What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Well, staying on the pork bandwagon I thought I’d share this. My daughter has a friend who runs a small farm in Mendham. (yes, Mendham) Due to the vagaries of butchery laws I will say we received half a pig from him. Not a fancy Iberico but a quite lovely 7/8 Berkshire and 1/8 Gloucester Old Spot mutt :smiley: They only raise a few pigs, most of what they do is sheep.

I’ve only had a small leg roast so far and the skirt steak and they were amazing. It is our first foray into getting meats locally and it is well worth it.
(That one slice of roast looks more under than it was…don’t come for me pork police!)

13 Likes

My Passover Seder meals blogpost:

At Home 2022: Passover Seder Dinners for Three | The Wizard of Roz (wordpress.com)

3 Likes

Not really fried rice, but similar. Someday I might try to authenticate it but then I think it ain’t broke, so I ain’t fixing it.

10 Likes
1 Like

Truffled mac n cheese. I used to shy away from making this as I’ve never found a decent truffle oil, but this black truffle sauce from Elle Esse is mostly truffle and tastes great. Now if only I can do something about the color …

10 Likes
4 Likes

When the weather dictates the meals. Chicken Soup and Lamb Shanks.

8 Likes

Oh my…

10 Likes

Gosh darn-it that looks friggin delicious!!! Yes I have shank envy!! (Hey it’s 2022 a man can admit admiration for another man’s shank!)

If I may ask what are the deep red chopped items vegetables for the shank? Red onion? (looks like chopped beets but I can’t imagine that taste profile) Also any wine used in the sauce?

Looks amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks and happy to take shank compliments from anyone. First time making shanks and they came out pretty good. Rainbow carrots with celery and onions. Added Rossi Hearty Burgundy, chicken stock and a can of crushed tomato along with olives and capers. 3 hours later…
Now getting ready to hit that Derby Super later today!

2 Likes

That’s why I asked the question, I make shank/osso bucco a few times a year. I can honestly say I’ve probably never made it the same way twice. The beauty of it is besides the carrots and onions you can throw in any number of seasoning and tomato based products.

You’ve probably got it down to a science. There are some things I will change for next time.
I lived with a pescatarian for 20 years and rarely cooked meat at home, mostly got my fix on the outside. Now GF is a big meat eater and I’m working for a specialty meats distributor. Watching chefs and cooks at work for years and also taking seasoning hints from GF has elevated my game and I couldn’t be happier as a amateur cook. It also doesn’t hurt that I sold kitchen eq and supplies so I’ve got all the tools, probably too many.
I also recently did a full scroll through this thread. You all put out some good looking food.

3 Likes

Thank you sir! I’ve spent some time in commercial kitchens having grown up in the bus. I also have kept a hand in the industry over the years.

Do you offer delivery??? :star_struck: :star_struck:

2 Likes

A recipe I’ve always wanted to try, completely mistranslated as 1,000 clove of garlic steak. I have no idea why it’s called that.

11 Likes

I’m not sure either but my guess is it has something to do with the amount of garlic used? Not sure just a guess.

( I request an after pic and review of how it is )

1 Like

Beouf Bourguinone — perfect for our main meal lunch on a day with nasty weather.

12 Likes

Looks delicious. Love your plate!!

1 Like

Yes, it was delicious. A Pierre Franey recipe. First time I made it.

The plate is from a dinnerware set we bought in Limoges, France, in 1999 and had shipped home. Amazingly, everything arrived in perfect condition.

4 Likes

A day late since the wife wasn’t feeling so well on Mother’s Day but bourbon/brown sugar skirt steak courtesy of Monmouth Meats. Always a winner

16 Likes