What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Trying to use up a whole side of salmon. Belly was smoked and most of the side portioned for meals. The tail section was coated in a salt, sugar mix with crushed corriander and stashed in the fridge in a covered container. The cure turned into a syrupy liquid after a few hours and the fish was flipped after several hours and left overnight.

The filet was cured nicely and made good gravlax the next morning

10 Likes

Quickie breakfast - salty but good (fairly spicy contrary to the label)

10 Likes

Wow, in a jar ready to go?! That’s good to know!

It is one of those seasonal/get-it-while you can products on an endcap, I think.

I’m headed there later and I will ask the staff. Thanks.

You are inspiring me to try curing salmon… I’ve been afraid to, though I love eating it!

1 Like

It’s too simple not to do it often. Done it many ways and still here to tell the tail :wink: Seriously, never had an issue. Just do it!!

1 Like

This salmon was a side vacuumed pack from Aldi. They get decent reviews in fish quality. It was in the freezer for 3-4 weeks to kill off any nasties. (Hoping but not worried)

Score!

1 Like

Nice! Did you get to ask about availability?
Had the rest of it again today and it is delicious if achingly salty.

Couldn’t get out of NJ due to weather and last min plans. Headed home with a flight on Sunday in hand.

Dinner was breakfast burrito and coffee after a long day at EWR. No fun.

Evening all
R

2 Likes

I found them in the end of run bin. I actually nabbed the last shakshuka from where I was standing but there was plenty HR sauce left and a pork sauce under the same label that didn’t appeal.

1 Like

Soom tahini and silan on toasted EM. Outstanding.

6 Likes

Over the river and through the woods this morning to grandchildren’s house we go with a bag of bagels, cream cheese, butter, eggs, thick cut bacon and some sweet buns in our pj’s …shhhhh! it is a surprise…

9 Likes

Can you stop here? That sounds fund and delicious!

1 Like

18 posts were split to a new topic: Home Cured Salmon Experiments - ( Gravlax, “Smoked” Salmon, Lox, etc)

LOL!!! YES…of course…it would my pleasure!!!

1 Like

Maypo with sliced banana, hemp seed, flax ground and chia topping. Java and grapefruit segments.
Anyone Remember Maypo?

2 Likes

Yes … but I don’t remember ever having it, I do remember Wheatena though.

I still enjoy hot cereals including wheateena.