What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Well your empty serving dish is testament to the fact it was excellent! I’m hungry thinking about it.

1 Like

Was really surprised as to all the extra flavor.
Red pepper, red onion, 7 cloves garlic, 5 green onions, spices, better than bouillon, leftover chicken thigh, pasta water, Romano/Parmigiano and some gochugaru, along with my favorite orecchiette…oh my…

2 Likes

Yeah the Gochugang is good stuff - have a full container in the fridge. Glad you enjoyed your tasty and creative meal! All your food looks good and so much variety when you do a grill night.

2 Likes

What nice words to wake up to. Thanks @Lambchop !

1 Like

Just an FYI here for the uninitiated:

Gochugaru is a coarsely ground Korean chili powder similar to crushed red pepper flakes in texture, traditionally made from sun-dried peppers without the seeds.

Gochujang – It is made with Gochugaru but has some ingredients such as sticky rice, salt, and soybeans to make a paste.

3 Likes

If you like Korean ingredients I would also suggest y’all check out the (fermented) soy bean pastes. They are like miso on steroid. Note that there are several types. For soup/cooking and as a condiment. I often put a spoon of any of these pastes in a cup and add boiling water to it for a quick savoury drink.

The pastes usually come in tubs like in photo.

7 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve always been intrigued by those pastes. Is there an easy way to differentiate between those for cooking and those used as a condiment?

1 Like

You might get more detailed labels there (full translation of all Korean texts, maybe?). Here the info is very minimal, only says “use as a condiment”, or “cooking/in soup”, “fermented soy bean paste”.

Also, the colours of the tubs indicate how strong or salty the pastes are. Try the lighter colour(s) first and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Wow - that’s interesting and smart about the color of the tubs. Good to know. Thx

1 Like

Took my second shot at Chicharron with some Iberico Secreto Barriguera. A thin flat piece from the belly with a lot of fat, albeit good Iberico fat, I got it in my head to make Chicharron.
First attempt at Chicharron resulted in many burned pieces but had more success this time. Pieces were thin so didn’t take too long.
Got the crisp down, even too much for some of the smaller pieces. Chicharron is forgiving though and still very tasty.
Next time would marinate the pork, and fry a bit less.
Thyme, garlic, bay leaf, herbabuena, salt, water to cover. Boil until water evaporates and pork is soft. Dry pork, I put in freezer for a few minutes.
Return to pan and brown all sides to desired doneness. Serve with Criolla, sweet potato and roll. Or black-eyed peas and rice like I did.

10 Likes

Just popping in to say I tried mayo instead of butter for a rarely made grilled cheese. The loss of flavor from the butter had me rethinking my decision every bite. Good bread crisping in the pan though.

4 Likes

Agree completely, but had to try it at least once.

Put a brisket in last night, burnt ends currently going

11 Likes

I can smell that from here. I admire you Brisket People for sure.

2 Likes

That looks so good! Do enjoy - brisket is my fav! We’re keeping it more simple than usual, but we are having fresh home ground brisket burgers for dinner. Yum. Happy 4th of July!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Been a week or two but back outside.
Cajun salmon, gochujang chicken and scratch salads. Had some franks and beans recently, too.
Tasty.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Don’t call it a cheesesteak.

I have no grill and a very sensitive smoke alarm that went off last time I tried to sear a steak. Grabbed a manager’s special NY strip steak this morning and decided to get creative. First I cleaned it up and then sliced the meat thin against the grain:

I quick seared the pieces so as not to disturb the smoke nanny and then put the cooked strips with some horseradish cheddar pub cheese and fried onions into a half pie crust. I coated the crust with some Chicago beef gravy spice and baked.

The result was eaten dipped in a sauce of pure Heinz ketchup :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes