What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Yeah, he has what looks like a wine fridge but it’s called a steak ager (that’s the brand). If you check out his channels you’ll see plenty of info about what he does and how. And the results are delicious!

What kind of red pepper do you use. I assume the green is a milder pepper? I use jalapeno but leave them large for people who don’t want the heat. I know ceviche is not supposed to be too spicy, but I like it.

Do you ever use aji amarillo (If I’ve asked this previously…apologies. I’m getting deja vu) If so, how does it get used quantity wise?

Some of these guys became ceviche yesterday.

11 Likes

Oh man, that looks delicious!
The red pepper is Aji Limo, available whole frozen in bags at Exito. We use one with seeds for a batch, 2 if we are looking for real heat. We used 3 once…once.
Aji Amarillo is the most popular pepper. GF mixes the jarred paste with mayo for dipping. Also available frozen in bags, used in many dishes. Similar in use to jalapeños but mostly see in matchstrips. Evidently there is a way to cut the pepper for each dish and if you do it wrong, it can’t be used. GF rules.
Aji Panca is the smokey one, Guajillo-like but only get that one jarred.
When I get to Peru someday, looking forward to the bounty of fresh peppers and variety of potatoes.

3 Likes

Thanks. A Peruvian guy gave me the recipe originally…he’s pretty adamant about the way to do things as well. I’ve bastardized it a bit over the years so I’ll have to have him give me a refresher.

2 Likes

Angus Teres Major with Aji Panca marinated Chicken Thighs and Game Sausages. Buffalo Chipotle very good.
First time trying Teres Major. Very tender with good flavor. Got lazy and didn’t remove the silver skin but will next time. Can see many uses for this cut.
Served with GF favorite iceberg lettuce and Spanish Potatoes.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Gotta respect on the open charcoal flame!

2 Likes

Deck is looking good as always Mr P!

2 Likes

Thank you Mr. Met!

Grilling and enjoying the weather.
Texas Wagyu Sirloin Flap, Iberico Abanico cut, Kurobuta Hot Dogs (the best), Aji Panca Chicken, Peruvian Shrimp, Salmon.

11 Likes

Since I can’t eat a dessert pie anymore ( lousy doctors trying to keep me healthy by advising me to cut out sugar ) I decided to make a savory pie. This one is a truffled chicken, spinach, and cheddar folded hand pie with a caramelized ( burnt ) cheddar edge to the crust.

10 Likes

Turned some leftovers into orecchiette with chicken, red pepper, scallion, garlic and what turned out to be the secret ingredient… gochugaru.
I had picked up some gochugaru a couple of years ago and wasted it. HMart was on the agenda and bought some along with sesame oil and gochujang.
Looking forward to more uses of gochugaru.

7 Likes

Well your empty serving dish is testament to the fact it was excellent! I’m hungry thinking about it.

1 Like

Was really surprised as to all the extra flavor.
Red pepper, red onion, 7 cloves garlic, 5 green onions, spices, better than bouillon, leftover chicken thigh, pasta water, Romano/Parmigiano and some gochugaru, along with my favorite orecchiette…oh my…

2 Likes

Yeah the Gochugang is good stuff - have a full container in the fridge. Glad you enjoyed your tasty and creative meal! All your food looks good and so much variety when you do a grill night.

2 Likes

What nice words to wake up to. Thanks @Lambchop !

1 Like

Just an FYI here for the uninitiated:

Gochugaru is a coarsely ground Korean chili powder similar to crushed red pepper flakes in texture, traditionally made from sun-dried peppers without the seeds.

Gochujang – It is made with Gochugaru but has some ingredients such as sticky rice, salt, and soybeans to make a paste.

3 Likes

If you like Korean ingredients I would also suggest y’all check out the (fermented) soy bean pastes. They are like miso on steroid. Note that there are several types. For soup/cooking and as a condiment. I often put a spoon of any of these pastes in a cup and add boiling water to it for a quick savoury drink.

The pastes usually come in tubs like in photo.

7 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve always been intrigued by those pastes. Is there an easy way to differentiate between those for cooking and those used as a condiment?

1 Like

You might get more detailed labels there (full translation of all Korean texts, maybe?). Here the info is very minimal, only says “use as a condiment”, or “cooking/in soup”, “fermented soy bean paste”.

Also, the colours of the tubs indicate how strong or salty the pastes are. Try the lighter colour(s) first and see how it goes.

3 Likes