What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Trying to use up a whole side of salmon. Belly was smoked and most of the side portioned for meals. The tail section was coated in a salt, sugar mix with crushed corriander and stashed in the fridge in a covered container. The cure turned into a syrupy liquid after a few hours and the fish was flipped after several hours and left overnight.

The filet was cured nicely and made good gravlax the next morning

What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!
(ChristinaM) #492

Quickie breakfast - salty but good (fairly spicy contrary to the label)

(Dan) #493

Wow, in a jar ready to go?! That’s good to know!

(ChristinaM) #494

It is one of those seasonal/get-it-while you can products on an endcap, I think.

(Dan) #495

I’m headed there later and I will ask the staff. Thanks.

(saregama) #496

You are inspiring me to try curing salmon… I’ve been afraid to, though I love eating it!

It’s too simple not to do it often. Done it many ways and still here to tell the tail :wink: Seriously, never had an issue. Just do it!!

This salmon was a side vacuumed pack from Aldi. They get decent reviews in fish quality. It was in the freezer for 3-4 weeks to kill off any nasties. (Hoping but not worried)

(Dan) #499

Score!

(ChristinaM) #500

Nice! Did you get to ask about availability?
Had the rest of it again today and it is delicious if achingly salty.

(Dan) #501

Couldn’t get out of NJ due to weather and last min plans. Headed home with a flight on Sunday in hand.

Dinner was breakfast burrito and coffee after a long day at EWR. No fun.

Evening all
R

(Dan) #502

I found them in the end of run bin. I actually nabbed the last shakshuka from where I was standing but there was plenty HR sauce left and a pork sauce under the same label that didn’t appeal.

(Dan) #503

Soom tahini and silan on toasted EM. Outstanding.

Over the river and through the woods this morning to grandchildren’s house we go with a bag of bagels, cream cheese, butter, eggs, thick cut bacon and some sweet buns in our pj’s …shhhhh! it is a surprise…

(Gwenn) #505

Can you stop here? That sounds fund and delicious!

18 posts were split to a new topic: Home Cured Salmon Experiments - ( Gravlax, “Smoked” Salmon, Lox, etc)

LOL!!! YES…of course…it would my pleasure!!!

(Dan) #521

Maypo with sliced banana, hemp seed, flax ground and chia topping. Java and grapefruit segments.
Anyone Remember Maypo?

Yes … but I don’t remember ever having it, I do remember Wheatena though.

(Dan) #523

I still enjoy hot cereals including wheateena.