccoli rabe toast.

10 Likes

Bacon and chive scramble with flaky cheddar biscuits. There was homemade apple jelly for the pastry.

10 Likes

That biscuit looks sooo tempting! Cheddar is the one thing that doesn’t go into any “for the family” dishes here. It’s my husband’s most evil ingredient. He had a childhood cheddar trauma.

1 Like

A “Halve Hahn” in preparation for a short trip to the Rhineland. German dark rye, havarti, hot paprika, green onion. Yellow onion slices are more common, but I have to drive people around in the afternoon and didn’t deem that to be the ideal (if traditional) choice.

11 Likes

Bummer! More cheese for you, I guess.

We always have a block of sharp around, and only ever use it to make grilled cheese. Sadness.

3 Likes

Potato-and-salmon cakes with horseradish sauce and fried egg. Deets for the spud cakes on the Scraps Plus Magic Wand thread here.

7 Likes

We have a wonderful local bakery whose recent creation is a “mountain loaf” - sourdough, rye, wheat. A wonderful crunchy, flavorful crust, and a nice crumb.

Shmear on a toasted slice and topped with two small HBEs, s&p.

11 Likes

Breakfast yesterday were crepes, berries and lemon, a favorite combination. Crepes were made with cornstarch which makes for a very tender crepe.

9 Likes

Knockoff of McD’s sausage-egg-cheese McMuffin. This one is mine and I made another one earlier this morning for my son. The muffins and sausage are home made. I didn’t lay the egg or milk the cow for the cheese, though.

For my son I have to thaw the sausage patty and roll it out a bit more to thin it (and then edge-trim down to about muffin size) because he feels it overwhelms the other ingredients. My take is, One Can Never Have Too Much Sausage. But it is pretty big - these are 100 g patties. I had some of the same weight that were already thinner and bigger around, but those got used up in regular sandwich bread sized sandwiches.

Apologies for the image being so poorly focused. My phone is 7 years old and the camera is not great. It is better than this, though - I just didn’t think to check the photo quality before I ate.

That’s a 23 year old melamine Disney plate. If serving myself, I just grab whatever plastic is on top, and with 3 girls and a boy, there’re a lot more princess than Shrek. My wife laughs at me but I figure, it’s light weight and fits into the dish washer better than our ceramics, which have considerable height to them (27 mm) between the bottom rim and the edge lip/rim elevation.

10 Likes

I love the positioning of the sandwich half on Snow White’s hand. Deliberately done? Clever!!

3 Likes