What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

The food looks great @KAOSKitchen but I want to know more about how to get these fringe benefits!

4 Likes

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Started the day off right…

14 Likes

Celebrating Purim, here’s the link to our dinner last night.

At Home 2022: Purim Dinner for Two | The Wizard of Roz (wordpress.com)

8 Likes

That looks wonderful - I love stuffed cabbage!

1 Like

Wagyu Beef Chorizo Empanadas. With potato, scallions, and hard-boiled egg. Discos a bit dry from freezer and didn’t stay together in fryer, except for the first one. Fried one, lost two, then baked the rest. Mmmm…chorizo.

10 Likes

Grillin’ strip, burger, shrimps.

Garlic Shrimp

10 Likes
2 Likes

In case you were wondering, a pork shoulder defrosted in the cryovac does not keep for two weeks. That was an interesting stank! It was not the plan to keep for so long as I was going to cook it and send it back to school with my son the previous week. But life gets in the way and I had to go out of town unexpectedly. Even though it was cold I had the day Sunday to smoke something so after disposing of the rotting hunk and disinfecting the house I ran to the closest place which happened to be Whole Foods for ribs and a piece of belly. I had started the fire and was not going to waste that, too :smiley:

Down and dirty prepackaged rubs, at 165 I wrapped the belly and took it to 200. Fat was rendered beautifully and it melted in your mouth. Ribs were good, not great. However last night the leftover ribs and pieces of belly made some nice collards.

9 Likes

Impressive sir. Care to share your collards recipe, that is one green that I enjoy having, but suck at making. FYI my local favorite collard greens is from Local Smoke.

1 Like

Honestly it was a first go around for me, and I’m sure southern grammas are rolling their eyes at my method. I looked at a bunch of “traditional” recipes and kind of used that for inspiration. In addition to the cooked belly and ribs I had a hunk of pancetta that needed to be used so I sweated that in the pot as I prepped the greens. Rinsed greens and put them in pot, added chicken stock, some ACV and a dash or three of fish sauce. Added in the cooked meats and let that boil/simmer away for an hour and a half.

It worked out, lol.

4 Likes

Please, what is ACV?

sorry, apple cider vinegar

1 Like

Thanks, your meats and greens look delicious. Too bad about the spoiled meat, but things do happen sometimes, maddening as it is.

2 Likes

I’ve got to try the apple cider vinegar; I used a shot of white vinegar.

2 Likes

The insurance adjuster in me went straight to actual cash value

2 Likes
5 Likes

I am picturing my knife and fork making their way through that belly. Belly bucket list.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I grilled beef last night. I loved to make it anyways. its ingredients are so simple and easy to make.

2 Likes

This is mostly a post to shill Iberico pork. If you are priced out of the more sought after cuts like Pluma and Secreto, seek out Presa, Solomillo (tenderloin), Lomo (striploin) or Frenched Racks. Such an upgrade to other pork.
A grill shot with Lomo and a grilled NY Strip shark jump shot.

TheFonz

10 Likes