What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

that’s the way to butter toast, brava!

2 Likes

That looks really good!

1 Like

Thank you. I had a half batch of the tofu saved from the same dish a few weeks ago, so that much was ready. I delegated the cucumber salad and managed the rest. Tonight we ate out!

2 Likes

Good for you because you most certainly earned it!

This post has made me realize what my bucket list consists of: pig in a caja china. Thank you for this write up!

5 Likes

We enjoyed steamed Dungeness crabs (from Costco) with drawn butter and truffle zest, along with homemade guacamole and chips, and TJ’s sweet potato fries (not pictured). It went great with an excellent Oakville Napa cabernet. For dessert we enjoyed a decadent Caroline’s caramel cake, with Haagen Dazs bourbon praline, and bourbon vanilla truffle ice cream.

23 Likes

Oh my, bourbon and praline, that’s definitely on my grocery list.

3 Likes

Crispy sour cream and chive chicken. parsley potatoes and tomato, cucumber salad with o&v dressing.

21 Likes

Beef and asparagus fried rice using leftover Basmati from last night. Also egg, scallion, garlic, and ginger. Beef marinated in a Korean spicy BBQ sauce.

22 Likes

That’s one of my top favourite salads. Fond memories of family meals together from my childhood. Thanks for sharing a walk down memory lane.

1 Like

Is your spicy BBQ sauce homemade or purchased at the Korean grocery?
I’m just learning Korean so very interesting for me.

1 Like

James Beard’s Pleasant Pasta. This year’s first pick of fresh asparagus from the garden, with baby garden peas (from frozen).

23 Likes

@ BeefeaterRocks

Is this the NYT chicken recipe?

I made cod-and-potato cakes from a Cook’s Illustrated recipe.

This was a radical departure from our usual Fishy Friday routine: the fresh cod I get from the fishmonger is usually steamed in the microwave with butter and lots of Old Bay. I love it, but I’m a bit tired of it after two years of Fridays. So I decided to mix it up.

After steaming russet potatoes in the microwave, then cooling, skinning and ricing them, I parcooked the fish in sauteed green onions, garlic, herbs and butter, and then carefully mixed and binded it all together with egg, and then formed fragile patties which had to be frozen briefly before coating in panko (that itself had to be smashed with a rolling pin) , AND THEN FINALLY FRYING THE SUCKERS… they were sort of meh. I made a quick Old Bay mayo sauce and that helped.

Bummer.

14 Likes

An evening out with my friend, J…at where else, but Dali. Its been at least 6 months, so long overdue. Lots of sangria, and it was SO wonderful to see a full bar and restaurant after 2 years of extra table spacing and less than capacity!

I remembered to take pics of the first tapa, Patatas Bravas, and an empty Garlic Shrimp cazuela, and our dessert of Churros with Creme Catalana and Chocolate sauces. But for tapas, we also had beef tenderloin on toast with roasted red peppers and roast duck with berry sauce.

No surprise I remembered the pic of Licor 43 (with Julio hamming it up behind), and the Wall of Tears with the restored lingerie (the City of Somerville had them take it down years sgo…I guess bras are fine now).

It was a spectacular night of good drinks, great food, and amazing friendship. Just what I needed.

23 Likes

Yes it is.

1 Like

Thank you!

They were like piranhas and when the wave disappeared only the bones were left. They even ate the APPLE!

5 Likes

You need to do it. It is an experience. Maybe not of a lifetime, but you will be able to trade on those stories for a LONG time.

5 Likes

I had penne al vodka last night. I pulled some homemade marinara out of the freezer and used it to make the sauce. I broke the pasta law and used the little bits of cavatappi and penne that I had hanging out in the cabinet. I know you aren’t supposed to cook different types of pasta together b/c they have different cooking times but that combination seemed to work. It was good and I have leftovers for like 2 more meals.

16 Likes