What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Lol - yes, ducks without a provenance (alas).

Egg Foo Yong with tiny Oregon bay shrimp and garden veg. Leftover tsukune meatballs from last night. Homemade chili crisp.

6 Likes

They had guanabana?

Yes, I much prefer Muscovy, for fat AND blood.

I would hope the use of wild duck fat doesn’t become a thing.

Wow, I am loving your breakfasts!

2 Likes

Egg scramble with bison and eggplants.

5 Likes

Potato and onion kugel.

While sometimes I use chicken schmaltz, today I used bacon fat. Here with russets, although I’ve read that if you use Yukon Gold potatoes, you don’t have to peel them.

A bit of a job making it, but so worth it. It is massive, travels well, and holds up for days - the leftovers as good as freshly made.

Served today with a couple of fried eggs on the side.

7 Likes

This looks delicious! Any tips?

I use a food processor for grating both the onions and the spuds.

I like to grate the potatoes and soak them in cold water while I’m getting everything else ready. Then rinse briefly and wring in a tea towel to get most of the water out. That way I don’t have to worry about the spuds browning while assembling the rest of the bits, and everything comes together quickly at the end.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Here’s a photo of the inside…

10 Likes

I’m absolutely going to try this! Have you ever left the potato peels on?

I have not, but I’m tempted to every time. I love potato peels, so why not?

The only reference I’ve seen to leaving them on specified (specifically) to use Yukon spuds to that end, however.

Searching through the recipe reviews, there were a small handful of folks who didn’t peel. I’d be tempted to try - both out of laziness and for more robust flavor. Do you cook the full time?

I’ll be quite interested to hear how you like it. I use one of these to peel them - they’re really fast - but it would be nice to skip that step.

Yes. I cook the full two hours exactly, and then hit it with the broiler for about two minutes for a little extra color. It’s a solid recipe as written.

1 Like

@saregama
@ChristinaM

Also, the recipe states a “medium” onion. I use a great big one - I love how the onion permeates the kugel.

2 Likes

There is always fresh squeezed citrus juice of some sort and a latte. Today: cheese and ham and pickled mustard seeds on one toast, strawberry jam on another (even breakfast needs dessert). Bread, jam and mustard homemade, coffee home roasted, whole milk from a local dairy. Life is good.

4 Likes

Eggs, broccoli, chili crisp, sesame oil, and EBTB.

6 Likes

that looks splendid! i may make this for our Stinson Beach weekend pretty soon…

1 Like

those eggs!! dreamy!

1 Like

Thanks for curating our week of Singapore breakfasts!

:slight_smile: