What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Ahhmazing Cajun chicken chorizo egg benny at Turning Point in Little Silver. Excellent service and delicious food. :yum:

8 Likes

• Cooked up some of my childhood favorites tonight :yum: Chicken Milanese with some buttery organic mashed potatoes and sweet peas .

10 Likes

Mrs. P prepared a real feast tonight. Details and pictures are in the main WFD thread below.

3 Likes

This was modeled after my favorite dish at the now defunct restaurant Trattoria Rustica, which was in Matawan, NJ. Rigatoni tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with chicken, mushrooms, asparagus, and a roasted red pepper garnish (makes all the difference actually). It was called Dolcezza. I used to go there all the time and even worked there for a short time in high school. A very under-the-radar Italian restaurant in our area. Did anyone ever eat there?

Shop Rite was out of cream so I had to settle for light cream. While the flavor is the same, it lacked the velvety texture the original had. Still, I would definitely make it again. A good summer pasta dish.

7 Likes

That does look tasty… but chicken in a pasta dish, i just dont know.

Granted, i do break some of the rules myself when it comes to pasta (like I do bury my seafood pastas in grated Locatelli, a no-no to Italians).

So to each their own.

I’ve never heard of chicken and pasta being a no-no, and I come from a very Italian family. Fish and cheese on the other hand…

3 Likes

Does the no fish and cheese apply to shrimp? I hope not as I love shrimp parm!

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing! I’m NOT Italian, but any fish/seafood with any cheese is one of those things I’ve never understood.

2 Likes

I used to have an office up the road from there and had many a lunches there. I had become quite friendly with the owner (whose name current escapes me) who was actually Greek and not Italian. The last time I topped in there, a couple years ago, he informed me his wife had passed away and you could see in his eyes he didn’t “have it” anymore to continue.

Since I was only there for lunch I’ve only tried his pies, wraps and salads all of which were always very good. He at one time owned the burger place in the same plaza, I don’t think he ran it for long but I remember he took it over at one point.

Meal looks great, thanks for the walk down memory lane. lol

2 Likes

No, I love shrimp parm. Shell fish does not count.

We were not big “regular” fish eaters anyway so its not like it was our family rule, per se.

1 Like

Sorry, i should have been more clear. I meant shellfish based pasta - thats where i use cheese. i would never put cheese on a piece of regular fish. except maybe the once-a-decade filet o fish from mcd’s.

1 Like

Tuna Melt.

2 Likes

No cheese on these, though. Last night on Otok Šolta, somewhere in the Adriatic.

5 Likes

Nor these…

5 Likes

Oh yes, George was his name and he was quite Greek. His wife, the one who passed, was a guidance counselor at my HS. I don’t think the restaurant lasted longer than a year after she died.

There was only one Greek item on the menu: an appetizer sampler with spanakopita, hummus, tzatziki, olives, feta, and pita bread.

2 Likes

You know, when I was a kid, I loved tuna melts. Perkins actually had a good one. Then somewhere around my early 20’s, I found the concept ghastly.

I was teaching and ordered a tuna sub from the cafeteria. I took one bite and the odor of bad tuna smacked me right in the face and it was too late to spit it out. Never had tuna (the sandwich kind-- I’ll eat it in sushi) ever again and the concept of heating it up and covering it with cheese is :nauseated_face:.

1 Like

So my new sardine au gratin sandwich idea is no good? :grin:

1 Like

Maybe If you put it on a brioche bun from somewhere like Antoinettes in Red Bank!!

1 Like

I’m not Italian either, and I used to make chicken cacciatore that I would serve with pasta. But the thought of chicken on pizza, especially bbq chicken, makes me feel queasy. Thought it was just me!

1 Like

Chicken Cacciatore was a mainstay while growing up, and always served over rigatoni.

Not a big fan of chicken on pizza either, though a couple places around here do a good buffalo chicken pie. There is something about it though-- it can’t go on raw and so its basically getting cooked twice which can make it leathery and weird.

1 Like