What's for breakfast (aka what's going to happen exciting today)?

Bacon and chive scramble with flaky cheddar biscuits. There was homemade apple jelly for the pastry.

10 Likes

That biscuit looks sooo tempting! Cheddar is the one thing that doesn’t go into any “for the family” dishes here. It’s my husband’s most evil ingredient. He had a childhood cheddar trauma.

1 Like

A “Halve Hahn” in preparation for a short trip to the Rhineland. German dark rye, havarti, hot paprika, green onion. Yellow onion slices are more common, but I have to drive people around in the afternoon and didn’t deem that to be the ideal (if traditional) choice.

11 Likes

Bummer! More cheese for you, I guess.

We always have a block of sharp around, and only ever use it to make grilled cheese. Sadness.

3 Likes

Potato-and-salmon cakes with horseradish sauce and fried egg. Deets for the spud cakes on the Scraps Plus Magic Wand thread here.

7 Likes

We have a wonderful local bakery whose recent creation is a “mountain loaf” - sourdough, rye, wheat. A wonderful crunchy, flavorful crust, and a nice crumb.

Shmear on a toasted slice and topped with two small HBEs, s&p.

11 Likes

Breakfast yesterday were crepes, berries and lemon, a favorite combination. Crepes were made with cornstarch which makes for a very tender crepe.

9 Likes

Knockoff of McD’s sausage-egg-cheese McMuffin. This one is mine and I made another one earlier this morning for my son. The muffins and sausage are home made. I didn’t lay the egg or milk the cow for the cheese, though.

For my son I have to thaw the sausage patty and roll it out a bit more to thin it (and then edge-trim down to about muffin size) because he feels it overwhelms the other ingredients. My take is, One Can Never Have Too Much Sausage. But it is pretty big - these are 100 g patties. I had some of the same weight that were already thinner and bigger around, but those got used up in regular sandwich bread sized sandwiches.

Apologies for the image being so poorly focused. My phone is 7 years old and the camera is not great. It is better than this, though - I just didn’t think to check the photo quality before I ate.

That’s a 23 year old melamine Disney plate. If serving myself, I just grab whatever plastic is on top, and with 3 girls and a boy, there’re a lot more princess than Shrek. My wife laughs at me but I figure, it’s light weight and fits into the dish washer better than our ceramics, which have considerable height to them (27 mm) between the bottom rim and the edge lip/rim elevation.

10 Likes

I love the positioning of the sandwich half on Snow White’s hand. Deliberately done? Clever!!

3 Likes

Yes, sometimes real estate gets tight in the dishwasher. I have these smaller “odd ball” square bread plates that I’ll serve various items on (grilled cheese, etc.).
My brain is always upset if I have dishes that are a “hold over” until the next day because there wasn’t enough room in the dishwasher.

2 Likes

Thanks, but just a lucky accident.

Yeah, I’ve got those sandwich-sized plates, too. High rim, barely fits anywhere (although rotating 45° or “corner down” helps a bit). We don’t use them too often as they’re leftovers from an older set.

Café con Tres Leches for breakfast

7 Likes

“German breakfast” for ONE (!!) from the bistro across our hotel, which my PIC and I split between the two of us: 1 croissant, 1 Brötchen (aka the best breakfast rolls in Germany), 1 seeded breakfast roll, 2 big slabs of brie, 2 slices of gouda, 2 slices of ham, 3 packs of butter, 1 pack of Nutella, 1 pack of apricot jam, 1 pack of strawberry jam, and scrambled eggs – all of that for 11.50€ total.

The eggs were scrambled a bit hard for my taste, and sprinkled with dried parsley…. Def one of my pet peeves. You might as well throw confetti on food instead, bc that’s what dried parsley is: flavorless, dusty-ass sprinkles.

I also ordered a glass of milk (my ideal breakfast drink is a glass of cold 2% milk) and was surprised to see it come in a fancy glass with a long spoon and a cookie. It also looked rather frothy for milk. Turns out I’d ordered from the warm beverages section in my jet-lag fog. It was replaced at no charge… with room temp milk. Oh, well.

The whole affair (+ 1 café au lait & 1 cappuccino) was 23€ including tip. Not too shabby.

12 Likes

Not as bad as what I encountered in a restaurant in California: my Eggs Benedict were dusted with cayenne :rage:

But at least cayenne has flavor.

I can’t get past the heat to discover the flavor!

2 Likes

Yayy! Looks like you both made it to the other land mass safely and on schedule? Did you have the ‘chicken or pasta’ airplane meal you were dreading or were you able to find a decent airport meal?

That is a breakfast for one? One human? Like an athlete or lumberjack using hand tools? It looks delicious, and I agree with you on the dried parsley (and cilantro).

I would welcome cayenne on almost anything, and surely on breakfast eggs.

Hope your mother is comfortable? Your sister must be relieved that you have arrived.

2 Likes

Bacon, Boursin and Fried egg sandwich

And an :nazar_amulet: egg

10 Likes

My kind of breakfast!

When summer rolls around try this: Boursin-stuffed zucchini blossoms lightly steamed, served with a concassé of tomatoes.

5 Likes