What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Is that a pancake under the eggs or grits?

Pancakes, bacon and fried eggs.

1 Like

A 3 egg omelette with Munster cheese was breakfast this morning split between me and my wife

The weekend splurge. Our usual daily breakfast is 1/4 cup of dried rolled oats, with blueberries, strawberries, walnuts and 1/4 cup of almond milk

3 Likes

First time trying/making Turkish eggs - I didn’t think I could love eggs more! Basically, poached egg on warmed yogurt with spiced butter. I used 5% fat Fage yogurt, warmed with minced garlic and salt, and threw in a little crumbled feta to melt into it. Browned butter was infused with urfa biber, smoked paprika, sumac, and a touch of cayenne (out of Aleppo), broiled a few cherry tomatoes, and sprinkled fresh mint and cilantro. Toasted Acme olive bread went perfect with this. Zhoug went on after the pic, but that butter is so good, it almost didn’t need it. This will make it into the rotation for sure, and for dinner too.

6 Likes

7 Likes

A bakery in Barcelona.

Husband said he was “tired of eggs on fried potatoes”. (How can ANYONE be tired of eggs on fried potatoes???).

So, egg(s) Benedict.

11 Likes

The California cliche breakfast.

6 Likes

Still nutritious.

I miss eating avocados in Chile where it’s super normal. Chileans laugh when they hear how trendy eating avocados is the West. They eat so much of it and in so many things long long before the trend emerged. For the same price we pay here (for a net, about 5 tiny avocados) you get 2 or 3 kilos in Chile. Also, “palta” (the term used in Chile) there are the length of my forearm!

Last year in Baja Sur, I did a few private excursions with a local guide during my stay in Guerrero Negro, as soon as he became comfortable with me he had to ask “is it true millennials in the West injure their hands cutting avocado?”. I was caught off guard by the question and paused for a moment. Then I laughed and said “they reported that in Mexican papers?” and “yeah, I (me) read it, too” (in the West). The guide slapped his forehead “how stupid can they be?! They are a laughing stock here in Mexico!”. Well, not only in Mexico.

Apparently, “palta” is exclusive to Chile. In most Spanish speaking countries it’s “aguacate”, which derives from the original Nahuatl language which means testicle (take a guess why) :laughing:.

2 Likes

I’m a gen-xer so don’t want to speak for millennials, but that is funny that it is an international reputation. I guess that’s why they sell special avocado slicers. Same with bagels I hear and they also make special bagel slicers. I’ve never cut my hands slicing either one and am gadget averse, so I couldn’t see buying either unless I was running a sandwich shop.

1 Like

I slice it crosswise, squeeze out the pit, squeeze the flesh directly into my mouth. How it eat it over the sink when lazy. Otherwise I eat it with a spoon, also over the sink.

In Mexico I squeeze the flesh on warm corn tortillas, roll up and eat. Convenient on long distance bus journeys.

Nicely prepared Eggs Benedict. I like Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon …

1 Like

I have one. It was a gift. It’s still in the shrinkwrap. You can pretty much use a butter knife to cut avocados, anyway.

I adore that cliche!

I need to find out where you are buying your avocados.

Because those things are huge. Unless, of course, you’re using Melba toast or something.

Good old Safeway avocados. Bread is a giant slice of Tartine oat porridge bread, cut in half and toasted. Their loaves are giant so I usually slice and freeze most of it.

I didn’t know Americans (US) were avocado pit challenged. :joy:

CHINESENEWYEARDUCK140388277_1673999789440450_563808559873859819_o 4 for Sichuan Chinese.

4 Likes

That’s BREAKFAST? Wow. I usually just have a soft-boiled egg and toast.

3 Likes

That’s a ridiculous amount of food for breakfast! An entire suckling pig?

2 Likes