What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

My usual is Vodka Soda cold, no ice tall. But for some reason Vodka Martinis are a big no for me. Now gin on the other hand…dangerous.

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad. Details and pictures in the main WFD thread below.

1 Like

Iberico Abanico, NZ GF Ribeye, potatoes, tomatoes, baby kale, mushrooms, scallions, jalapenos. Good eating.

9 Likes

Tried my hand at making a Porchetta. Feel good about look and taste but I lost the
Crispiness, crunch of a good Porchetta.

Any thoughts? Help?

15 Likes

@seal ??

1 Like

That looks great. My only suggestion, which you may have done, is to score the skin with a very sharp thin knife or a razor blade to expose more of the fat layer beneath.

3 Likes

I punctured it with a fork. Dried with paper towel then salted and brushed white vinegar on it.
Heated 325 around 120 min then low broil 5 min a side. Skin had more of a chew then a crunch

2 Likes

The only method I’ve had any success with for crispy skin is to crisp it after it is cooked in a 500 degree or hotter oven for a few minutes.

3 Likes

Basically what I do is:

Slice the pork crosswise as you have done, and press with your hands to flatten. Rub the pork with fennel, coriander and crushed peppercorns and then drizzle with 1 / 4 cup of Extra virgin olive oil from Italia. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours, turning one time.

Preheat your oven or broiler or grill and season the pork with salt and freshly ground peppercorns and heat the remaining Evoo and an 82% fat butter (I use French butter or Asturian, Spanish butter and coat the pork with the heated mixture … And continue to grill or roast or broil.

This shall provide the crispiness.

3 Likes

Looks real tasty. I too have wanted to get a nice crispy skin on some dishes but have had mixed results. This Pork Shank recipe has me wanting to experiment. It looks delicious. The skin is crispy as a result of many incisions into the skin with knife or pin, then finished with the high heat. Maybe the method would work here.

3 Likes

Mrs. P made whole red snapper that we bought at H Mart. Below is a link to the pictures and details in the main WFD thread.

3 Likes

@Oldandtired

Here are 2 photographs of my roast pork tenderloin from Christmas 2020 …

11 Likes

Where can I get this in NJ south of the Driscoll Bridge and north of 195 and east of the Turnpike?

1 Like

That second photo makes me want to jump in and take a gravy shower. Will definitely try this one… Have skewers just need some shanks. Hopefully someday soon.

2 Likes

That is a nice crisp without being burned. Nicely done.

3 Likes

Still grilling. Garlic and Yogurt marinated Lamb Chops with Iberico St Louis Ribs.

15 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Gave the grill a rest for some garlic surf and turf. Garlic seems to go with everything.

12 Likes
3 Likes

Looks fantastic. Pooch too

2 Likes